Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

So, about tires...

51 posts in this topic

So, I put on my summers today, thinking "meh, this isn't going to be any better, since they've got a season on them and are nearly bald." Jack 'em up to 35 and off I go. FRICK they stick. SO GOOD. Forgot how GOOD this car is sometimes to drive... I mean, winters for some reason I've noticed always seem to slide around corners really bad.LOVE THIS CAR SO FRICKIN' MUCH. I can't possibly imagine how it can get any better, does putting wider tires/rims on the car REALLY improve on this?! Because I can't see how that's possible, honestly. It's SO GOOD stock.Can not imagine driving anything else, ever. Damn I have to make this thing last.-Iain

... does putting wider tires/rims on the car REALLY improve on this?!

Yes. REALLY :yes: You would have an anxiety attack, it so much better.:sun:

Hmm. Well, until someone proves it to me, I can't believe it! Anyone willing to let me try and flip their car?-Iain

Iain, If you do the 17/16 combo with Bilsteins, you will almost want to have sex with your car.It feels like a whole different thing, a much better thing.

I plan on going 195/40 all around to get rid of the GD understeer. Duck, you MUST have encountered the understeer's "I don't care that you've turned the wheel, we're going straight" thing!

... I plan on going 195/40 all around to get rid of the GD understeer.

WHAT wheels can you do that with?B :sun:haha... you said Duck going straight... :lol:

Bigger tires are a good thing for performance on the smart, but it lowers the fuel economy.In Europe smart has the performance (pulse) version of the smart that comes with bigger tires front/back and of course the brabus comes with bigger rear tires.As for going up to 195's all around will give some better traction, but you will also need to upgrade the wheels as the stock passion and even pulse wheels can't handle the 195 tire on the front. There is also the possible issue of rubbing with this large of a tire, we're running the brabus suspension on the 451 which makes the tires on the front basically sit inside the wheel well. Also the brabus version of the smart keeps the 175 on the front but goes up to the 205s in the rear, so maybe there is something to keeping the fronts at a 175?I drive the 451 with the 175s and have found less understeer, which is a good thing, the next upgrade is just to get better rubber on the 175s which will solve the rest of the problem. But Gent do let me know your experience with 195's on the front.

Iain, If you do the 17/16 combo with Bilsteins, you will almost want to have sex with your car.

Who says I don't already? LOLWhat's "17/16 combo with Bilsteins"?-Iain

Hmm. Well, until someone proves it to me, I can't believe it! Anyone willing to let me try and flip their car?-Iain

I'm taking off my Vredesteins this week if you want to try them on for a few days. Better to compare the ride on the same car, easier to notice the differences.

I believe the under-steer is there for a deliberate reason. Removing it moves you toward over-steer, which is saying you are getting the back wheels to break away rather than the front. In a car as short as ours you can only depend on the ESP for so much, and removing the under-steer takes you that much closer to suddenly finding your self driving backward around a sharp corner.As is, I find the car handles just fine with the stock summer tires. I can think of a lot of other things I would rather spend my money on.YMMV. ETHO.

Who says I don't already? LOL

What's "17/16 combo with Bilsteins"?

-Iain

Bilstein suspension with 16" front wheels and 17" rear wheels. 175/50 front tyres and 225/35 rear tyres.

Posted Image

I ran 195/40/16s all around last year on my Crossblades, was a huge improvement, we will see if the 17" Work setup will be any better or perhaps a little on the extreme side, although I am so looking forward to cruising around town with those 8" wide wheels in the back!

Yeah, the interesting thing about the 195/40 tire is that it comes for a 16" and a 17" wheel. I'm just saving my sheckles and researching smart wheel designs that come in both those sizes. Gotta find one that doesn't break the bank (like Brabus does), but has the look I like.

When I put the 16/17 package on, my fuel milage droped like a BOMB.350-400 kms per tank , instead of my usual 450-500.Also, the very low profile rear tires you have to mount on 17's rims are really to hard / firm to run on the street.There just isn't any flex or give in the tires sidewall, if you have all super smooth streets your ok.But that's not usually the case.16's all around would be a smother ride, Eddy warned me about this on the 17's, but I just had to have them

I keep my 175s up around 40psi, so I ride pretty hard already, but thanks for the warning.

I put the Roadster steelies all the way around 5" and 6" with 195/50/15 and 175/55/15 and wow what a difference and I never noticed a drop in fuel economy, HANDLING IS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY!!!

Are you guys serious? I still can't imagine... because STOCK, it handles like, so, SO much better than any car. Like I can throw around corners without even thinking about it, ever... how can it possibly be any better??? I can see like, 10% better... but night and day?Can someone take a video of them flying around a right turn at an interesection with a green light or something? Because I do curves/on ramps rated for 30 km/h at 80 km/h without any trouble on the stock pulse rubber.-Iain

Stop tempting me with those damn triline rims!!Want so bad.-Iain

It's not just the cornering on nice sunny days, but also the improved handling during gusting sidewinds on the highway. I can feel the entire car being buffeted, but the steering wheel doesn't move. Everyone who has gone wider with varying rubber/rims has done so to match their tastes. If your happy with stock, keep them, you obviously enjoy their ride. I've never driven on Continentals, my pure came with Bridgestones, which were lacking to say the least. JMO

The basic car handles well on the skinnies.....up to the point where the front tires wash out completely, which is where the wider ones shine. This is more apparent when the road is wet, but it also happens on dry roads. The modest increase to a 175 section on the front makes an appreciable difference.I am typing this from the Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans (at Le Mans of course), on the Hunaudières straight (which they vandalised with three chicanes several years ago). Best straightaway in racing, and I have been driving on it.....;)

bâtard! Teasing us like that.One of the things I've noticed about the smart is that it FEELS better in corners than many cars; however, there have been a few times that I've had a motivated driver in a decent vehicle ahead of me through corners. I can tell you that our confidence behind the wheel of our cars is 90% of the reason we seem to perform so much better.There are quite a few cars in our price bracket that can hand us our lunchpails in the corners. As well as the straights, lol."Fun to drive" can feel a lot like "high performance". Which is just fine with me!On a side note, one of the things I want to set up at the track course in August is a video camera on the slalom section. It should be interesting to see the differences between all the various mods (tires, suspensions, etc).

I often get frustrated on on ramps when SUVs go so slowly that I have to hit the brakes. But I do love it when a large vehicle tailgates me on the highway and then I lose them on the off ramp.

I've been looking at options since I need new summers. One of the other reasons for going up a notch in size is to access the Vredestein tires. According to Fast Eddy (and supported by some web surfing) the stock conti's are the only available 145 width tires available. You can get the Vredesteins starting at the 175 width - usually used in 175/195 config. Other options start kicking in at 195/205 or by going to a 16" rim. 17" rims are also an option if you like running with no give in your tires.Does anyone know if the Canadian Pulse rim is available in a width suitable for 195 width (euro spec?)? I'm thinking of moving the rear rims to the front and buying only two new rear rims rather than buying a whole set of 4 rims.In terms of handling I think the biggest gain would be had by going to one of the sport suspensions ($1-1.5K) even if you stayed with the skinny tires. Combine sport suspension with wider tires and you'd really be cooking. Throw in a remap and you ready for AX.

I'm thinking of moving the rear rims to the front and buying only two new rear rims rather than buying a...

Nope; can't be done, cousin. The offset on the rear wheel will not permit fitment on the front. :notworking: B :sun: