Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schmimbo

What Happend to this Forum Section?

15 posts in this topic

I've been coming here every night since I joined and commenting in areas that I felt compelled to contribute something to. However it seems that nobody is around here anymore posting in this section. Seems like as soon as the smarts were being delivered in the USA everybody jumped ship and bailed out of this section. Kind of sad to me about this forum. I know not everybody has taken delivery of their smarts yet so I don’t know where everybody went. I am still waiting for my smart and probably will for quite sometime. Don't quite understand smarts delays with delivery and why they are doing a non first come first serve delivery deal with the reservations.Here are my thoughts and please don’t blast me if I’m completely off. This is only me thinking out loud based on what I’ve read and seen on Youtube from smart executives etc. I don’t know maybe somebody has already done the math like this in the forum. Probably needs to be done in some kind of spreadsheet and then reposted like Ohio Smart does his magic with the reservation codes here. Here is my best estimate.25,000 smarts scheduled for delivery first year at least that’s what I was told or heard from Penske group (PAG) at the beginning of all this craziness.600 smarts per day being built and out of 600 smarts per day 200 are for the USA customers 400 for the rest of the world.200 smarts per day being built each day x 5 days a week = 1000 USA smarts ready to ship each week.1000 smarts ready for shipment each week + 1 month boat ride (How many Smarts fit on a boat ride?) (How Many Different boats ship smarts?)4 weeks per month (some months 5 weeks) = 4000 USA smarts made each month ready to ship 1 month boat ride on ship give or take weather condtions, pirates, refugee boats, drug runners and US Coast Guard etc. :) 2 approximate weeks for customs give or take the drug/bomb/contraband sniffing dogs. (Estimate Based on my Customs Experience)6 weeks total from France completed smart to USA any port and ready for a truck ride to the local dealers.1 week at dealer to prep and service car and make sure good to go and call potential buyer.7 weeks total time from France production completion to USA dealer delivery by truck.8 weeks worse case scenario and to give them the benefit of the whatever I’ve missed factor. :)1000 smarts per week, 4000 smarts per month + 8 weeks delivery time.25000 smarts manufactured for the USA divided by 4000 smarts per month is 6.25 months total build time for USA smarts. Lets say 7 months.7 months total build time for 08 USA smarts.Next equationPeople who live in France get about 8 weeks off for holidays and summer breaks etc during the year. 2 months off! Mandatory got it.(Wish I lived there now looking at this timetable)First smarts delivery here in the USA was January 15 here at my local dealer or close to it. They were here at customs the first of January.Counting backwards now. January delivery - 2 weeks customs, 1 month boat ride, = 6 weeks puts us at November 15th 2007 these smarts were being loaded at the port in France. Just a guesstamate. 25 weeks manufacture time for 25,000 smarts made for USA and construction started for the 08 model back in 07 but for the sake of this thread lets say they started in September even though they were taking reservations from us as early as March 07 correct? Minus holidays, gearing up for the new model from 450 to 451 etc and using the ramp up to production effect. I am sure we can fine-tune this. But here is my best guess.August 0 smarts France Summer BreakSeptember 1500 smarts = Holding at smartvilleOctober 1500 smarts = Holding at smartvilleNovember 4000 smarts = January Delivery according to the above time tableDecember (Holidays?) 3000 smarts (from earlier production from Sept-Oct?) = February Delivery January 4000 smarts = March deliveryFebruary 4000 smarts = April deliveryMarch 4000 smarts = May deliveryApril 4000 smarts = June deliveryMay 4000 smarts = July deliveryJune 4000 smarts = August deliveryJuly 4000 smarts = September delivery FINAL DELIVER FOR 08sAugust France Summer BreakSeptember start over for 09 451 smart production startsSo why is there such the hold up in delivery and why such the long wait and so many delays for a regular delivery time frame for so many that reserved early in the program?Anyway that’s my two cents for the USA smart group.Please don’t blast me this is just my thoughts on an accurate timetable for delivery for us still waiting and what the major malfunction seems to be.Tim

That is some impressive thinking laid out clearly Tim. I think you've hit the nail on the head. The only wobble factor would be the number of vessels carting the 451, or the dealerships dropping the ball on their end for shipments.

