Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coast Steve

Who Says I Need A Truck

10 posts in this topic

Needed to pick up some scaffolding today for the house we are building, and thought this was a good picture.We drove it one hour from Gibsons to our lot off Francis penninsula Rd, and got lots of looks.

post-3704-1204940676_thumb.jpg

I need a trailer. How much do you think all of that weighted?

Yea, that looks funny,I don't really know about the weight but we had 10 screw jacks and 30 scissor braces in there also.Maybe 1200 lbs or so?I would never try this with stock springs thoughCrazy

Man I can't believe you got away with that and didn't break your smart car. That's asking an awful lot. Did you drive very slowly? How did you manage on the hills?

Ouch! Poor clutch :P That's at least 3 times max tow load for the car.I think 'ole' Coast Steve is also pulling our leg... Eh! :D:D A2Jack

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gibsons to Madeira Park is a fun, twisty road but there isn't a lot of significant elevation changes. With a little caution starting and planning (building speed in advance of any inclines), I'd say Steve's clutch was quite warm, but not terribly damaged by the exercise.I'd worry about the tongue weight and any emergency braking with such a load, but again, that is a fairly mellow road most times...edit: adjectives, tonque weight comment

Edited by Gent

Yes, I do know this road very well, and like Gent said I get ready for the hills with a little run and slow on the corners etc,The car is never floored when I tow, I baby it as much as possile, 80k max on the flatsWhen I load the trailer, I load the tongue very light and put most of the weight on the trailers wheels.I have never felt slipping, or smelled my clutch, the only time was when I was trying to back up a snow covered driveway with NO trailer on.