Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

Glad we are back! Show some support!

39 posts in this topic

Even if you have your own server sitting in your living room, stuff like this is going to happen -- the only difference is YOU can get to it faster. But having a server offsite means you pay someone else to touch it and interface with it in situations like that and you're at their mercy.

And seriously -- if you can't survive 24 hours (even 48 hours) without a hobbyist's website and feel the need to malign the volunteers and the website, then you've got some serious problems.

I'd sooner see donations go into a great chat program than a server box in my/Spinner/MikeT's living room. Other than the odd hiccup, the site runs fine and we've tonnes of bandwidth and storage.

My two cents.

Dean do we need a vote? I personally would be willing to donate to the cause to help get a secure chat program.

Well, first lets find what we want and then we can see what we have to do to get it. I know there are people just dying to advertise on the site and that could pull in the cash over a year to buy a nice chat system...

Let us know your wishes Terrific Forum Master!

:blush: Don't go saying stuff like that. I just want to be a normal member like everyone else.

We CAN open up the club paypal account to accept donations but until we know what we want, should we be hording cash? I don't know...

If you are hot to trot to help out maybe you could take on a job of finding out what our members want. A nice 20 questions type thing and see where people want the club to go... I'm just thinking out loud.

All I know right now is I'm so fried I don't want to think for a bit... :lookaround: But we have MANY wonderful mods/admins helping out here to ensure that this is the best club ever! :clapping:

what do I care, I barely post on this site anyway :)

But seriously though... fundraising can be done if it is necessary. We shouldn't blow this out of proportion though... attacks happen regardless of what you do. A dedicated server is often EASIER to bring to its knees because the people running them don't necessarily know what they are doing. With a virtual/shared/managed server you get (hopefully) professionals on the other end doing what they do to minimize problems and provide premium connectivity.

As for the chat - if I recall, it was a test thing anyway to see if it was actually wanted... did we figure that out? If not, then perhaps a vote is in order! If only very few people used it, is it worth the expense to bring it back?

- Steven

Thanks, Spinner. I don't know who pissed in who's cornflakes, but people speaking out of their asses is just so infantile. *sigh*

Now we've taken on a political tone! :snooty:

Just think of that Cindy Laupar song. "Smarties just wanna have fun!" ;)

I missed this site for the short time it was off and what mostly surprised me was that even tho I could not get on the chat here which is where I have been hanging out I never did try the chat on the other site, Funny because I just realized that and I love chat, it is where I get to know evwryone and find the most instant info. To me it is like going out to the local club right here in my onw home,,,, I sure hope we will be getting a new one soon. Let me know where to send a cheque.

Glad we are back :beerchug:

Thanks for all that you do TFM :ballons:

so far thats 4 or 5 people willing to donate! and i could maybe squeese in a few bucks too... since I'mm the one who recruited people to chat a lot of the time.

I started a poll to see who wants a chat and who doesn't... so in a few days we'll see how it goes and waht to do next :)

Yeah - a server in some dedicated building that has it's own power and a good internet connection or somebodies basement... I can see which would be the better idea.

That sigma chat looks better than the last one.

I need CHAT, I went to chat aholics anonomonomouse today and they say I am in really bad shape........They told me to get a fix soon or I was not going to make it....