Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chloeal

Hesitant boyfriend

30 posts in this topic

Yesterday, when my boyfriend came home from work, I shared the great news with him about the email I'd received from Smart. He is hesitant now because he actually saw one on the road last week and felt it to be to small for me to drive. Kale keeps telling me he wants to see crash tests studies before I pick up the smart passion (white silver cell). I told him that studies in United States have not been produced yet. In Canada, are there any sites to show these figures ?. Chloeal

Here you go

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/040908.htm

"Safety technology has changed leaps and bounds in the last couple decades and now some new compact cars are safer than large vehicles were a few years ago. In fact, Mercedes is introducing a new vehicle brand this Fall in Canada that may redefine how we think of safety and small cars. The brand is called "Smart" and the first Smart models will be the fortwo cdi coupe and cabriolet. "

Sound like you're married. How about you get the Smart and show him? :)I was somewhat hesitant until I looked into the safety ratings. To me now it's a non-issue. It will be interesting to see the ratings DOT gives it in the US. Word is it's better than most of the cars out there trying to hit you. I had a run-in with a tail-gater last week. They drove away when I got out of the car. I'm 6'7" 220lbs and look like a serial killer. :D

Remember that if the car stops quickly and turns on a dime, then you can avoid many accidents where a large car would drive right into.

Ask him to watch Jay Leno's video review of the smart. A link can be found from '' the Front Page News.""Good luck!

I did a detailed analysis of the Euro ratings and compared the Toyoyta Yaris to the smart and the smart received a much higher rating in Canada. In the US, the Yaris has side airbags and that brought it closer.Since then, I've added 5,000km to the smart in rain, ice and snow and trust me, with the ESP and other passive safety features that the smart has, it WAY outsmarts ALL other small cars in North America for safety.If your boyfriend drives a truck or a SUV, you've got an uphill battle. It will probably be easier to dump him and get yourself a 5th grader :)

Thanks everyone for replying...We've been together almost 3 yrs. he saids he has my best interest, I think I will keep him around.His question is; has there been any test or studies done from rear end collisions this seems to be his main concern. I am still buying the car because of those safety features everyone has mentioned. I would like to put his mind at ease.Chloeal

Transport Canada crash tested a number of vehicles in their Advanced Vehicles Testing Program, and the ONLY one that passed the then-proposed rear crash test was the smart fortwo. Contact Transport Canada for details.

Merged two related topics. Sorry - some of you were posting to them at the same time, and two posts met an untimely fate due to the vagaries of the software. Those posters have been notified and their posts quoted to them so that they can copy n paste them back here if they wish.Mea Culpa, Caveat Scriptor!

He's going to read reviews (like Consumer Reports) that can't get passed the old adage that mass=safety... but just because its in print doesn't mean its right. You'll find different articles giving complete opposites to the safety question. The difference is... the ones that say they are safe have data to back it up :)

Just a conspiracy theory prediction: DOT comes out and says its not safe. Smart = less fuel = less sales for Texans = a burning Bush. Am I stretching? If I don't post again soon, you'll know they read this and took care of me.

- Steven

The seats backs are like armour to protect the occupants in event of a rear-end collision which involves penetration of the passeger compartment. The engine and drive train are designed to slide underneath the car when impacted.

Here's a question: what car does your boyfriend drive? There's a fairly good chance its real safety features, "crash avoidance abilities" and safety rating are not up to par with the smart.

My guess is the the b/f issue is not about safety at all. He's just thinking about HE will look to his friends driving - or being driven! - around in a smart car!Tell the truth, b/f; it's about YOU and your fragile male ego, isn't it? :jerry:

Maybe get the safety ratings of his favorite sports cars to compare. Like those many 2 seater little convertible things with the massive engines. Eg: miata, sunfire, even the corvette or jaguar. You know he's got a favorite "fast" car. Bet it's rating is much lower.

Another thing to keep in mind though is that, given an equivalent star rating, the heavier car will be safer due to its higher mass. So comparing a big-engined sports car to a 750 kg micro-car isn't really possible, using those rating systems. A two star large car may be safer than a three star smart 450 or four star 451.

