Gent

Distraught

112 posts in this topic

Update: Picking up the Porsche today in ~3 hours.Dropping my beloved smart off at Eddy's so that it is tickety-boo when I sell it. I'm hoping that my sister buys it so that I can at least go visit ol' 6 X 7 once in a while. I think I'll leave it with her for a few weeks to tempt them.I'm frickin' 37 years old, and the anguish over this decision has my face in a state it hasn't been since I was 14. Maybe the Porsche reverses the aging process?:D

Good decision. What year is the Boxster?

There was a Porsche Boxster for sale here in Saskatoon, that i really would have liked to owned,but i just couldn't give up my CDI Cabriolet Smart.It's too bad us 'poor' folks, can't keep ALL our cars, like Jay Leno! I sure wish i could afford to have a garage like his!!

Good decision. What year is the Boxster?

It's a 2000. Good shape, low mileage. The interior trim needs a little attention, but it looks like the howto articles on the Porsche forums are extensive.Happily, I discovered that Boxster owners wave at each other like smarties.I've said to a few people now that the car is smooth and sophisticated; however, I have this nagging feeling that it's waiting for me to let my guard down so that it can rip my face off. Add that impression to the fact that I got it from my (retired) psychiatrist father, and you'll understand why it has been named "Hannibal".:DI think my sister will buy my car. Yay!I hope you guys don't mind if I bring the Boxster to the track day...

By all means, bring it, and we can all make tongue "phphhhhphhhh" noises to make the smarts sound better as we follow the leader...... :lol:

Porsche vs smart 4/2. Porsche is the choice but be prepare for the fuel. Be really prepare.

LOL, yeah - I already know that a tank of 94 octane for a Porsche is a tad more expensive than a tank o diesel for the ForTwo. Kinda keeps me from over-indulging in the novelty of driving a 6 second car.:D*Ian going thpbbbptpt*

LOL, yeah - I already know that a tank of 94 octane for a Porsche is a tad more expensive than a tank o diesel for the ForTwo. Kinda keeps me from over-indulging in the novelty of driving a 6 second car.:D*Ian going thpbbbptpt*

No worries. When you join us for a meet, one of us can pack a spare gas can for you.Congrats on the new ride, Gent. What color is it?

Silver. The old man was parking by braille near the end unfortunately. Detailing the car has revealed a few... whumps. LOL.Like this:

post-74-1237924392_thumb.jpg

This is funny because I bought my 08 cabrio from a woman who had traded in a porsche for a smart - drove the smart for 300 miles - and then went back to the porsche dealer and traded the smart for a new boxster. Just so you know you'll never be able to go back to a smart! - sheureka

Edited by sheureka

I've left my ForTwo with my sister for a week so they can see if they like it. My order of preference for selling it is family, then CsC, then it'll hit Craigslist if all else fails.I've driven 6 second cars before the smart, and had little trouble adapting to it; however, I did get a remap fairly quickly, lol. That only meant it was a 16 second car instead of a 20 second...No, the ForTwo is a unique beast. It's not fast, but it feels fast. It handles well and is a great design. I strongly reminded of the small, one man sailboats I used to race. They aren't fast, but they are excellent teachers for technique and bags of fun.

I was driving my friend's Mazdaspeed 3 yesterday, it's even faster than the Boxster, in the low fives from 0-100 km/h; in fact, in a little spin up Cypress Bowl we were doing 180 uphill after a couple of seconds of gas pedal. That car has a proper LSD and so it puts the power and torque down really well for a FWD. I am trying to convince him to sign up for our track day this August (assuming that's OK).

Mike, it looks like you have another German Shepard! :lol: Gent, I hope you are enjoying the heck out of the Boxster, but beware of the track days! The Grin will just not come off. :D Another thing....did anybody mention you can't just have one? :P Perci2000 Boxster S1989 Carrera 41976 914/41973 914/6

The Porsche will have to wait for me....a new Cayman would be what I'd buy if I had the chance right now.That is unless Peugeot came back to Canada, in which case I would buy an RCZ instead!

Aaaaand the smart won. It killed me to let it go, but the Porsche maintenance was brutal. The stupid thing is I suspect that I fixed everything and now the next owner gets to have 140,000 km of fun.I'm thinking about a new ride in June-ish. Current contenders are the Scion IQ and the Hyundai Veloster. I'm going to have to drive and compare, but the fact that the IQ isn't being released with a manual worries me a bit. I've heard grumbles about the CVT transmission.In the meantime, my wife and I each have a Honda Magna for fun. Little 85 hp 4 cylinder 500 lb motorycles. I bought Laura's from Eddy at Flying Tiger, and I found mine over near Granville Island. They were both the same colour, but I repainted mine to remind me of the ol' Porsche.Of course, good old 6x7 is still getting me to work n back.

post-74-1330601782_thumb.jpg

post-74-1330601861_thumb.jpg

post-74-1330601931_thumb.jpg

Nice wrap-up!Don't worry, you didn't reach the end of the Porsche maintenance saga. That is just about to introduce an entirely new subplot, as well as two returning characters who you thought were dead, but actually had amnesia.

Tell more about the Porsche maintenance!My god the Veloster is hideous, please don't foul the landscape by buying one!

Never mind that the Veloster is a Hyundai (and appalling), the iQ is quite... dumb. I really really wanted to like it, really I did; there is absolutely no point to it. "The world's smallest four-seat car." Who gives a flying frig? In order to put four seats in it, they have sacrificed a LOT. The seat behind the driver is only meant for legless children and hamsters, and if you really need to sit a third adult in the car, the front passenger seat has to be moved so far forward that the passenger blocks the driver's view to the right in toto. The passenger's feet reside somewhere near the front bumper in the process, with his or her knees right below the base of the windshield. The rear seats are not removable, so forget any actual cargo room. And by adding SRS bags all the way around the back window, they've had to skimp elsewhere -- mainly in materials, fit and finish. The hard plastics and cheesy moldings in the iQ make the smart look like a Rolls by comparison.

Odd. I replied earlier; however, it seems to have gone into the ether.Mike, the Boxster failures are well documented on the car forums out there (some damn good ones as well - just like here). Mine went like clockwork - water pump around 140,000, clutch around 160,000, rear wheel bearings shortly after. Boring typical stuff is also just plain expensive on the car as well. I think the radiator was just for show judging by the amount of oil it took for an oil change. The rearmost spark plugs require removing the rear wheels to inspect/change. Being over a decade old, it had a vacuum leak that was a bugger to chase down...It was still a lovely, lovely, lovely car to drive. I am no longer impressed by people with new sports cars. I am now in awe of people who use OLD sports cars. Those buggers have money!The Veloster reminds me of a portly 80's CRX, lol. I loved that car, but then I do like unusual looking vehicles.In any event, I have to drive things before I make up my mind. Perhaps the CVT in the IQ will not bother me...

Nissan? You mean Hyundai as Francesco noted. It's okay, but looks really weird from the back.Porsche = Plenty of receipts, sorry, can't have everything!Why not the new Subaru/Scion coming out later spring? That will be a nice two door ride. For a Vancouver guy. I think the Subaru is called a BRZ? It's RWD.

Thanks - fixed it. I'll look into it around then thanks Keith. Wasn't aware of another one coming.

Nissan? You mean Hyundai as Francesco noted. It's okay, but looks really weird from the back.Porsche = Plenty of receipts, sorry, can't have everything!Why not the new Subaru/Scion coming out later spring? That will be a nice two door ride. For a Vancouver guy. I think the Subaru is called a BRZ? It's RWD.