Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snow_Dogs

K&N Filters for 451

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi All,

I just emailed K&N to see if they have an air filter for my 451 and I was told that they haven't any for the non turbo North American fourtwo yet and I should visit their product request page. This is a web form that takes your name, email address and make of car and informs you that you will be notified by email when the product is developed. I made a point of specifying the engine type as non turbo. Then being the curious thing that I am, I asked if more people filed out the form would it help bring the product to market quicker and the answer was yes. That the request form goes straight to their R&D department. So my reason for this post, if you are interested in K&N filters for your new 451 then let them know.

Cheers...

http://www.knfilters.com/products_needed/default.aspx

Edited by Snow_Dogs

done.. I've actually been on their case for months. I want a whole FIPK kit. Made a huge difference for all my previous vehicles (in both performance and MPG).The intake on this thing looks very restrictive with too many baffles to muffle sound.

Edited by denisjolicoeur

Hi Guys,We have the itg tri-foam filter and the silicone air intake hoses already made and available for the 71bhp 451. We have found on the 450 model that the itg actually gives a better flow-v-filtration than the K&N.Katewww.wellsmart.com

The intercooler hoses for the 84bhp are already in stock, as soon as the 71bhp & 84bhp (they are not interchangeable like the old Brabus version was) are in they will be added to the shop. Paul stayed up until 3am yesterday (this morning) to yell at our suppliers (we are in the US currently and they are UK based!) as we should have had them 2 weeks ago, including one for Steven to ensure works 100% on the US car (and to give him a boost on his 'onelapofamerica')As soon as they arrive at the workshops in the UK they will be on the online store, the US store is coming soon too!KateWellSmart USA LLC

Guys... the K&N listed on the site is fine for your car. It doesn't matter turbo or not. That's the exact same filter the 450 used. A turbo will benefit MORE from increase airflow, but its not going to hurt a non turbo version at all. Am I 100% certain? You know what, I can be... I have that exact filter on my shelf and I have a 2008 smart in the garage. - Steven

Hi Guys,

We have the itg tri-foam filter and the silicone air intake hoses already made and available for the 71bhp 451. We have found on the 450 model that the itg actually gives a better flow-v-filtration than the K&N.

Kate

www.wellsmart.com

+1 for the ITG filter... I think it's tops!

B :sun:

The 450 filter is a cylindrical one and the 451 is a flat panel so they are not interchangeable!Kate

Did they change the air filter for the US market??

Did they change the air filter for the US market??

No. I have a panel filter in my 451. And I order a new filter from Smart to send to K&N for sample. It is also a panel filter.

well, how about that.How odd. I was just going by the K&N site listing the same filter for the 451 (turbo) as was used in the 450 cdi.So why would the absense of a turbo use a completely different filter? Or is K&N's site wrong and that's not what the turbo 451 uses? - Steven

I received an email from a K&N Tech pointing me to the round filter. I replied back asking how the round filter is suppose to replace the existing panel filter, if there is adapter that can be used. I will post the Tech's reply when I receive it. Perhapse we can use the round filter somehow.

I thnk that answers that then. Mistake on K&N's site regarding the 451.Yeah, it didn't make any sense to me at all that the European cars with the exact same engine, regardless of if they have a turbo or not, would have a different filter than ours.Thanks for finding and posting that link! - Steven

well, how about that.How odd. I was just going by the K&N site listing the same filter for the 451 (turbo) as was used in the 450 cdi.So why would the absense of a turbo use a completely different filter? Or is K&N's site wrong and that's not what the turbo 451 uses? - Steven

That's the wrong one. It won't work on a naturally aspirated 451. Our filter is a square flat element.edit: sorry about the redundancy, I just saw Steven's post above and replied to it without reading the other replies. Edited by denisjolicoeur

K&N had my car at their facilities in California while the DTH exhaust was being designed. Understand that they may consider a complete redesign of the system. The filter currently listed is a stock replacement unit.

I'm not sure I understand. The filter listed is round. It's a stock replacement for what? I'm confused.

Right. Except they also list the E-9257 for the 451, and SmartPassion apparently owns a 451. That's why I'm confused.

The K&N website is absolutely, positively WRONG.Here's an example of a performance enhancing replacement for the 451...post-2847-1209859545_thumb.jpgSmart (451) ITG Sports Performance Panel Air FilterITG Tri-Foam replacement panel air filter. Fits the all new (451) smart only! Suitable for ALL models (61, 71 & 84bhp) both European and US spec.Is everyone happy now!

Edited by lebikerboy

Paul & I have a handful of the itg 451 filters with us here in the US, if anyone wants one shipped from here ie no import taxes please order it through the online shop and then email us and we will ship it whilst we are here!

We go back to the UK next weekend though!

Kate

http://shop.wellsmart.co.uk

Kate,Ordering stuff from the UK I have yet to pay any form of import duties...hooray for the mother sod!Just reviewing my message and I've clearly has too much to drink!

Edited by lebikerboy

Yes,K&N part number E-9257 is for European applications only, so says their technical support.I've ordered the ITG filter from wellsmart, will report back when it arrives.Cheers ...

Edited by Snow_Dogs

I doubt the E-9257 is for the euro smarts either... same engine, surely same filter. The E9257 was for the 450. Someone from Europe that has a 451 with the cylindrical filter please correct me. - Steven

The E-9257 filter is for the 450...the 451 uses the flat panel filter. Doesn't everyone get the fact that the K&N website is wrong???