Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a2jack

Get Home Fix For You Stuck shifter.

11 posts in this topic

Please refrain from posts like this that are link-only.Instead, post the actual material here. While we don't (yet) have a policy, its just not great to fork people over to a different site. If you like our site, I think we'd prefer that you post your material here.Thank you. - Steven

+1 Common netiquette is to post a substantive excerpt followed by a read more here link.

Example:

1. Slip fingers slightly between bottom edge of the cover and the carpet. Pull up and back ,and snap the cover loose, but do pull up over an inch or so. Be gentle. Prop up front of cover about an inch.

2. On the ground, looking in under the cover from the drivers side, you can see a yellow lever just inside the cover. WITH THE KEY ON , Lift this yellow lever while wiggling and pulling the shifter down, out of park. (Wife used a pen to lift the lever).

3, Do not try to use Park again until the whole shifter box has been replaced.

More detail and photos on smartcarofamerica.com

My $0.o2

Bil :sun:

We do appreciate that you are contributing! Thanks for the tip (softip?)

Hmm, re-reading, I suppose I came off a bit gruff there. Gent's absolutely right - we very much appreciate the contribution. I didn't mean to sound like a [pick word of your choice]... and my post should have been a combination of both Gent's (for thanks and tact) and Bil's (for constructive suggestion) :) (so thanks for the save guys! - Steven

1. Slip fingers slightly between bottom edge of the cover and the carpet. Pull up and back ,and snap the cover loose, but do not pull up over an inch or so. Be gentle. Prop up front of cover about an inch.

2. On the ground, looking in under the cover from the drivers side, you can see a yellow lever just inside the cover. WITH THE KEY ON , Lift this yellow lever while wiggling and pulling the shifter down, out of park. (Wife used a pen to lift the lever).

3, Do not try to use Park again until the whole shifter box has been replaced.

Posted Image

Short Hoz tape marks point to slip in fingers. Same spot on other side. Hands at 10 and 2 o-clock

Long Vert tape points to the place under cover to access yellow lever.

Edited by a2jack
1 person likes this

Thanks for the pics! - makes the post a lot more relevant for the folks that only peruse here.Cheers,Cameron

Will need to try this today - car locked up last night in a public parking lot. (Hope the car is still there and undamaged).

Anyone know what it costs to replace the "shifter box"?

J & J

I'm not sure about the smart but most times I've seen this in the past the problem has been a failed brake switch or blown fuse for the brake lights. A quick check would be to see if the brake lights come on when pressing the pedal.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Shifter stuck in Park (and ABS light) were both caused by a defective brake light switch (thanks for the tip Nigel).

Park override fix worked like a charm, although it took more force to free the cover than I expected.

Brake light replaced , shifter works normally and the ABS light is off.

Great forum

1 person likes this