Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
javatrek

Roof Rack (450/451)

14 posts in this topic

Here is a pic of my two babies....post-5754-1210349967_thumb.jpgYakima head office tells me that this set-up will work on the 451 (it obviously works on the 450)Javatrek

That is soooo cool! :thumbup: I would like to see you on the ferry. They are never sure where to put us with our trailer. So would like to see their faces when you pull up!

How high is the tallest point on that rig? Looks like you might be at 9'

Probably just a titch over 8" (my saddle is 39" from the ground). If your concern is the overheight ferry charge, have no fear: in less than 2 minutes the bike can be laying across the roof for the crossing and back up in 2 minutes again!

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the system, how much for the basic rack?It does look wonderful

About $400.00 if you have to start from scratch ( I already had the Q-towers and crossbars, just needed to change the Q-clips) + the specific rack you need. If this is for a bike get one with the fork clamp instead of the frame clamp. I have both and the frame clamp allows the front end of the bike to flutter somewhat in the tray causing a very noticeable vibration in the smart. I just did 100 KM with our tandem on the roof with a fork clamp rack and we could not tell it was there (except for the wind noise).

Do you know what parts are required? Was any drilling involved?

About $400.00 if you have to start from scratch ( I already had the Q-towers and crossbars, just needed to change the Q-clips) + the specific rack you need. If this is for a bike get one with the fork clamp instead of the frame clamp. I have both and the frame clamp allows the front end of the bike to flutter somewhat in the tray causing a very noticeable vibration in the smart. I just did 100 KM with our tandem on the roof with a fork clamp rack and we could not tell it was there (except for the wind noise).

The parts required for the basic roof rack are: 4- Q-towers, 4- Q-116 clips, 2 cross bars ( 48" or 120 CM ). The bike rack in the picture a the top of this topic is a Yakima Sidewinder (tandem specific).

Javatrek,Snowboard season is approaching and I was thinking of buying a Yakima roof rack for my 450. Since your rack setup has only been validated by Yakima for the 451, I was wondering if the "fit" was good for your 450 and if you had experienced any problems with it? Thank you.

On 11/13/2008 at 9:12 PM, Guest charles109 said:

Javatrek,Snowboard season is approaching and I was thinking of buying a Yakima roof rack for my 450. Since your rack setup has only been validated by Yakima for the 451, I was wondering if the "fit" was good for your 450 and if you had experienced any problems with it? Thank you.

Doesn't look like anyone cared to comment here? That's odd!

What’s to comment?  Guest Charles asked a question 6 months after javatrek had posted on the topic.  If you have a question on an old thread sending a personal message is more likely to get a response.  I know I don’t check all the forums I belong to regularly.

That thread was from 2008 - 14 years ago!

2 people like this