Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom P.

Changin' Tire Season

14 posts in this topic

Well, it's getting close to switching from winter to summer tires. I have searched but cannot find the 451's wheel nut size on here. I seem to remember 15mm being mentioned but don't know for sure. Can someone tell me what size socket I need to buy, as I do not have any metric sockets? I know the torque is 81 ft-lbs. This is for a 451... not sure if the 450 has the same size nuts.

Thanks.

Off-topic, but I'm only 0.1 L/100 km ahead of you.....in my B 200!;)

Don't know about Mike's nuts, but 451's probably still use bolts like the 450's.Ian

Off-topic, but I'm only 0.1 L/100 km ahead of you.....in my B 200!;)

Ya, ya, ya... but just wait until I get those summer tires on and do some highway driving. :P My smart has not seen a highway yet; 100% city driving so far. This is mainly due to my chemo treatments keeping me close to home.So... what's the "bolt" size anyway? And I was looking under the tridion for a jack point but it is not obvious to me. Is there a specific spot on each side of the car to jack it up? If so, where?

So... what's the "bolt" size anyway? And I was looking under the tridion for a jack point but it is not obvious to me. Is there a specific spot on each side of the car to jack it up? If so, where?

I couldn't say without seeing it, haven't checked out the differences between the 450 and the 451 up close yet.If you like you can PM me and I could help you out with this. Andy

OK.......a DIY smart car owner without metric tools... time to head to Cdn. Tire or some other place and get a small set. Something that ranges from 5mm to about 20 or 22mm.

Or just get a torque wrench (proper range - check it), breaker bar and 15 mm deep socket. That's all you need!

Mine go on this weekend, because next weekend we're off to the states to open up the 2010 coaster season at Kings Dominion with Intimidator305! (and I am not driving 2000 km on new Winter tires!)

-Iain

Swapped over my W440s on OEM smart steel wheels today for new Hankook Ventus V4/H105 UHP All-Season 175/55/15s on 4 OEM Roadster steelies, (bought last fall on sale) so we can rotate them f/r as needed. 25mm spacers on the rear allow using the Roadie ET24 offset to replace the ET-1 offset of the OEM smart rear steelies. The tires don't protrude past the fender. They fit j u s t right ;)Chrome wheel bolts and "silver beauty rings" to finish the dress-up.B :sun:

Pallet jack with a chunk of 4X4 lumber on each side. Stable and strong (still don't get underneath without stands!), lifts front and back at same time. Spacing on a standard jack is perfect. That's if you keep your spare tires at work where there is a pallet jack. Little big to carry for roadside. ;)