Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a2jack

Relasing Sticking Shifter NA451.

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's the "Field Fix" to get you home. 1. Remove shift knob by turning the plastic collar under the shift knob assy, CCW a half turn or so. (use padded pliers) and go easy as it is soft plastic. Lift off the knob assy. (you may need to turn the knob CCW to lift off, I don't remember if I turned it or not).2. Depress the white button on top of the shifter shaft and wiggle the shifter while pulling the shifter back down. Do not apply excessive pressure or you will break the very weak plastic parts below. 3. If step two fails to release shifter, slide a flat screw driver, or as the road-service guy did, use the handle of the pliers to slide under the rear of the console box and lift a yellow tab that will release the shifter while someone wiggles and GENTLY pulls the shifter back.. ??? Now I added the question marks as I did not ,myself, perform nor see step 3. being done. This part was related by my wife and confirmed by the people at Smart service. The service truck guy was talked through the procedure via a phone link to Smart service tech.Good luck and keep us posted. A2Jack

Edited by a2jack

Mine locked up this week (2,300 miles, 2 months old). It was picked up & sent back to the dealer. They are replacing the assembly as opposed to lubing it. But, will it be replaced with another defective part or did they redesign it? When I called the national number to have them pick it up, he said "a recall probably will be coming."

Xray: Thanks for the post. It looks like this problem will get bigger as more miles are put on the cars. We have owned our car 5 weeks and our is driving is mixed, but not a lot of stops. thus it went to 3,000 miles before it locked up. What a PIA this is. The service people said there was no fix for the problem, just be gentle with the shifter. :lol: BTW. everyone out there in remote areas should at least have a pair of pliers and a screwdriver on board.A2Jack.

Edited by a2jack

When my button was stuck, my service advisor (on the phone) just had me yank off the knob by hand; simply pulling it straight up.. There was nothing gentle about this action, it took a lot of mite. With the shifter knob off, I was able to press the white linkage with my thumb to get it into and out of park or reverse (just to get to the dealer).At the dealer, they simply sanded down the edges of the linkage and put the knob back on (while waiting for the replacement).. This temp fix works fine and silky smooth, it's been over 10,000 kms now.

Edited by denisjolicoeur

Should go under the How To section as well - Mods...Thanks for the interim fix - sounds like this is an issue for a lot of 451 folks - make sure you let your fellow 451 owners know if you see them.Cheers,Cameron

Denis. Following step one, the knob comes off easily with just your fingertips. I went out and pulled it as soon as wife returned home, so that I could post this first hand. Regards. A2Jack.

Edited by a2jack

Here is cheap and dirty fix by Old Smart on the SCOA forum, to stop the shifter from going too far forward.

I wrapped two turns of thick, rubber electric tape around mine today and it seems to work well. This Bumper may help until Smart does a recall.

Posted Image