Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sponge

parking downtown toronto

13 posts in this topic

so my wife is parking her smart car downtown toronto around the university and college area this evening and a parking enforcer (the person who drives around and gives parking tickets) commented to her that 'parking a smart car in downtown toronto is smart, you don't have to pay to park on the street.' can someone direct me to anything to confirm this? if i'm not mistaken, motorbikes and scooters are exempt (but i could be wrong (something about not being able to display a ticket)). i've been parking in lots and it is kinda costly compared to free. :D:D:D

I'd be interested when this rolls out. I did a thorough search of the City's web site, but so far no sign of this program. Maybe it's provincial, as they are issuing special plates?

Greetings:What a good idea. I hope they come up with a sticker system rather than a whole plate because I don't want to change what I already paid for. Ian

and for those looking for cheap parking (i'm downtown all the time)...bay st. across from the bus terminal, just down the street from the worlds biggest bookstore, parking on a weekend is $5. park, walk 5mins to yonge st, close to the eaton ctr. (sears centre now). best place downtown on a weekend.

edward st.if you ngo north on yonge from say, the q e w, turn left on edward, like youre going to the worlds biggest bookstore, then just a little past it, across bay st, is the parking lot.

Cheepest parking for a good time in the city is across from the bier markt. 5 bucks. If you don't like The Esplanade, Queen west is your next best bet. Parking my smart on the street has never been a problem there. _dq_

i've been looking around and still can't seem to confirm/ or deny if smart cars get to park for 'free' on downtown toronto streets.regardless, here's a story of my 'parking' from friday evening. and how convoluted trying to park in toronto is.i personnally don't park on the street because i very much believe in keeping my little smart 'garage kept'. that and i don't trust the other morons in there oversized vehicles parking on the street and bumping into my little car. so i choose to park in parking garages. downtown yesterday (college and university area), the under ground garage i park in charges $4 for every half an hour from 5am to 5pm, or you can buy a $15 ticket which will let you park in the garage till 5am the next day. or if you park after 5pm, your two options are $2 for every half hour or you can buy an $8 ticket that is good till 5am in the morning. so i show up in the garage at 4:45. my options are, buy an all day pass for $15, or buy a half hour ticket ($4), then return by 5:15 and buy an all nite pass ($8), total cost $12 and two trips to the parking ticket machine, or stand around for 15 min's and buy an all nite pass for $8. so there i was standing around the parking machine (i was in the process of choosing the last option) when another guy offered me this option. apparently he had an appointment from from 3pm till 5pm. if he was to buy two hours of parking time, it would have cost $16, so he opted to buy an all day pass and save a dollar. then he saw me standing around the parking ticket dispenser machine and offer to sell me his ticket which is good till 5am for $5 (which i paid for). so in the end, his parking costed him a total of $10 (a saving of five or six dollars), and me $5 (a saving of three or eight or ten dollars). parking in downtown toronto is so much fun. :D:D:D

Edited by sponge

Bicycles and transit sound better all the time. Here in my city which is easy to get around by bike or car, but not so easy to use bus, I know all the best places to find free parking within reasonable walking distance. Still I don't always find it. Generally if I"m going downtown though, I use a bike. it's so much more relaxed all around. I think I'd do the same in T.O., using the ravines to bypass what traffic I could. Doesn't the subway and go train allow you to bring your bike on?

funny you should mention public transit. so i'm leaving the parking garage at a little after 12pm from downtown toronto, and there seems to be a lot of people walking about, and a crazy amount of taxi's running around. turns out right at 12pm on a friday nite, the t.t.c. (toronto transit commission) decided to go on strike, and tell no one. so all the people who took transit to downtown toronto to go bar hopping, or clubbing, or whatever had to find an alternative way to get back home in the middle of the nite. there were a lot of unhappy people out on the town last nite.oh, bicycling around toronto is fun and do-able. i've managed to be hit only once (clipped a side view mirror), and you have to be very careful around the street car tracks. i personnally feel safer riding around toronto then out here in the suburbs of mississauga (the roads are a lot wider out here in the 'burbs, but the traffic is also much much much faster). i don't think you can load your bike onto a street car as of yet. some of the newer busses do have bicycle racks, but they will only mount your bike up during no rush hour times. you can bring your bike onto the subway too, but again, i'm pretty sure it has to be at low peak hours. :D:D:D