Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Exciting New Products!

59 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Just wanted to show you a couple new items SmartieParts.com is carrying effective immediately:

First off, I'm please to announce SmartieParts is authorized to resell the DieselTuning DigiCR performance module that increases your horsepower and torque more easily than any other method! I personally tested this product in the past and I was happy with the ability to remove it if you have to take your car in for service (no affect on warranty!). They cost around the same amount or less than the remaps, offer similar performance gains (slightly less in my experience), but can VERY easily be installed and removed by the user.

Posted Image

Next up - drum roll please - a custom designed push button starter for the smart fortwo!! I personally can't wait to get my hands on one! It replaces any need for using your key (although you still need your keyfob remote for locking/unlocking the doors and disabling the immobilizer). I know people are gonna say, "yeah but now they can steal my car" but really it adds no more risk in that regard. None at all - since your car requires the remote for disabling the immobilizer, a thief would still need to either have your remote (then they have the key) or they need to bypass the immobilizer, which is a helluva lot harder than connecting two wires to bypass your key! :)

Posted Image

The DigiCR is warehoused in Canada, so even though stock shows zero - its quick to get! The pushbutton starter has been ordered (I'm bringing in 5 initially) and should be on its way soon.

That's all for now!

- Steven

$269 and taxes and shipping! I'll need you to be a weeee bit patient though as they JUST finished producing the first batch and they are aparantly a hot seller in Europe so it might be a bit till we see them. I'm estimating mid to late October.

- Steven

Can you explain a bit more about the starter?

Does it replace the key hole?

If it does how can you just power up the auxillary so as to close windows etc?

S

Hi Sean,

Yes - it goes where your key hole is now, replacing that entire glow-in-the-dark plastic thingy with this nice shiny aluminum one!

I translated all the German instructions quickly just so I knew what i was getting into...I didn't write it down, but I know there is a procedure for turning it to auxiliary. To start the car, you hold the button for 1.5 seconds and to stop it you hold it for 0.5 seconds (or the other way round)... so it seems to me that you press and release quicker than 0/1.5 seconds for the auxiliary power. I can try to find the exact procedure again.

But!!! (and here's a "do you want fries with that" upsell if I ever saw one) To solve that particular problem, you should get the ignition-free window mod anyway! By far the best mod for the money! I had to take mine out to take some measurements and didn't get around to putting it back in, and BOY do you miss it once you've had it! It is so convenient to not have to deal with that stupid key just to close/open your windows.

Again, I want to stress that none of this really increases a thieve's ability to get in your car, or to start it. They still need the remote to gain access. if they really want in, a rock works best and if they really want to steal the car they either really know what they are doing (and you won't stop them) or they are going to pick it up and walk away with it :)

- Steven

Here's the translated instructions:

Operation

Normal operation:

Engine start:

• Service enterprise:

Only ignition e.g. for service work in the workshop (old key position 1):

• Starting protection:

Switch on:

So basically, I had it right. Hold it down and it starts... quickly press it and you get the "1". Added bonus!! Hold it down for 20s and you get a 2nd immobilizer! Only problem is - 20s is quite a long time. Still - added protection is good.

- Steven

Oh I'm tempted! That way I could pull the killer key out of the fob and not have that instant castration device in my pocket all the time... :fury3:

I've been thinking of getting a larger key cut and removing the one in the fob... This could be good too. I'd want a report from a hands on person.

ALSO, does it come in something other then Silver??? I want black! (Or carbon fiber coloured)

Black would be doable since it is aluminum you can get it "dipped" (I don't know the exact term - but it is something that used to be very popular with interior aluminum parts) or possibly even anodized ($$). But that would have to be something done here because it only comes in silver (well... aluminum, not silver :) ) from the supplier.

Oh, one note about the removal of the killer key - you might still want it in the event your battery dies so you can at least gain entry to the car (via the back keyhole). Although you could store under the car somewhere - even if someone found it they couldn't take your car without the remote.

- Steven.

Ps. Got news from MDC that there will be a 2-week delay in shipping this part. European weeks always seem to be longer than Canadian ones though :)

Ahh. I thought of the downside that's been bugging me...

