Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rubus

brake wear

15 posts in this topic

Hi There,My Smart has ~55,000 km and I am wondering when I can expect to have to replace the brakes? Cheers,Peter.

Really depends a lot on the type of driving you do and how you drive - lots of city miles and a heavy brake foot - you will be good to get 50k - if you do more highway and use the gas pedal and shifter more than the brake pedal - 70-80k should be about right. If you get the car serviced at the dealer they are supposed to write down the remaining % of pads on the service report. If you are a DIY type - you can see the thickness of the pads by droping a wheel off.Mind you my Jeep still has the same rear drum shoes at 240k - would have the same front pads if they hadn't made the rotor really soft and the pads really hard.Cheers,Cameron

Had my front pads done at 161 000 km. They lasted a LONG time! :)-Iain

But Duck - you are noted for never using your brakes - just the pedal beside them :lol: Cheers,Cameron

I changed mine at 46,000 kms, they were not too bad but went to some EBC Greens and new rotors too, still breaking them in, but looking forward to lower amounts of dust thats for sure.

I just changed the front brakes. Heard a noise in the front end. It was the brake sensor (metal plate) warning that the brakes are almost finished.Just under three years young and 108,900 Km on the car.Live in the country, so most are Highway km's.Only changed the pads as the rotors were in good shape.Super easy to do yourself for a total cost of $69.00 for Mercedes pads.

My front brakes were just replaced, I was told I had about 10% of the pads remaining.I've got just over 52,000 km on my car.

Brakes are going to last for as long as you make them - use them more, and they go quicker. I'd be checking anywhere after 40,000 kms closely if you are a city dweller.fasteddy is absolutely correct - the insides wear quicker, I think Mike T saw that too on his. Make sure you replace before they get too close...

Posted (edited) · Report post

My inner pads were detached (rusted off) the backing plate at 85,000 km. I otherwise might have got 100,000 km from that set.

Edited by Mike T

Make sure to check the right front inside pad.

my RH front brakes have just gone noisy. why is it the RH inside pad?R

Inside because that's the side the piston pushes on and RH side due to road camber/weight transfer during braking. Best to change them ASAP.....

my RH front brakes have just gone noisy. why is it the RH inside pad?R

You will have to ask an engineer from smart on this one. I had some thoughts; but didn't spend the time to confirm. I think it is due to heat. The curb side and being inside of the rotor provide minimal cooling. The extra heat would be a good reason to cause the pad adhesive de-lamination. Probably similar reason for the added wear. This is just an educated guess.

You will have to ask an engineer from smart on this one. I had some thoughts; but didn't spend the time to confirm. I think it is due to heat. The curb side and being inside of the rotor provide minimal cooling. The extra heat would be a good reason to cause the pad adhesive de-lamination. Probably similar reason for the added wear. This is just an educated guess.

just changed my pads and discs on my 05 cdi at only 52000 km. The RH inboard pad was delaminated. In hindsight I should have know it was this..the noise came on all of a sudden about 5 minutes after I had a semi panic stop to avoid someone backing on the the highway.R Edited by robm