Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yolanda

road noise

17 posts in this topic

I like road noise. I keep reading people talking about it like it's a bad thing. Why? It's your environment! It tells you what your car is doing, what is going on around you. It's your car's song and it can warn you early about problems. Sometimes I have occasion to drive with the back hatch partly open (hauling a ladder) and I love hearing the engine unmuted from the back! I can turn up the music and still hear how it's doing and when it needs to shift and stuff. :D

I have to agree I did not find the road noise extensive in my test drive and think it adds character to the car (and lets you know what is going on with the car at all times, a good thing in my opinion as well). I don't want to drive an isolation chamber myself, but others do, so I guess it's all good. :)Just don't expect the smart to be something it isn't and you'll love it (as I know from your posts you do :) ).Scott

road noise in my doorless, topless jeep wrangler on 35" tall off-road tires makes the smart's road noise seem like a mouse's whisper. :)

Greetings:I like a little road noise. But on a long trip (say, a 1000K trip on one day), the "song" gets a little tiring - like listening to those endless hospital lottery ads on tv (except you can't change the channel)I don't drive the car that way very often and I don't think it was intended to be a touring car.Some people are immune to such noise (my wife drove about 2 km home in the rain one day on a completely flat front tire - she did notice that it was pulling to the right pretty hard...).Ian

before purchasing...i had read online where the smart was very noisy inside...personally i do not find it that bad at all...and like mentioned above...it lets me know how the car is acting...as far as on longer trips...the music is cranked anyways

I really don't think the road noise is that bad with my Smart. I own a 2006 coupe and I can hear the tires hum a little and the diesel engine's low growl at about 95k per hour on the highway but it certainly isn't annoying to me. My SUV has a lot more road noise.

i had read online where the smart was very noisy inside

I have a theory on that. One of the first things the reviewer does when he/she/it gets a demo unit from MB is have a peek at the engine. We all know how finiky the 450 is to close that lid. I'm betting that in most cases the lid does not catch and the reviewer drives off hearing all that valve and turbo noise and says 'gee - this car is noisy!' The PR people that arrange for these rides should really ensure that the journalist knows how to close the lid!

I have a theory on that. One of the first things the reviewer does when he/she/it gets a demo unit from MB is have a peek at the engine. We all know how finiky the 450 is to close that lid. I'm betting that in most cases the lid does not catch and the reviewer drives off hearing all that valve and turbo noise and says 'gee - this car is noisy!' The PR people that arrange for these rides should really ensure that the journalist knows how to close the lid!

now that is a super point..my father had the hardest time each time he went to close the lid on my car

I've taken my 451 on the highway before. As a rational person I would have to admit to myself it's louder then most mid-size sedans. For example, a smart 451 is probably louder on the highway than a 1996 Ford Taurus. However, look at what it's made of. Look at the mileage that it gets. Is the tradeoff worth it? The 451 (can't speak for the 450) is louder on the highway than most cars, BUT, it's not unbearably loud. It's nearly exactly what one would expect from a $15,000 (CAD) sub-compact car. Personally I am happy with the smart and its extra noise but people shouldn't deny the fact it's slightly louder than most mid-sizes :)"adds character?" - Don't make excuses! Just say you don't mind that it's slightly louder than most other cars! I agree with this statement though: "Just don't expect the smart to be something it isn't and you'll love it" :)

The Noise of the Smart, is its beauty, hearing that little turbo spin up, hearing that airy noise it makes while sipping fuel, feeling the vibration of the Mercedes Diesel shoving the smart along, hearing the gears change up and down, Oh Gawd.......I love it all. I have owned 33 cars before this one, and this one is the best, the most exciting, the most mechanically sweet. Hey, My salesman says, either you get it, or you don't......I got it. I love it...the more Road Noise, the better, otherwise, buy a Buick!!!!!!!! Brian

Sweet! Welcome to the club! Glad to see you discovered the smart.Enjoy! :drive:

brahmy, think you have hit the problem right on the head, the people who complain about the noise expect them to be as quiet as a larger car. I wouldn't expect the smart to be as quiet as a mid-sized car, I also wouldn't expect a Yaris or Fit to be as quiet as a mid-sized car, because they are all sub-compact cars. I don't expect the smart to even be as quiet as the Fit or Yaris, it is even smaller, and there is less room for sound deadening, and the engine compartment is not exactly separated from the passenger compartment. I think that the smart is very quiet for what it is, and I would be very happy living with one. Of course I can't comment on the 451 (as you can't comment on the 450) since I haven't driven one, but it is supposed to be quieter than what I tested, so even with the smart it appears that they have made it better, but I agree it will never be big car quiet, and it shouldn't have to be.Glad you are happy with yours :) I hope to be happy with one someday soon.Scott.

I find the wind noise in the cabrio a bit much, but in the 451 cabrio I drove yesterday here in Germany, it was a LOT quieter, even at 145+ km/h. I think this test car was quieter at that speed than mine is at 100. So the new ones are pretty well improved in that respect.Alec Issigonis once said "a comfortable driver is an inattentive driver". Well I do not subscribe to that theory, and he was saying it in response to critics of his 1959 Mini design ;) After an 8 hour drive in the smart, I am a little more clapped out than in my other cars. The 451 is something in another league, from what I have experienced.

The Smart Passion seems as quiet as most Honda Civics. But only a sound level test would prove it. A2Jack.

Edited by a2jack

Subjectively, and excusing my failing memory, I do not believe the 450 is any noisier than the 1977 Honda Civic was. It too was looked at with scorn by any detroit iron owners. The only difference now is my hearing is not as good as it was then.....so maybe it IS LOUDER.John :D:D

Subjectively, and excusing my failing memory, I do not believe the 450 is any noisier than the 1977 Honda Civic was. It too was looked at with scorn by any detroit iron owners. The only difference now is my hearing is not as good as it was then.....so maybe it IS LOUDER.John :D:D

Nor is mine. Too many hours in those old airplanes. In fact the Smart sounds downright quiet to me. :D