Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jazzx

Can you bring a Smart CDI from Canada into the US

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what it would take to bring a Smart CDI from Canada into the US to register and license it. I live in Seattle and I am thinking about buying a CDI in Vancouver BC and bringing it down but I am not sure how/if this can be done.Any help would be great!

Can't be done. There is a label in the engine compartment that specifically says not for export to the US.

I thought I saw a post last month about a diesel smart being registered in the States-can't remember the details.

Never say never. It can be done, but it would take a HUGE effort and lots of cash. Read this story. On the other hand, maybe it's best to forget the whole idea :biglaugh:

There are several cdis in the USA, but they have a mysterious existence, usuallly involving being first registered in a state with lax inspections, then being moved to another state with more than 7500 miles on them.....The DOT and NHTSA would have G-men looking for you all the time, so if you're into the X-Files lifestyle, I guess it could be possible.

Someone asked this question in the Western/Pacific sub-forum in a discussion entitled "Anyone from Washington state?"

The answer properly belongs here where more readers will find it:

From jalopnik.com :

"Bill Gates's adventure in importing his Porsche 959 brought increased media attention to the world of grey market automotive imports. It even prompted the creation of the "show or display" exemption for vehicles of extremely low production combined with historical or technological significance. The 1999 amendment opened the door for many fine vehicular examples to make their way into the United States, but at the same time, it has caused even greater confusion about the laws of automotive importation. If you're thinking about filling empty space in your garage with a Peugeot 308 or an S15 Nissan Silvia, it's best to do a lot of research first. Luckily, the folks at Motive Magazine have put together an article outlining the possible legal means of obtaining a foreign vehicle. It explains the process in simple terms, not confusing government syntax. Follow the jump to read more and be sure to contribute comments on your own importing experiences.

First thing's first: when making the attempt to import an automobile into the US, do not assume that the salesman spewing unintelligible legal jargon has the means of getting the job done legally. Neither should you assume that he's in full disclosure of the terms behind the vehicle's importation. Motive's article covers all the standard legal means, so if someone is selling you a process you haven't heard about before, run. Unless over 25 years old, in order to be federally legalized for street use a vehicle must comply with DOT standards for its year of production. It must also meet EPA standards, which means if the vehicle was manufactured during or after 1996, a complex ODB II diagnostic and sensor system is required. Very few registered importers have built reputations for successfully modifying imports for compliance of DOT requirements and there is an extremely short list of independent commercial importers available to install EPA demanded components with resulting proof. Both entities come at an enormous expense, often multiple times the vehicle's worth. The show or display exemption is an exception to the DOT requirements, but the qualification requirements are stringent. Plus, almost all exemptions only allow for importation on a temporary basis; when the bond period expires the vehicle must be exported or crushed. On top of that, working around EPA and California regulations is a whole different can of worms.

Once the information outlined by the Motive piece is digested, a lot of firsthand knowledge can be acquired from the Skyline GT-R/GT-S forum at FreshAlloy.com. The owners of the few federally legalized Nissan Skyline GT-Rs have seen, heard and shot down every conceivable importing scam. Posters look out for shady internet sales operations and they are also quick to point out fraudulent sales advertisements. They are very particular about the distinction between grey market and black market vehicles as well. There are automobiles that make it through customs and even end up registered on roadways, but are illegal in the eyes of the federal government therefore subject to impound."

There are a surprisingly large numbers in the US. When they need parts, guess who they call. Even a Grandstyle is driving around. It may not be as complicated or X-file scary as it seem. It is all depends which state and the person handle the registration for you. At least one person I know of register it as a 451. Now that there are hundreds of 2008 on the road. Anything is possible. There are minimum 6 in CA. People who live here and work there. Or work here and live there. Now they are either settled or left the car behind with CA registration. It certainly can be done. But I don't live there, so I can't tell you the details of how to do it.

Yeah, the problem isn't so much getting it down there and insured, the problem occurs later if you omitted information or used misdirection to get it on the road. If your insurance company wants to save themselves money, they can look for incorrect data and deny a claim.Kinda of a nervous life, IMO.It is ridiculous that the EPA doesn't like the CDI.

That doesn't seem to be a problem so far as I can see. There has been windshield claims, suspension and sub-frame replaced under insurance. Oil pan damage. Airbags deployed. Wrong fuel engine damage. Not to mention many body panels, mirrors, etc. All were insurance claims. But then again, there will always be a first one. Or some sort of exceptions.Hey, just look at our local insurance. All my claims that I had lived in this province so far was not paid satisfactory. Majority of the collision claims are 50/50. They would like to make fault at both parties as often as they can.