The Gearlock feature must be disabled for ths mod to work. So someone could get in and ROLL your car away. :(

(In my hometown there was a loser that did this to 20+ cars... Including a car that didn't have insurance as it was in someones driveway. They rolled it down a hill and into a house... The owner of the car lost his house since he had to pay for the other house and law suit. :()

That loser found 20+ cars that had their gear lock disabled???

How do you know the gearlock has to be disabled (I'm not saying you're wrong - just haven't seen that)?

- Steven

Steve...

When you press for 1.5 seconds and the LED goes from red orange to green...

Is it cycling the glow plugs and that's what the change to orange means?

Or do you have to tap the button once and then hold down for 1.5 seconds?

That is a very cool mod btw...

Eddie

I was wondering the exact same thing Eddie :)

I imagine in the west coast or in the summer, you can just press it and hold it down. In the colder weather, you probably have to tap then hold. Although perhaps that is what it is doing as it cycles... I'm not sure.

It says 1.5s - is that enough time for cold winter starts? I doubt it. Its probably the same as using the key - it is up to the driver to put it into position "1" long enough for the light to go out before going to position "2". This is probably (again, I'm not sure) the case with this mod as well - only the method for getting to 1 and 2 change.

- Steven

That loser found 20+ cars that had their gear lock disabled???

That I have no idea. I was a only like 13 at the time. But manual trucks and whatnot never had steering locks back then...

How do you know the gearlock has to be disabled (I'm not saying you're wrong - just haven't seen that)?

Common sense... I you turn the key half way to 1 you'll feel the gear lock disable. Then you can move the gears freely.

My guess is that when you install the button you must set that lock to a spot. I'd also bet that key even comes with some sort of holder to HOLD that gearlock in the unlocked position.

Oh man, if that push-button starter was hard anosized it'd be the sexiest thing in the world. Hard anodize comes out as a deep/rich grey. We used to hard anodize the linkage arms of our robots at the last place I worked, it was pimp.

-Iain

Duck,

Do you still have access to this equipment?

While I'm not purchasing a push-button starter...

There might be some people on the board who probably are looking for a way to get it anodized... It might even match the interiors of those with the brushed aluminum trim...

Where can someone get something like this done?

I've seen a black coating that looks great on some higher end watches... IIRC it is called positive vapour deposition... That too would look good for someone with black or carbon fibre interior trim...

It sucks in some ways that I cannot afford to mod my car like mad... However, if I were to start... Like Justin says, I'd NEVER stop... And I can get carried away VERY fast... ;)

Eddie

Is this where I'm supposed to play drug dealer and offer you something REAL cheap to get you hooked? lol

- Steven

Is this where I'm supposed to play drug dealer and offer you something REAL cheap to get you hooked? lol

- Steven

:biglaugh:

Wow, this looks like a really cool idea. I'm lost on this gear lock conversation...

I would imagine that there would be no worries with the glowplugs since just pusing quickly to get the to position 1 is all you need and the car computer figures out how long to glow the plugs :)

Steven, thanks for the CD Deck finishing plate for my smart, it came in a week or two ago and I got around to installing it today and it looks great. Now my stereo looks complete.

Your very welcome! I still haven't determined exactly how the gear lock thing works either. I see what TFM means - but I can't confirm or deny it at this stage. Under normal circumstances (that is - when criminals aren't breaking into your car and rolling them down hills just for fun) the worst-case-scenario would be you would HAVE to remember to put your parking brake on when you park, which you should be doing anyways.

I'll find out more sooner or later :)

- Steven

Oh man! I just thought of something that would rock so much!

Imagine a FINGERPRINT READER instead of the button! Oh man that would rock...

Then it could automatically enable/disable the gear lock since it's protected...

Or a little keypad for a password. That would be secure too and not require you programing each friends thumbs...

Ok I am almost hooked on that performance module so I need to know more about it, even tho you put probably most of it here already, and yes offering it like a drug dealer would work for me but I have already ordered from your store so I guess the first time offer get em hooked thing is out of the question,,,, :biglaugh:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More