Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schmimbo

Oh My God! Im Gonna Smash Someone At Smart

19 posts in this topic

I get to my office today Sunday to do some work while the phones are quiet.

I see that I have a message on my voice mail. It’s smart USA calling and leaving a message. Wow cool. Maybe my notice to configure. Maybe an orphan availability locally with no dealer gouging.

Message says:

"Hi This Is Smart USA calling you to confirm your CANCELLATION of your $99.00 reservation from May of last year. Your local dealer in WINSTON SALEM called for you because of your in person request to cancel your reservation at your local dealer. You should receive your $99.00 refund check within 5 to 7 business days. If there is anything we could have done differently during this process to keep your business please give us a call at 1-800-762-7887."

:huh::o:angry:

Ummm..... excuse me? Cancellation notice? Refund check on its way?... :o

Ummm excuse me? I’m here on the west coast in Southern California not in Winston Salem. WTF? :o

So I immediately called the 1-800 number (hands trembling) at the same time trying to stop my heart attack from happening and ask to speak to the exact person who left this message on my voice mail.

I’m fortunate enough to get this guy on the phone to say WTF?

I never cancelled my order and in fact where’s my damn Configure email already? He confirms my name, my address, my phone number and my email.

I asked who cancelled my order. Because surely I did not cancel and I still want my smart after all this time waiting and being so called "PATIENT".

He said my dealer did in Winston Salem called for me. OH MY GOD! So smart checks their records and puts me on hold. Heart pouding that its all over! We are sorry Tim, somebody else with the same exact first name and the same exact last name as yours and a reservation holder cancelled their order at the Winston Salem smart dealer. So we crossed names and the information with yours. We are very sorry." :o Your name is still on the list and you are still a reservation holder. We are sorry for the inconvenience. :o

So I asked them since I had somebody on the phone. When am I going to get my config email so I don’t have to worry about this. This is craziness. According to smart USA every reservation holder will get their config email by end of May, 2008. Wait a minute. Everyone? Why the push now? People that just reserved today will get their config email by the end of May? How is that fair? He said yes. We are trying to speed up the config process for all reservation holders. Un FREAKIN real!

Can you imagine if I was out of town/country on business and receiving $99.00 check refund from smart and having to start this SH$% all over again with reserving and waiting another year again because of some technical/human mistake detail at smart corporate? I would have thrown in the towel and went back to buy that freaking orphan and bent over for the dealer to take my money or just said screw it and forget the whole damn thing. I’m pretty much at my whits end with this deal at this point. By the time the car gets here (if it ever gets here) right now I will be too burned out from this process that I wont want it or enjoy having it. Have patience. Patience my A$$! I want my smart not my $99.00 back or the headaches and frustrations of waiting.

Amazing story. You cant make SH%* up like this. Just unreal!

Thats a real bummer Schmimbo. You definitely deserve to be on a VIP orphan waiting list.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just hook me up with the first fully loaded USA 451 Brabus and I might think about forgiving them for this. Maybe!

Edited by Schmimbo

What a gong show. I think I would have had a heart attack if I'd been in your place. Sounds like you were much more polite than I could have managed on the phone as well.

So, grasshopper Schmimbo, you have had your first lesson in the way of smart. These exercises will help you to learn the patience and self-control that is necessary to truly commune with your new vehicle. Yes, there will be more trials to come, for which you must prepare yourself.

We continue to seek the recipe for the Ultimate smartini, the perfect liquid aid all to help prepare all smarties/smartians/smartiens/smartists. Except those chosen few who have already attained the holy state of ensmartenment.

Bil :sun:

p.s. tongue planted mostly, but NOT completely, in cheek.

So, grasshopper Schmimbo, you have had your first lesson in the way of smart. These exercises will help you to learn the patience and self-control that is necessary to truly commune with your new vehicle. Yes, there will be more trials to come, for which you must prepare yourself.

We continue to seek the recipe for the Ultimate smartini, the perfect liquid aid all to help prepare all smarties/smartians/smartiens/smartists. Except those chosen few who have already attained the holy state of ensmartenment.

Bil :sun:

p.s. tongue planted mostly, but NOT completely, in cheek.

Got your smartini right here.

One of my favorite concoctions, but definitely not a SMART idea to drink and drive. They call this "tie-dye tea".

crushed ice

chambord

midori melon

blue curacao

amaretto

top with sour soda and 7up

throw in vodka or rum for an extra kicker

cheers,

robin850

Bil: :D Actually, I find it to be an understandable mistake on their part: It's very likely that there would be several customers with the last name 'Schmimbo', but somewhat surprising that they would have the exact same first name as well. Chalk it up to the price of having a common moniker?! I have faith it'll all work out and be worth the wait.

Please no more lessons... Please. As we all know Schmimbo is my nick name and not my real name.Depending on who you talk to in my family. My real name is not that common like John Smith but still very surprising to me. I know there are more people in the world with my name and spelling. But also buying a smart? Odds are dwindling on that one. Yes I know its a mistake on smarts part but cmon. What if I didnt get the message? Could have been total disaster for me getting a smart in 08.I honestly thought it was somebody playing a joke on me or even worse found my information somewhere and cancelled my order just to F with me.

