Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eamond

Installing chrome package and double horn

6 posts in this topic

Ladies and Gentlemen,I bought a chrome package and double horn from the dealer last weekend. Does anyone know how to change out the grille and install the second horn on a 451?Thanks,Dave

Yes, changing the grille on a 451 is not so easy. I started the removal on one side, and used a screwdriver as suggested in this post. Using a screwdriver left a mark or dent on the front panel. I found that a narrow stiff putty knife is a far more appropriate tool. It took lots of prying and tugging, but the clips did let go one by one, and the original grille came out. Taking the mesh out of the original grille and installing it in the chrome grille is easy. Installing the chrome grille is simple. It just pushes into place. The material that the front panel is made of is so soft and pliable that the dent or mark mostly came back out on its own. I used a blunt rounded tool to smooth it out the rest of the way. That worked well. The chrome grille and the rest of chrome package looks great!I agree that partial or complete removal of the front panel really is in order to change the grille, and that's what I would do if I had to change the grille again.Dave

Get a set of nylon panel pry bars from Princess Auto or Napa or someplace - you will thank yourself for the scratches you save!

They Look something like this!

The interior plastic on the smart is really soft as well so they work great for that too.

Cheers,

Cameron