Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sheureka

New Smart Owner in Bisbee Arizona

12 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!I'm picking up my 2008 yellow/silver/black cabriolet this Wednesday. It's used (600 miles) but I got tired of waiting and it's going to end up costing me a little less than a new one by saving on dealer prep, sales tax, and destination charges. It has all of the US factory options - fog lights, alarm, comfort package, and tach/clock pods. I use a wheelchair most of the time so I normally drive a van with a lift for my big electric chair. But I recently bought a very small chair that breaks down into four pieces, with the heaviest weighing only 30 pounds so I can handle it myself and it will fit into the cargo area. I can't wait to see people's reaction :P - not only to the car but also to my pulling my little wheelchair out, putting it together, and driving off. Here's a picture of the car and the chair - as soon as I get the car I'll take another picture with the chair broken down in the cargo area. I can't wait!- sheureka

post-5706-1209253422_thumb.jpg

post-5706-1209253766_thumb.jpg

Edited by sheureka

Hi Sheureka. My couple is exactly the same color as your Cab, yellow over silver and I had that same chair home for a test a short time ago. Small world, eh?

Hi Sheureka. My couple is exactly the same color as your Cab, yellow over silver and I had that same chair home for a test a short time ago. Small world, eh?

Wow! Very small world! And speaking of small, did you try it in your cargo space? I really love that chair because I can travel with it and fit it into the trunk of a rental car. I have a "real" Pride Jazzy chair and a big 4-wheel Hurricane mobility scooter - but both of them have to be transported in the van. (Both of them are a lot faster too! :rolleyes: ) - sheureka

Posted (edited) · Report post

I picked the car up this morning - I had it delivered from the LA area to Bisbee for $250. The transport driver said every time he stopped someone wanted to know about it - it was on a transport with a Porsche, a Corvette, and a couple of BMW's - and nobody asked about any of those cars!Anyway, I'm really happy so far. After about a block I figured out the the way it wants to shift, and it's been really smooth since then. And I got my wheelchair into the cargo area! As soon as I got home I checked to see if "Oriole" was available for a license plate in Arizona - and it is! I have a pair of Scott's Orioles that have built a nest under the eaves right above my kitchen window. Last year they had babies there, and though it's a little early yet they've already started cleaning it up, hopefully for more babies this year. Anyway, if you don't know what a Scott's looks like do a google search. It will be very apparent why she's going to be oriole.Enjoy!

post-5706-1209845438_thumb.jpg

Edited by sheureka

Welcome to CsC! It is really great to see that the chair fits the hatch area so well. I can also see why the smart is called oriole. The white wing bars look almost like the silver teridion on your oriole.John

Welcome to the club....I stayed in the Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee a long time ago!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Oriole is home now - and has a new front plate! The car was originally sold in Utah, and had holes drilled for a front plate. But we don't use front plates for Arizona, so rather than plugging up the holes I thought I'd have some more fun! The plate is actually closer to the color of the car than it looks in the picture. Unfortunately Oriole doesn't have her rear plate yet because I don't have the title (but it should be here tomorrow). This is a really small town and I'm just driving her around with no plates or paper or anything! So far nobody minds. And I'm having a very, very good time.

By the way, if anyone wants a special plate I ordered that one from http://www.smartblonde.com - uploaded the scanned image from my computer, ordered the plate on Sunday and it was here today (Wednesday)! It's printed on aluminum and I'm very pleased with the quality. With shipping it was about $25.

post-5706-1210199983_thumb.jpg

post-5706-1210200000_thumb.jpg

Edited by sheureka

Welcome to the club!