I know the boat ride quantity of smarts, how many ships inbound and the dealer delivery or pick up/trucking thing is my only thing missing for my guesstamate to semi-accurately pinpoint delivery times. Perhaps the people who have new smarts can look at the door jam and see when the manufacture date was or if it even says it and then tell us when it was delivered. I wonder how close this would be. :)

i think it might be incorrect to assume that if they're making 600/day in hambach, that 200 of them are for the US. it would make more sense for them to make several days for one market, several days for another. so, over time, the average is 200/day for the US, but realtime production does not equal 200/day.it would make sense for them to produce enough to fill a ship destined for one of the three US ports.which might mean that the other two ports go unfulfilled until the next go-round. which could account for regional anomalies in the delivery estimate.i don't know how many ships they are using, but if one is enroute to baltimore, perhaps while enroute they are making cars for one of the other ports. and the baltimore port doesn't get any more until the ship makes a round-trip.i suspect that some of the hold up is actually quite normal, it's just that we as consumers, typically do not track our purchases from factory to our door. we're accustomed to seeing the cars in the lot, going in and buying one.

Also, once the smarts reach the U.S. they must be delivered by truck. If there is only one truck making deliveries to the dealers it will take a very long time. I Know, I know , they have more than one truck. Point is, do they have enough?

I was told my my local smartcenter Dealership Manager that all their smarts come in a fully enclosed trailer. I don't know how big the truck is but they have been only getting at the Dealership in Virginia Beach, Virginia USA only around 15-20 each Month.

15-20 per month in Virginia is not very good anywhere. Gonna be along wait if this is the reality of dealerships.

Tim, what a write up!! I am still around actually. My home dealer (Smart Center BH) called me a couple of weeks ago. Expected delivery mid May. Just received my VIN yesterday. That being said, one thing we did kind of assume is that the manufacturing line is somewhat optimized in Hambach. Is 600/week an assumption or as claimed by SmartUSA?

i think it might be incorrect to assume that if they're making 600/day in hambach, that 200 of them are for the US. it would make more sense for them to make several days for one market, several days for another. so, over time, the average is 200/day for the US, but realtime production does not equal 200/day.

I was at the factory on the 16th and that day the first shift had produced only 245 smarts.They make the smarts to order so you see some NA smarts but it didn't look like a high proportion.Unfortunately they are not making the US market their highest priority. I would think that they would be wise to devote an entire months allocation to the USA and let the other markets wait imho.

that would be great for us, but perhaps the lack of priority on the US has to do with the euro/usd exchange rate and a reduced margin?

that would be great for us, but perhaps the lack of priority on the US has to do with the euro/usd exchange rate and a reduced margin?

Very good point. I was wondering what information a person has to supply to a Dealership so they can provide me a VIN number of my car that is 'on the boat'? any help or information would be appreciated.

I was at the factory on the 16th and that day the first shift had produced only 245 smarts.They make the smarts to order so you see some NA smarts but it didn't look like a high proportion.Unfortunately they are not making the US market their highest priority. I would think that they would be wise to devote an entire months allocation to the USA and let the other markets wait imho.

I think this is very sad news to me about Smarts delivery to the USA not being a priority. I would at least hope for equal priority to the world supply.Very bad news to me. Thank you for sharing.

I found out today by calling and starting to snoop at my local dealer since my 1 year anniversary is this month to find out what the scoop is. What I feel is a bottle neck in Smart So Cal Deliveries. Dealer says they are only getting 40 smarts a month and 30% are being orphaned and people are not picking up their smarts right away. They still feel the DDE is correct as far as the first part of DDE is more likely your delivery time frame. However they feel that there is no reasoning for the way smart is handling deliveries. They dont understand it and they cant make sence of any of it. Right now they are delivering smarts for people who reserved in April 07. Which isnt that bad considering only a 13 month wait. However they have no clue for me and my May reservation. Said strange things happen all the time. 90 day eta delivery call goes out and then next week the guys car is in. Cars come in early for some and others have to wait much longer than others with no reasoning as to why etc. They tried to give me some gleam of hope but I wasnt buying that false hope.Tim

Just to put my 2 cents in, I ordered April 16th 07, configured Nov 25th 07, my car just arrived at the dealer monday May 5th 08. The estimator still shows my car as arriving between 4/6 - 7/5 2008. The dealer went from having no information on my car other then it was in the "system" to a few weeks later its on the ground in Baltimore. I have to pick the car up tomorrow, dealer seems to be in a big hurry to deliver. Happy it has arrived and can go out and play in the new toy.

Just to put my 2 cents in, I ordered April 16th 07, configured Nov 25th 07, my car just arrived at the dealer monday May 5th 08. The estimator still shows my car as arriving between 4/6 - 7/5 2008. The dealer went from having no information on my car other then it was in the "system" to a few weeks later its on the ground in Baltimore. I have to pick the car up tomorrow, dealer seems to be in a big hurry to deliver. Happy it has arrived and can go out and play in the new toy.

Thats pretty good delivery time for you. Still too long but glad shes almost home to you. Post the pictures when you get her.Tim