Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loveyorks

Question About Transmission?

6 posts in this topic

Hi - I've now been driving my red/black cabrio since beguinning of February and I just LOVE my beautiful little car :rolleyes: - but since my last fill up (about 300 K ago) I noticed the down shifting is very slow and the car always seems to be in higher gear than it should so that I always end up putting on manual and downshifting for the car.. not only do I find this annoying but also a bit worrisome as I don't remember having to worry about downshifting before, plus I notice that the car seems to shift way too early for the actual speed it's doing.... is this normal or should I be calling Mercedes just about now?Anyone else with this :huh: problem??

Not 100% sure but assuming that it's not a fuel issue and assuming that you have a rev counter: On a level road the car should upshift before it hits 3,000 rpm. The speed that you're doing at that point (going from 1'st to 2'nd) is not that much. This gives a much smoother change than switching it to manual and shifting at 4,000 rpm or more.

It depends if you have the 450 (2005/2006 diesel or the new 451 smart. Most likely though, its just that you aren't used to the car and its probably fine but we'd need more details to help.I'm moving this to the General vehicle operation and maintenance where it best belongs. - Steven

Not sure if it's relevant but I find my car lets itself rev higher when it's cold and shifts more smoothly and sooner once it's warmed up.

Yeah just gear up about 3000 rpm or 3500-4000 when you have to speed up quickly. Downshift will do the car in the end, but it drives more comfy when you shift down, when you are driving to a crossing and need to stop, for exam.In auto mode, the car will shift down earlier, comparing to the 450.