Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LorbeerTLC

It's Here! I've Finally Got My Smart!

15 posts in this topic

It’s finally HERE! :lol: My 2008 smart fortwo Passion Cabrio in Blue/Silver w/comfort package, tach/clock, alarm system and fog lights.I picked up my smart from smart center Seattle yesterday (Tuesday, March 11). My Thanks to ALL the people there for making this a wonderful buying experience!I’ve reserved this car back on March 25 2007, with my reservation number ending in #1179.The one thing that stood out as I drove it home on I-5 was the very firm suspension. Man! Daimler should ask Renault how to soften the ride (like the ‘ol R-5 or ‘Le Car’ they had back in the late 1970’s). I checked the tire pressure at home to be sure they weren’t over-inflated. Nope- all were within specs.The other thing it really needs is a tilt-steering wheel. I like to sit closer to the wheel, but that prevents me to see the upper part of the speedometer. A tilt-steering wheel would fix that problem.A few things I opted for:1) Tinted Windows. So I can have a little privacy and not feel like I’m in a ‘fish-bowl’.2) Chip Guard. Since my color is blue, any rock chips will show the black base paint.3) LoJack w/Early Warning. I’ve had this in my other car and felt that after waiting close to a year for my smart, I’d have peace-of-mind. I realize about the current alarm/security system that’s already on it, but the car is so small, I didn’t want to risk having somebody load it in the back of a big p/u truck. I leave it at a park-&-ride and if somebody moves it, my cell phone will ring to notify me.I felt these would help my investment.Anyway- I’m looking towards warmer weather & some sunny days! B) Regards,-Tom L.

Hey Tom, Enjoy every minute of being a rock star with your new smartie. Being green as well as cute are just the right combinations for our smarties. When you step from a luxury car to a smart, there is an adjustment period but it's well worth it. Here's hoping you love your cabrio as much as I do. Regina :)

WTG... Tom! It nice to have the waiting period over with and finally get to drive it, eh. I will be getting my windows tinted for the same reason, plus its cooler in the summer that way. I have had all my previous cars tinted and it makes a big difference. I agree with the choppy ride but such a short wheelbase will do that. The steering wheel is ok for me as I sit with the seat in its fully back position (long legs). Now you need a ScanGauge II so you can see your coolant temp. among a variety of other functions for fuel economy monitoring. I love mine. When that new cruise control is perfected and we get some feedback from actual users, I will want one.Congrats,Tom P.

Great news LorbeerTLC! It's a great rush. I drove over to my Allstate Insurance man because he wanted to take it for a spin. I parked in front of a restaurant near his business and in a minute it seems like all the clientele had emptied the place to check it out. Enjoy.

We had the same reactions when smarts first came to Canada in 2004. I got my smart in Jan 2005 and I was constantly stopped in parking lots and even at traffic lights. EnjoyNow smarts are pretty old hat here and hardly get a notice.

Congrats! It's great to have more of these in the Pacific Northwest! Get used to attracting a lot of attention while driving, and being surrounded by questions when parking.Tom

TomA to B is totally different in a smart! I hear you on the Renault 5, but bear in mind the wheelbase for Le Car was very long and sopped up many road bumps the smart just can't.Enjoy

Tom, you made my day, I have the number 1180, ordered 3/27/07, conf same day as yours. same colors as yours, but the passion. can't wait. I'm in Grants Pass, ORI'm really thinking hard about lo-jac but don't understand if it would work in rural areas.

Tom, you made my day, I have the number 1180, ordered 3/27/07, conf same day as yours. same colors as yours, but the passion. can't wait. I'm in Grants Pass, ORI'm really thinking hard about lo-jac but don't understand if it would work in rural areas.

DaveBellLoJack:Best thing to do is contact your local law enforcement agency (police/sheriff/state police, etc.) and ask if their agency is set up for LoJack. If they all say “No”, then there is no point in getting it.Good Luck! :)-Tom L.

Excellent news!The wheel being far away is a safety feature. The car is designed to make the occupants decelerate in a much more controlled fashion than in a larger car, so the extra clearance between occupant and airbag is designed to allow the seat belt tension limiters to work over a longer deceleration distance.Result: It is an Italian driving position for sure.And I am with you on the Renault 5. I drove three of those things over the years and the ride was INCREDIBLE and you could drive balls out on the roughest roads in total comfort, with no fear of tipping over in a corner. They don't make them like they used to. Even new Renaults ride like more like German cars :(

Hey, I'm in Seattle too. I am offered an orphan without the premium sound package. How's the extra speakers in your car? Does it sound good? Do you think you can go without it if it meant waiting a few more months?

Edited by yoyoplay

head over to the evilution site, they've got a nifty idea for a DIY alarm system using a cheap phone wired for steady on power with a cell provider tracking system. Won't warn you if the car is moving but will let you locate it or even call it.

Hey, I'm in Seattle too. I am offered an orphan without the premium sound package. How's the extra speakers in your car? Does it sound good? Do you think you can go without it if it meant waiting a few more months?

yoyoplay,Honestly- I'd probably look into an aftermarket radio/cd player. The extra speakers are nice... but to do it right, it needs a pair of rear speakers. Plus, the DRS or DSR or RDS (whatever!) that tells you what songs are playing over the radio has been disabled for the U.S.The CD's sound excellent, and the ease of finding the controls are a plus. But that's about the extent of it. It also need a graphic equalizer (IMHO). -Tom L.

Thanks Everyone for the Positive Replies!Ok, the little kid came out of me yesterday as I just had to drive down our neighborhood on the sidewalk. Man, it fits like a glove! Like I have my personal little highway. :lol: Oops... better get back to being an adult... ;) Later!-Tom L.

...drive down our neighborhood on the sidewalk...

:lol: Good Lord, why have I never tried this?!