Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tlempicke

Flat Tire - Now What?

8 posts in this topic

I just got my Smart Cabriolet a week ago and it is a very pleasant car. It just kind of followed me home from the dealership and now my wife is feeding it so I guess it is here to stay. One question that I never thought to ask (Even though I have had this thing on order for a year) is where is the spare tire? What happens when I get a flat?

The smart does not come with a spare tire. It does have a repair kit for minor punctures that includes a 12v compressor.A major blow out will have you calling smart assist to be flat bedded to a dealer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yep, no spare... just like a motorcycle. If you get a flat, you try a DYI repair; otherwise road-side assistance. However, if you are out of country, you are most likely on your own. Some have bought an extra front tire & rim along with a small scissor jack. This spare can be stored behind the drivers seat if you move the seat forward a bit.

Edited by Tom P.

I have bought an spare front wheel mag and tyre and it lays flat in the boot behind the driver seat. The jack I bought fits inside of the spare wheel, must still make cover for it and now I can travel with pease of mind.pwven

I also bought a spare front tire and placed it behind the passenget seat. The sissor jack I bought at Princess Auto for $12 and keep a socket and powerbar in the glove box under the drivers seat. The tire has a home made cover over it to keep things neat and tidy. This is after my first flat tire as it was over 3 hours before I was back on the road, never again. well worth the $$ to outfit the little fella.

If you use a spare tire that is sized for the front and install it on the rear due to a flat, will the ABS, ESP, TC programs be affected due to differing tire rotation speeds? Will the smart go into limp mode?

The outside diameter of the tires is the same.-Iain