Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ahem

There's a nail in my tire

10 posts in this topic

I've just noticed a nail in one of my tires. There's no leak, just a nail stuck all the way in. Should I get it taken out? Or just leave it, seeing as it's not leaking?

Although I'm not a professional in tires I would say that if you are riding around on a tire that has ANYTHING in it other than what is supposed to be there there is the possibility of tire failure or catastrophic tire failure which could lead to an automobile accident. It is my recommendation to either fix it yourself if you know how or take it to a tire shop and have the nail removed and hole plugged.You didn't indicate that you had any type of tire damage / wear warranty coverage commonly referred to road hazard warranty here in the States so I'll assume that you don't.

Greetings.The longer you drive with the nail in the tire, the more damage it will do to the structure of the tire. Even if it does not appear to be leaking now, it could work its way further in, or just move around enough to start losing air; usually at the worst possible time.If the nail is in or near the sidewall, it might mean that you have to replace the tire, take it to a tire shop and they can tell you. Should only cost about $25 to get it fixed otherwise. If they are after market tires, the shop you got them from might offer road hazard, and/or free flat repairs.Good luckMG

If it was me, I would go to the service station and have them put a plug in it, i'm not sure if they still do the "stick it in from the outside of the tire type plug" but if they do, I would do this as it is quick and cheap.Or you could take off the tire and do the "interior mushroom plug" (the best way) but you will need to rebalance it as well.Or you could remove the nail and use your suplied gell.Like I said, my choice would be the first cheap way.

Fix it dear Lizza -If it is a simple puncture in the tread most tire shops can have it fixed in less than 1/2 an hour. Worse case it will cost you a tire.If you don't repair it the worst case gets much worse - sudden loss of the nail and air - tire shreds - rim touches ground or you might loose control (not likely but could happen). Repair costs - new tire, new rim and possibly new underwear and seat cleaning. :o Your call.... :D Cheers,Cameron

my winters have nails in em...they don't leak, and i just plan on running them until they are worn out...tire shop can patch the tire on the inside, make it like new.

Fix it dear Lizza -Cheers,Cameron

Haha! This is exactly the song that popped into my head when I read the title. Too funny.

my winters have nails in em...they don't leak, and i just plan on running them until they are worn out...tire shop can patch the tire on the inside, make it like new.

YIKES! Get the nails out and the holes patched. The local Kal Tire shope here has fixed two leaks for me, one on a winter tire, and one on the stock conti's. Both were slow leaks and they fixed em with an internal patch, not the gooey plug. Both times were free, and the tires were NOT purchased from any Kal-Tire dealer. Your experience may vary other tire dealers, Kal-Tire or otherwise.I've never had tires rebalanced after a single patch. Pretty minor weight to one of those little patches. Plus, they buff off a bit of material first before applying the patch.

Canadian Tire has a plug kit for <$10 that includes 3 "gooey strings" that you can jam in the hole. I used one when I got a nail in my tire, which held fine. It's an easy DIY fix if you've got some time and patience, or they'll (Canadian Tire) fix it with a patch for around $30.-Iain