Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ARTZ

Parking Stories

16 posts in this topic

I love parking my car down by the UNB (University of New Brunswick) campus. They have parallel parking at the base of the hill but it is unpaved and there are no meters so you can park just behind the car in front of you.The other morning I got there early so I pulled up to within a few feet of the car in front of me, enough room for myself and the car ahead of me to get out. I went to class and upon return to my car there was someone waiting for my spot. So, I hurried up so that I would not keep him waiting, looked both ways and did my U-turn, as I always do (you have to love the turn circle of a smart) and headed back home. While looking in my mirror and saw the driver attempt to pull into my smart and then he floored the gas and took off. I don't think he could fit. I drove back a couple of hours later and my parking spot was still available. I guess no one else can fit there either. :biglaugh:

Similar story. Laura and I went to the Christmas lights at VanDusen Gardens - the lot was packed, but I saw a spot that was smart sized. The curb came forward at an angle there, and no ther vehicle would have been able to park nose-in and not stick out past the line of similarly parked vehicles.When we left, the lot was a gong show. Somebody stopped and waited while we got in the car and left. They held up a lot of cars to do so, and it made my life easy for leaving. I considered trying to communicate to him that he wasn't going to fit, but I couldn't imagine how that was going to work.He looked so confused when his 18 foot long station wagon hit the curb only 8 feet into the spot. The people behind him had advanced as he pulled in, but they couldn't get around him, and now nobody could back up either!I didn't stick around to see the carnage that I'm sure ensued.

Thanks to the snow piles from plowing at the GO train parking lot a large number of spots nearer the station were left with only half the spot available. This makes it quite easy to park very close to the station no matter what time I arrive.Similarly, after any decent overnight snowfall people can no longer see the lines and it is almost a sure thing that there will be one "odd" spot near the front that no one else can slide into but a smart can. So, even if I am arriving late I head to the front ( a good dozen double rows closer and almost invariably find a spot in the first row or two. It often involves parking the passenger side of my car very close to another car, but I can always park so that the other car's front door can be fully opened (either right at the back if they parked in backwards or right in the front if they parked by driving in).

Edited by kwaldron

For several months last summer, at my works parking lot there was a steel garbage bin that wasn't put back in the correct spot and there was just enough room for my car to fit in front of the bin. No other car was able to fit there. It was great then someone complained and then they moved the garbage bin to another location and I could no longer park there.

Obviously this was a parking adventure. Anybody know who this was? (Michigan, from the voice track)

Last year during the Canada Day Banff to Jasper rally, we all went up the Jasper Tramway. Parking is at a bit of a premium there (cars parked along the access road for a kilometer or two), so, as my wife and I were getting into our car, another car was waiting to take over our spot. We pulled out, and watched them boot forward, then stop suddenly to allow fortwo to pull out of the same spot.

Tram_parking.jpg

MG

I was at the Tim Hortons this week end meeting a couple of other Smarties and they were in the stall properly, but i pulled behind them at a right angle to them. Holy did i get some dirty looks when i got out of t :PB):rolleyes: he car.

My absolute favorite is pulling out of a smart sized spot and watching in my rearview mirror as some boat tries unsuccessfully to navigate his way into the spot I left behind. They always do the exact same thing: hit the gas hard and angrily speed away cursing all smart drivers.

Bung: Yep, that's the first meeting of the Michigan Group. A2Jack and Nancy in Yellow and black "Tail End Charley". :rolleyes:

Last Saturday, I took a ride into NYC and down to the Chelsea area. The streets in that section of Manhattan are very tight like in Paris / Italy. Anyway, I'm looking for a parking spot so I can pick up some bakery goods so I head around the block. Then low and behold I find the smallest spot behind a mini cooper at the corner in front of a cross walk . I must admit I was a bit scared because there were onlookers sitting in cafes and lots of folks walking around. I didn't want to look stupid by trying to park in a spot I wasn't sure I would fit in but I thought what the heck. I'm gonna go for it! When I got out, not only was there room but I had a little space in the front & back of the smartie. When I returned from my errand and I was packing the goodies in the boot, a big ole SUV with a family inside pulled up behind me with the thought of taking my spot after I left. They had their window down and they asked me if I was leaving and I said yes. But then I quickly told them, "You won't fit". They looked at me in a funny way then really looked at the size of my car as they pulled up a little bit. And then collectively their faces fell and they decided to take off. That felt so good!!! I just laughed to myself.

Nevada's never seen "smart parking"....I'm sure they'll change the rules with time......

post-219-1206568849_thumb.jpg

I'd fight it because it's written in inches.We're Canadian, and proudly use Metric.-Iain

Nevada's never seen "smart parking"....I'm sure they'll change the rules with time......

We saw a red/silver fortwo on the strip in Vegas last April, there can't be many around there could that have been you?Kate

Sure could have been, I go to Vegas quite often and stay weeks at a time. (my son lives there)