Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a2jack

Working Smart's First Month On The Job.

7 posts in this topic

Now 3,000 miles on the odo after 4 weeks service. Heard slight ticking sound from engine while in traffic @500 mi. "Some do, Some don't" according to our service manager at Bloomfield, Mi. Problem has now gone away. As a work car, the Smart makes the day fun with all the attention it gets, and this is enough, for now, to offset the drawbacks. :) However, rough ride and handling in high winds are real problems when using this car as a constant driver. (Trucks are not a problem.)Access to the boot from the front seat has been a problem, but works better now that we run with the passenger seat back folded down. As with all work cars this one needs many more 12 volt output plugs.So far so good. We get 42-43 MPG and the car has been trouble free. But it looks like we will still have to buy another replacement for our Subaru come next year. A2Jack.

I always drive with the passenger seat down - better visibility and, as you pointed out, access to the stuff in the back....If you think the 2nd generation smart is rough, you should come try one of our Canadian Diesels. ;) The suspension feels like it's rubber pads!-Iain

Either front wheel spacers or wider tires does wonders for the wind handling - lowering and a front air dam more so.Cheers,Cameron

I am at about 400km now and this morning heard the ticking you were talking about, but now its gone. I'l keep my ears on.

Either front wheel spacers or wider tires does wonders for the wind handling - lowering and a front air dam more so.Cheers,Cameron

where does one get these spacers??

However, rough ride and handling in high winds are real problems when using this car as a constant driver. A2Jack.

I've always enjoyed Banks comment in regards to the ''wind.'' Click here.And trust me when I say that the 451 is more stable than the 450. That little extra width helps. Enjoy! :drive:

where does one get these spacers??

Got mine from FastEddy (member here) - check with him with what will work on the 451. These are the better quality ones that bolt on rather than just using a longer wheel bolt.There was some discussion that the spacers would be the rack and ruin of my wheel bearings - but I am at 60k with no issues.Cheers,Cameron