Wow this post has really generated great replies Thank you to everyone who has read and/or posted replies. Here are a few answers to some questions posed; Kale drives a Toyota Corolla '06 . The car has a lot of pep and room. It is funny now that I think about it, he didn't do a crash test study when he purchased the car. When I asked him why he did not think about it, his reply was that it has a back seat in case he gets reared ended this is to absorb the impact . He saids that Toyota is a reliable car and i reminded him that he cannot assume this car is as safe or safer than the Smart. It's not a Smart and deep down inside I think he might be a little envious because the Smart will be getting not only attention but better gas mileage.Chloeal

That Corolla (the EU version was tested) was a four star car in the EuroNCAP, so it's not half bad actually.The new smart is also a four star car.Using the rear area for crush space is just fine if no-one is sitting back there ;)

and if noone is sitting back there why have them :DEven with the inherent safety design of the smart it is still wise to drive it like a motorcycle - assume that everyone out there is a complete idiot and is out to get you. You'd be amazed at how often you are right! Even with the crash cell, sliding seats, tensioners ... it is still a whole bunch better to avoid a crash than survive one. Turn off the cell phone - set the radio before you leave - and give driving your full attention. Best safety features of any car :)

Edited by swl

The main thing that I think that we're missing here is all round safety. When comparing "safe-ness" of two vehicles you should use logic, theory and "feel".Theoretically, you should start with assigning a probability to different types of impacts : rear end, frontal, offset frontal, side impact, side pole, rollover etc. Then if you have a separate rating for each section for each car, you can work out a weighted average for each car. But that's not all..Then should then multiply each car by a factor that accounts for it's propensity to have that impact in the first place. For example, if there are two cars that are almost identical except that one has a ton of technology in it to avert accidents (electronic stability program, ABS, radar controlled cruise control, automatic lane change warning systems, radar-based blind spot detector etc). The plain car will test the same as the tech car if you park them and hit them with 18-wheelers from various directions. However, once they are both moving the tech car is FAR more likely to get you to your destination with your body in the same state that it was at the begining of your journey.Now ... our testing and scoring science is not yet this advanced, so it's not as easy as going to the DOT site or some consumer magazine. You have to kind of feel your way through this armed with as much knowledge as you can get. I've done this. I've owned many Corollas and one smart. Today, if I had to choose between a Corolla and a smart for my children (they are more important than I am), I would choose the smart. This is already a loaded choice because if safety was not to be compromised in any way, I'd have them in a high tech 18 wheeler. In life though you need to compromise.P.S.Your b/f sounds like a caring person. I change my mind, keep him around.

I feel much safer in a smart car than say in a minivan... (Don't tell my wife, but I also feel safer in our smart than in our Honda Fit). I would much rather be rear ended/side swiped/ or rolling down or rolling/tumbling down a ditch in a smart car than in most other cars incl huge SUV's. High speed impacts you ask? Would you survive a 70mph head on collision with a bus if you were in a Chevy pick-up? If you had to execute a high-speed swerve maneuver on the highway which car do you think might roll over or be out of control? A smart or an SUV? A smaller car will out maneuver a larger vehicle in an emergency situation, right up to the point of impact. I think I would rather be in a smart. IMO.

Weight can work very much AGAINST you!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d3ZG4j61HNw

Here is a pick-up crash test (Ignore the Russian title, it IS an ALL AMERICAN Ford F150,)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4-5VNmaEGf4

I think if I were a windshield, I would much rather be the smart windshield (: ... Oh, and that dump truck is traveling much slower than the smart. And the pick-up not even half as fast...

Edited by charlesbronson

If you had to execute a high-speed swerve maneuver on the highway which car do you think might roll over or be out of control? A smart or an SUV? A smaller car will out maneuver a larger vehicle in an emergency situation, right up to the point of impact.

Can you perform a high-speed swerve maneuver in a smart car?