More likely it was the person adjacent to you in the list who cancelled and the operator who did the data entry clicked through the wrong one.I think the guy ahead of you pretending your name was really schwimbo was just making a joke. You're too mad to appreciate it perhaps, but he did put a smiley face and some folks (like me) appreciate that when we're upset. I like something silly to calm me down. Others just feel they've been made light of.Speaking of which, it could be that others, like those working in the office of the smart corporation (cube dwellers) don't appreciate the urgency of your cause. They may think that waiting for your new thing shouldn't be so urgent. So they may not put as much importance on your problem. Thinking you can just wait a little longer. Lots of people would actually feel that way themselves, or at least think they would if they were in your shoes.Doesn't make it ok, or nice for you, but I find a little perspective helps me cope when things go awry.When all is said and done, you will get your precious smart car, and you'll love it.I had to wait 4 years for one because of finances. As I waited, the terrible news that they were ending the diesel CDI because of a neighboring country's preferences dashed my hopes utterly! I gave up all hope of owning a smart because by the time they'd land on the used market they'd be in poor shape, surely. There I was cruising the lots, finally able to afford a car loan, trying to find the right subcompact hatch back. Something small, economical, 2 door, mimimal seating, and cute. Just when I almost thought I had to settle for a focus or a yaris, a miracle. A dealer demo 2006 smart car for my very own!!!Even our frivolous desires (and in this terrible world a new car counts as frivolous) may come true. I feel SO enchanted these days. Who'd ever have thought I'd ever have my dream car? I was blessed just to have any motorized ride, but this? A miracle, truly.Keep the faith!

Yes it was a mistake. Im aware and un-angry. I was concerned as I think anyone else would be who is still waiting for a configure email who reserved for what seems a long time ago. Thought I would share the story since I dont have much to talk about in regards to smart because I dont own one yet. Havent done any mods yet. Havent attended any club get togethers etc. I wasn't looking too deeply into it because bottom line its just a car and my reservation spot and my $99.00. Would like to have some communication about my smart order besides what I get from the forums.I thought it was a little amusing for all those smart reservation holders who have not yet configured. We have all heard rumors and stories about reservations, config dates, delivery dates, dealer gouging, orphans etc. Just thought I would share my small story. Thats all.I have faith and patience. As far it it being a precious smart car..Its just a smart car.

According to smart USA every reservation holder will get their config email by end of May, 2008. Wait a minute. Everyone? Why the push now? People that just reserved today will get their config email by the end of May? How is that fair? He said yes. We are trying to speed up the config process for all reservation holders. Un FREAKIN real!

i think we tend to place some level of importance upon the "date of configuration" that is not shared by the business side of things. having everyone configured by may08 only means that they have a clearer picture of the future production line, which may actually help speed things up as they'll know further out how many configurations they need and their parts suppliers can be more proactive in providing those items...having everyone configured by may08 likely has no bearing on the order in which you'll recieve your configured vehicle except in terms of everyone on list receiving theirs a bit earlier than expected.i am sure there are lessons learned from the first phase of this experiment that they wish to apply to the subsequent phases. perhaps there is no practical reason for drawing out the confirmation/configuration aspect anymore. that should be good news to us all - including the ones who have already configured.

Just for fun I did a search on 411.com with my name. Surprisingly (or not?) there are 73 Sean Huffman listed in the US. And I didn't think my name was exactly a John Smith. It's pretty conceivable that out of 73 people there could be 2 of them on the waiting list for smarts. That sucks though I know I would be miffed if I was on the waiting list and had to start all over again. On the bright side though so long as you got the message and/or cheque in the mail before May '08 you could conceivably get back on the list and still have your config e-mail about the same time as if you had never been cut from the list (remember, cramming everyone in before May '08) :P .

schwimbo: As far it it being a precious smart car..Its just a smart car.

Au Contraire, but it is not just a smart car! You'll know when you get one, it's precious! (Iris made me say this but yes, she's precious to me She didn't make me say that)I love my car. I still can't believe it's real.

I feel the same way and I've gone through 4 winters with my Gina :3tens:

Damn....that's scary. How could they have crossed-named? Surely they searched by last name, first name and address too? Someone's asleep with sql?

Amazing story. You cant make SH%* up like this. Just unreal!

I honestly thought it was somebody playing a joke on me or even worse found my information somewhere and cancelled my order just to F with me.

yeah. it's called punk'd! :dance:

:hilarious:

cash that check and punk 'em back. :boo-yah!:

Edited by smarted_up

Schimbo,I think this would warrant a polite, detailed letter to head office. Given this inconvenience you might ask for more precice tracking of your car and special consideration when orphaned vehicles come up. Can't hurt.G

Right Now I just want to get my smart config email and start the tracking process with Mike here. Then I can worry about ordering Brabus goodies from Fast Eddy. Thats all. I know theres lots of people with my name. What my biggest concern is that they were confirming the cancellation with my name, my address, my phone and my email. Not the other persons name matching mine. Yes I got punked. Like many punked shows its sucks being on the receiving end of a punked joke or smart corporate error and fun to watch or hear about when its somebody else not you.Tim

"prepare for the worst, hope for the best."

~ gent

suggested reading: who moved my cheese

:loveu:

karen