Gent

Distraught

112 posts in this topic

Hey gang, I'm looking for your thoughts.My father is getting on in years, and he stated that he will be giving me his 2003 Porsche Boxster sometime soonish, since he believes it may be time to stop driving.OH no, poor Gent, right? :DOk, so here is the dilemma: I really can't justify insuring 2 cars or storing one car at a time for 6 months. My smart is a very sensible vehicle that I love;BUT!!the Boxster is soooo much fun to drive! And as a gift from my father, it carries a heavy emotional significance for me. I'd have anguish about selling it.Arrrrgh. I think I know what my decision will be (especially since I'm seeking opinions in here)...

It's a no-brainer. Sell the smart and keep the Boxster. You would regret anything else. .... and invest in a top end radar/laser detector!Think of the family history! How could you let him sell it?!?

Arrrgh Mike. What are you doing to me?You are right about the family history thing though. My dad gave my older brother his 1967 Porsche 912 which Rick still owns. I've lusted after that car since approximately 1986. Maybe I can work a trade with Rick. I'd have no qualms about selling my smart for that 912...

Honestly, it is a no-brainer! The Porsche is such a sweet car! You must take it. Someone nice will buy the smart....

Keep both. If money is the issue, use the smart to deliver pizzas and make up the difference (or use the boxster to deliver pizza faster) or raise the deductible on both to lower the premium. Keep both for a period of time, a year from now it might be clear which one needs to go. I kept the 02 T-Bird to drive when I don't feel smart.

No, no, no!Things to consider:Insuring both is WAY too extravagant.Selling the smart and paying all that gas money with the Porsche is WAY too expensive.Selling the Porsche and keeping the smart is WAY too inconsiderate of your family heritage.Therefore the only sensible and considerate thing to do is:Lend the Porsche to deezle unconditionally for a period of five years for him to look after while you pay for any maintenance costs that may arise-----he would gladly pay for 1/2 the insurance and promise to drive it on a regular basis. He would return your family car after five years.

Edited by deezle

I could give him a hand if you like ;)

The Boxster actually gets pretty decent fuel economy. Even in Germany, where they're routinely driven flat out at 250 km/h+, the average comsumption is a little over 11 L/100 km, with the best of the bunch at spritmonitor coming in at about 9 L/100 km, again, in the land of the Autobahn. Here, it's be easy to stay under 8 L/100 km in that car. Keith could probably get 6 L/100 in one.

Porsche Boxster at spritmonitor

Well if you sold both you could afford the new Brabus 451.Cheers,Cameron

Yeah, the Ultimate 112, best to see Eddy for an order ;)

If you can't do both, then the Porsche of course!Boxters are sweet! .....and sadly probably not any more expensive for maintenance.... Dang

The maintenance thing is true. My dad found a Langley version of FastEddy to do his maintenance, so it wasn't as bad as if he'd gone to Porsche; however, his bills and mine were similar at year end. The individual "hits" were higher though.Sigh. Maybe one of these lottery tickets will come through and let me keep both...

I really can't see how this is a hard decision, in all seriousness. It's too easy!

I would do everything I can to keep both, but if I had to get rid of one it would not be the Porsche. If your Dad is not going to drive could you not still store the car at his place for part of the year? If you just have fire & theft on it for a portion of the year will save some bucks.

Edited by CanadianTurbo

i'd have to get rid of the boxter - there's just not enough headroom and legroom for my 6'5" frame. although, if we were talking a 911 chassis - i can fit in those just fine.

CT, my parents built an extension onto my sister's place - so it's not just their decision. Plus, they don't have a garage on site. I considered putting one of them up at a time at Flying Tiger, but although that's a good deal (and closer), I can think of more immediate uses for the dough.:(

Build a stand on your front lawn and keep the smart on it as an art display as it appreciates in value. Drive the boxter. That way you don't regret selling the smart, or regret not driving the boxter.MG

LOL, my "front lawn" is a planter of tulips in a window box, but I like the idea.

Think of the opportunity for your Dad, for example, to take him on a ride in his old car on nice days, imagine the smile on his face, there can be no reason for you not to take the Porsche.

Keep the porsche for now and then trade it in when they bring over the smart turbo. Or sell the porsche now and transform your smart into a Smartuki (smartuki.com)

Edited by ARTZ

Yeah, I guess I'll keep the Porsche. I've found a driving school that specializes in preparing the elderly for the driving re-test. Hopefully my dad takes it and passes - that'll put the decision off for a while.