Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
a2jack

DE Dion tube rust?

21 posts in this topic

Any one having any problems with salt/crap getting in the DD tubes in winter?

Do you block them up in the winter? Do you clean them ? Thanks A2Jack.

Posted Image

It'd be better to leave them open; you'd never get a hermetic seal. You could spray the inside with Waxoyl or similar product. Mine look OK after 3.5 years.

Like deezle I have muffler extensions on mine from Princess Auto. Only $15 and I've had more then one person comment "Oh duel exaust aye".Retired RCAF

Like deezle I have muffler extensions on mine from Princess Auto. Only $15 and I've had more then one person comment "Oh duel exaust aye".Retired RCAF

Do you have any pictures to share? I'd really like to see what you've done!Bil :sun:

A good shot of rubberized undercoating up there works wonders.Cheers,Cameron

A good shot of rubberized undercoating up there works wonders.

Giggity-giggity-giggity :yikes:

Greetings:I'm not sure if shooting rubberized undercoating into the tube is such a good idea. You risk trapping dirt and rust under a coat of something that can't be easily removed, a perfect formula for causing a real problem. I think a shot of Krown rustproofing (available at Home Hardware and in a slightly better formulation at Krown dealers) would give good protection, and allow the possibility of removal and re-application if necessary. I've been applying it to the leading edge of the tridion welds I can find around the car when panel removal allows access. This is the kind of place that dirt settles, water collects, and rust begins. I also spray it onto a rag and wipe the outside of the rear brake drums and mating surfaces when changing the wheels. It has prevented the rust from starting even as my car enters the last year of warranty. Toronto uses lots of salt. Very effective.Ian

Out here - rust is not a big issue - I should have qualified the comment - "when new" - yep rust proofing will work too - it is basically a waxy oil.Cheers,Cameron

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's a look at the leading edge of the DD tube. Note the Hole, there may even be two in front.

Posted Image

Edited by a2jack

Yep the 450 has them as well - gee what an ideal place to put a cap plug - or wiring - hee hee......Cheers,Cameron

Posted (edited) · Report post

Who will be the first to put neons inside a De Dion tube? ;)

Edited by Mike T

Oh man! Now I have to measure the tube diameter tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Hee Hee Hee - okay not neon but LED - reminds me - have to install them - just don't be behind me with out sun glasses when I stop.Cheers,Cameron

POR-15 is great stuff for fixing parts like that. It is a 'paint over rust' formula that will bond light rust and encapsulate the rust and penetrate to the good metal. Like all coatings best results are obtained by following manufacturers directions which in this case includes degreasing and an acid wash. When you are done the coating is tough as nails. Don't get it on your skin though - only way to get it off is for it to wear off. The other thing is that it is not UV resistant - anything exposed to the sun needs to be top coated. http://www.por15canada.com/

POR15 works real well but you have to get the surface relatively clean and dry. Basically it is an epoxy type coating - I've used it on gas tanks to seal up rust pinholes and seal seams.You would have a challenge though in getting it into the tube - you can thin it to spray but it cuts down on the effectiveness - getting in into the back side of the tube or even acid etching etc. would be a challenge.Lordco sells it out here if you don't want to mail order.A good shot up the old kazoo of the tube with a pressure washer would probably be just as effective - the metal is fairly thick and should not be and issue unless you live in the salt belt areas.Cheers,Cameron

Sorry Bil you asked for this on 10 May and I'm just getting around to seeing it now.Retired RCAF

post-731-1211742315_thumb.jpg

Sorry Bil you asked for this on 10 May and I'm just getting around to seeing it now.

Retired RCAF

Hey... those are different! Thanks for taking the trouble to make a picture :thumbup:

Bil :sun:

you can thin it to spray but it cuts down on the effectiveness

safety note - this is bad stuff to inhale. If you spray you need a respirator - not just a mask. I've been told that it is thin enough that a garden sprayer can be used without thinning it. From the flow pattern when brushing it I could believe that.But what the heck - invite the local high school rugby team over, dump in a half pint of por115 and then just have them pick up the car and roll it around a bit :D