Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Attention yellow 451 owners:

10 posts in this topic

If you have a yellow 451 and love the colour, consider stocking up on a couple of spare front and rear fenders, or those panels that you think are the most likely to be damaged over the years, because smart will likely only make replacement yellow panels for a very short time after the 2009 model year changeover.

The yellow panels are coloured through, and are therefore handy for resisting minor impact damage.

Not too long (maybe one year?) after the 2009 cars come on-line, smart will probably only sell flat black panels to yellow car owners, panels that need to be painted yellow.

Don't let the dealers reassure you that yellow panels will always be availabe as a spare part, they won't.

A good number of 450 owners were caught out by this, so you have been warned. The ONLY 450 panel colours now available from smart warehouses are flat black, and this occured only 6 months after 450 production ended.

What body panels people have had to replace on the 450 over the years? As a new owner of 451 in bright yellow & black, I'd like to stock up on whichever panels people have had to replace most often :D Cheers, Phil.

I think the most vulnerable ones are the 4 fenders, followed by the front centre and rear centre panels. I now have 4 spare fenders in stream green.

Maybe Yellow wasn't selling well enough and people didn't like the orangeness of the Red. So they are making the Red a 'base' colour without metallic so more people can get the colour of the car they want and cheaper. And replace the yellow with a grey that was probably quite popular with the 450.Who knows with Smart.They should bring back the custom panels. I would freak if I could get Numeric Blue on my new one !

On the recent tour, Sabine said that the bright colours are rarely chosen in Europe, but more frequently chosen by North Americans, which she appreciated. I guess there aren't enough of us to maintain the yellow :(

Bad, Bad, news. But, at least when our little YELLOW cars come up for auction at BJ, they will note that these were the last of the true "Mellow Yellows". :P A2Jack

Thanks for the heads-up. This is unfortunate as one of the things that attracted me to purchasing a yellow passion coupe was the fact it was one on the three molded in colors and was not painted (the other two being white and black). Time will tell if I would need to just change the color in the future. I wish numeric blue was available for the 451 as I think it looks cool. :o

This is only a small sample of US owners compiled from the SCoA Forums. But it shows Yellow/Black as the most popular color.

Color(tridion color: B/S)

Yellow 43 (34/10)

Blue 40 (18/22)

Red 26 (18/8)

White 26 (14/12)

Silver 22 (16/6)

Black 20 (13/7)