Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrcanoe

Bike carrier for 2008 Smart

17 posts in this topic

Okay, I've been stuffing my mountain bike inside the cab. I drive 40km from home to outskirts of Ottawa, park the Smart, jump on my bike and pedal downtown to work. There is barely room for me (I'm 6'1 and 245lbs) plus the bike, but whatever it takes... When I purchased the 2008 Passion I asked specifically if there was a bike rack available. Ogilvie Motors (Ottawa) assured me there would be a bike rack available in April. Now I find out that Mercedes is redesigning the basic carrier (on which the bike rack fits) to meet North American standards, and they don't know when it will arrive in Canada. (The bike rack is a separate component, and Ogilvie has those in stock.) I've been told there are bike racks and even trailer hitches available for Smarts, but these are all for pre-2008 models. I guess the 2008 re-design has altered the rear apron and bumpers. (To add insult to injury I just noticed the banner image at the top of the page now shows a 2008 model sporting a bike on its back -- must be the European model!) Anyone know of a way to get the mountain bike out of my cab and on to the back of the car? Cheers, Phil

Phil, check out rackattack.com and look at the Yamika racks. They have some rave reviews on these forums, and I'm likely going to pick one up later in the summer for an extended camping trip. As far as I know they're all perfectly compatible with the 2008 models (their website seems to say so). I suspect they will also end up being cheaper than the MB models.

Last I checked, Fast Eddy had the euro model for sale. Big bucks! I carried my skiis around in the cab since I got my car in Dec. They fit OK as long as I was alone. The Bike inside??? Yikes. I need a rack for my bike also. I may yet lash out for the euro specs one, but would be most interested in options.Peter

Yakima roof rack fits great! I drove my race bike 160KM (100 miles) at 130KPH (80 MPH) with no problems ( smart is more sensitive to cross winds) can't wait to put my tandem up on the roof! Yakima Q-towers with q-clips 116Javatrek

RackAttack (Toronto) said none of the Yakima racks fit a Smart, he suggested I wait for MB. Meanwhile another post (General Discussions, "Pulling a Trailer") promises a Class 1 hitch for 451 for $650cdn. Since MB has yet to announce when they will produce the North American re-designed basic carrier (on which the $85 bike rack sits), let alone when it ships to Canada, I think I might go with Les McDonald's, or SmartieParts' for $799cdn.

I got this information (Q-towers and Q-clips 116) direct from Yakima in Washington state....

Here is the first peek at the first hitch installed on a 451...mine! This features an optional carrier for two golf bags but can easily be used for installing a bike rack. Smart Car Universe is the manufacturer and sales outlet and will have these available very shortly. This is the protoype and it fits perfectly..solid as a rock and bolted directly to the frame.

Contact Les for details at his website here: http://www.smartcaruniverse.com/

post-5094-1210224047_thumb.jpg

For anyone reading this thread, here is the official word on the basic carriers (avail June 2008), from MB. Speaking with dealership in Ottawa, they said they expected price to be $350 + installation (+ taxes). BTW, here you can find the best picture of what we're getting:

http://mercedes-benz.medienbank.de/WEBODUS/0001B967.jpg

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:39 AM

To: phil.xxxxx@sympatico.ca

Subject: Reply from smart Canada Division

Please note the European version basic rack has to be redesigned for the North American market due to differences in certification between these two markets and the vehicle themselves. The bike holders and ski holders are readily available in Canada, however the basic rack is required in order to fasten the bike/ski holders properly to the vehicle. Subsequently, the factory has informed us that availability of the basic rack is scheduled for sometime in June 2008.

My apologies that we couldn't provide more favourable news at this time.

Best regards,

E. Somerville

CSI Co-ordinator

Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.

smart Canada Division

---------------------------

Cheers, Phil

Don't pay for installation! I don't know why some places would do that, it's got to be like the old rack where it comes on and off quickly with a quick-key.I only put on my rack, for example, when transporting my bike... otherwise it stays in the shed.-Iain

Can you get Hollywood Engineering racks in Canada? Hollywood Engineering

We're putting one on the trailer hitch of our Honda CRV tomorrow.

Except for the trailer hitch install on the smart (expensive?) the rack is about $200 for a two bike rack.

If your bikes are worth anything don't go cheap. I saw reviews on trunk racks where the bike fell off...

If you are looking for a good, light rack (which is needed for the tongue weight limit on the smart). This rack is the way to go:

SARIS THELMA

I love mine! It seems like it would not be strong enough, but it has been good to 90 MPH with nary a problem. I haven't used it on the smart yet though... need a hitch still.

there is a company called inno racks that carries a base rack system for the smart. you can put a bike rack or whatever on top of it afterwards. i don't think its on the website but you can call them. www.innoracks.com

For anyone reading this thread, here is the official word on the basic carriers (avail June 2008), from MB. Speaking with dealership in Ottawa, they said they expected price to be $350 + installation (+ taxes). BTW, here you can find the best picture of what we're getting: http://mercedes-benz.medienbank.de/WEBODUS/0001B967.jpg-----Original Message-----From: CAC@mercedes-benz.ca [mailto:CAC@mercedes-benz.ca] Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:39 AMTo: phil.xxxxx@sympatico.caSubject: Reply from smart Canada DivisionPlease note the European version basic rack has to be redesigned for the North American market due to differences in certification between these two markets and the vehicle themselves. The bike holders and ski holders are readily available in Canada, however the basic rack is required in order to fasten the bike/ski holders properly to the vehicle. Subsequently, the factory has informed us that availability of the basic rack is scheduled for sometime in June 2008.My apologies that we couldn't provide more favourable news at this time.Best regards,E. SomervilleCSI Co-ordinatorMercedes-Benz Canada Inc.smart Canada Division---------------------------Cheers, Phil

Man those are fugly bikes...

Anything but a classic Italian road bike is fuglé! Those things look like the "Mercedes" bikes.

HelloWe also recently installed a hitch on our SmartCar (Thanks SCU!). We put the Saris bike rack on it (see message above).2 light road bikes, all the triathlon stuff in the trunk, and quite an attraction in the parking lot when we got to the race.Not only the race was fun (Bridgetown triathlon, Nova Scotia), but we probably had the most fuel efficient way to get there!

post-2700-1217882193_thumb.jpg

:thumbup:Now if I could only talk my wife into getting a hitch for the smart...Nice rack btw, I just used mine this weekend too... 6 hour drive and nary a problem with it. So easy to mount and dismount, it is well worth the cost!

Edited by Overkll