Gent

Distraught

112 posts in this topic

My 2 cents for what it's worth...If you keep the Porsche you'll regret selling the smart. If you keep the smart you'll regret selling the Porsche. Flip a coin or keep both. Either way you still have a mortgage to pay and if your mortgage was paid off who knows what you 'might' do with the $$$. Besides if you "God forbid" died tomorrow it wouldn't matter either way now would it? Do what makes you happy and don't worry about the decision you made because too many times people think back and regret the decisions they may have made in the past... "One of the most wasted things a person can do is to worry or regret a past decision...""Desiderata" (Latin for "desired things", plural of desideratum) is an inspirational prose poem about attaining happiness in life. It was first copyrighted in 1927 by Max Ehrmann. Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy. --- Max Ehrmann, 1927

Seriously, store the smart in the 6 summer months at Eddy's, and the Porsche there in the winter... that can't be too bad...

I remember that Deteriorata verse a little differently:"Go placidly amidst the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. The universe is laughing behind your back."...which probably means: Keep the Porsche and the smart and pass wind in both.

OMG, Gent!!!!I thought I was alone in this whole wide world when I had to make the SAME decision!!!!I had both before (during different times in my life) and now I have the liberty to choose between the two.Given a 2004 Boxster I've found in US is 25K (on the road, including transportation, tariffs & Canadianization to plate it in Ontario) and a smart is 16K+Tax (which works out to $18K), it's not that big a difference.However, I remember - how much I dislike the engine noise of a Boxster on a really tired day (but I do really love the engine noise on a day I feel racey though. Even better than a 996 because the engine is even closer) and I'm more tired than racey in the past 10 years :P- the wierd clutch located right underneath the steering column as oppose to on the LHS. (this contributes to how much I'm not a real Porsche fan)- how much I genuinely hated the horrible horrbile interior of the Boxster (flimsy signal stalk, plasticky all over, absolutely horrendous cheap plasticky center console, or $5000 more for leather wrapped)- to be honest, based on today's standard, a 2004 Boxster is by no means a fast car at all. Then I remember - how much I grin from ear to ear everytime I gas up in a smart, - how my little heart pounding everytime I pull out my cell phone to calculate my fuel consumption (my average fuel consumption on a 2001 Boxster is 12.3L/100km, starting 2003, engine is bigger, I can only imagine even worse. I'm doing 3.8L/100km in my smart!)- and I remember you guys and this great forum!I ended up picking the smart!I'm so glad that I'm back to the smart world now, but I'll miss the front trunk space of the Boxster and I'll have to bear with this hateful hateful plastic rear window of my Pulse Cabrio :PYou give some, you lose some I guess.In the long run though, it will be cheaper to fix a Boxster than a smart though because there are soooo many small shops out there with more knowledge on a Porsche than the dealership workshop with very reasonable rates (I currently own a 996 S4 Cab. so I know). Spare and aftermarket parts for Porsches are ample. For smart, you're pretty much stuck with the dealership for all major (and sometimes even minor) issues.Overall, I'm still very happy with my decision and do believe I've made the right choice for me.But then again, I don't have the sentimental feelings that you are facing, Gent, and thus my choice is a lot easier.

Edited by BrianC

My dad feels confident that he will pass the re-examination now that I found him a Senior's driver re-training course.Now he is looking to replace the Boxster with a 911. :lol: We checked out one on Wednesday. It was a nice enough car, although someone lost their mind and tried to make it look like a GT3. :weird:The upside is that it was in great shape and the bodykit nonsense can be easily undone. He is negotiating with the dealership...

trade car with ur dad...he drives the smart and u keep the porsche, boxster or 911the smart might be more sensible (and fun) for him?

lol, we HAD that conversation! He actually said that he would do that if the smart had a standard transmission. He likes my car a lot.

it is a standard transmission... a sequential manual transmission... same as the famous Ferrari's F1 gear box, Lambo's E-gear, BMW M-series SMG.... well, perhaps a miniaturized (or cartoon) version thou :Ptell him to drive only in manual mode then...

Not for my dad, but my mom often likes to hit an imaginary brake pedal as a passenger...

I just skimmed through all this.Cars are important to you... you mentioned a mortgage in the plans... move. Get out to somewhere that you can get property with enough room to have both cars (ie. dbl garage). Storage insurance is stupid cheap... like < $70 a year. And other than the 30 minutes each time at AutoPlan, its easy and free to switch the policies as often as you like.To me your issue is space, not a dilemma of cars :) - Steven

Yeah, that's true; however, as much as I like my cars, I hate commuting. My wife can walk to work, and I have an 8 minute drive from where we are now.Someday we'll get the heck out of downtown, but it won't be soon.

and that means u don't need a porsche....unless u wanna cut down your drive time from 8 to 2 mins ^_^

Update:My dad just called. He said that if I was still interested (!) in the Porsche, I should come down and get it.Goddamn. Decision time.

Do it!

Yeah, probably. I'm trying to convince my sister to buy my smart so that it stays in the family.

Hell, give it to her, is the Porsche free? ;)

Gent,Call your father and make this happen, as a car nut you will not regret this one bit.I think that for all the moral support provided during this difficult decision making process, we should all get a spin in your new ride.Cheers

So is it the Boxster or the 996?

Ian you lucky bugger,you! Keep your dad's Porshe, it's the right thing to do...and the most fun!

Hell, give it to her, is the Porsche free? ;)

I'm considering it. I just think my wife might kill me...

... we should all get a spin in your new ride.

Blair, you certainly can.

So is it the Boxster or the 996?

Boxster.

Ian you lucky bugger,you! Keep your dad's Porshe, it's the right thing to do...and the most fun!

Thanks Steve. I might talk to my older brother and offer to trade him for my dad's first Porsche (which he still has). The Boxster is cool, but that old 912 makes me drool.