Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deezle

Honda to Launch New Hybrid Model!

91 posts in this topic

I flew into Comox tonight and on the way through town spotted a new Insigth at the Honda dealer. What a hot looking car. Dealer was closed but I was not alone gawking at it! The red paint is VERY nice! Forgot to look at which package it had but it was 28k.

It doesn't have TCS or VSA either.

VSA == ?I tink thats stability control right? Either way, no thanks. More to go wrong. I found when i had traction control, i relied on it. If i don't have it, i drive more carefully.

Well, in reality you're not supposed to even know the VSA/ESP/ESC/etc. is doing its job. Relying on it is a smart fortwo thing, but is unusual with other cars. ESC is one of the biggest advances in vehicle safety since radial tires; insurers know it, too.

One other note on the HCHII: the car surges in some circumstances at steady speed. Clearly it's the CVT "hunting" for the correct pulley position. It is extremely annoying. I wonder if the new Insight will also suffer from that problem.

We have one as a staff car at work. Its lifetime FE is 5.77 L/100 km, notwithstanding the fact that NRCAN says it should only do as badly as 4.7 L/100 km in the worst part of the official cycle (and 4.5 overall). The average of all HCHII cars on spritmonitor is 5.72 L/100 km so ours is not a "bad" one. That would be like the smart cdi spritmonitor average being 5.55 overall (it's about 4.12 L/100 km).

You know that with the exception of the smart cdi most vehicles will never reach their NRCAN estimates. But they will do so with the updated EPA estimates.

Earlier you said the rear headroom was extremely poor (your emphasis) on the new Insight. That is not true. Maybe you would like the Fit better because its roof line isn't designed for aerodynamics. I don't know why it bugs you so much because it's very unlikely you would let yourself sit in the rear seats of your own cars. Yes, the Insight's rear tapers inward, but there are tonnes of other cars that are worse. Rear seats are for smaller people.

The Civic Hybrid is the best of the hybrids. Its interior is better than anything Toyota can produce in a vehicle for $40,000 or less. It is an excellent cruiser -- not suitable for sport driving -- and does as well as a Prius without the pretence.

Edited by mod for spring cleaning.

Edited by deezle

Rear seats are for smaller people.

Unless, of course, you ever try to give your friends a ride and they're all 6'+, but yeah, that like never happens in real life because people should only be driving their wife and 2.5 children around right? :lol:

Rear seats are for smaller people, or how about no people? Hey! Why not just buy a smart and be ahead of the ''pack''!!

You know that with the exception of the smart cdi most vehicles will never reach their NRCAN estimates. But they will do so with the updated EPA estimates.

The facts posted by many HCHII and smart cdi users - yourself included - speak for themselves.

Earlier you said the rear headroom was extremely poor (your emphasis) on the new Insight. That is not true. I don't know why it bugs you so much because it's very unlikely you would let yourself sit in the rear seats of your own cars.

Two of my children drive and when they do, I usually sit in the back of our cars (405 previously, and now, B 200). Funny how an abstraction like a family can bring reality in focus!

Rear seats are for smaller people.

In a HCHII or Insight, you are correct.

Edited by mod for spring cleaning.

Edited by deezle

Well we had been toying with the idea of replacing our van with something smaller for everyday and then finding another suitable vehicle we could use part of the year to tow our trailer out camping. Having seen the new insight in passing and loved the look we went to the Honda dealer today to take a closer look. It was an EX with the nav system and upgraded sound etc.The dash looks intimidating at first but is easily tuned to the information you are interested in. The "training" ability of the power management to help you learn the most efficient way to drive is interesting and makes quite basic and easy to know how you are doing by glancing at the speed read out. If the background glow is blue...you have some work to do..if it glows green you are driving for efficiency. I am neither a short...nor a small guy. I have bypassed Hondas in the past because of driver room. The Insight with the seat back and slightly inclined gave me a comfortable driving position and my head was not resting on the roof. With the seat full back my Wife sat in the back seat and while she didnt have much space she could sit back there without her knees in the seatback or bumping her head. It will fit our 6 and 9 year olds just fine.I have never driven a CVT vehicle before and I was suprised how seamless everything was as we accelerated. The power transitions were also seamless as the car switched off at a stop and resumed when the brake was released. The electric drive kicks in as a boost during accelerations or uphill loads and again was about the same as the feeling of a regular transmission dropping out of overdrive.From the outside the engine was barely noticeable and with the hood up was marginally louder. Seemed to have a lot of valve noise but may be because it was a new engine. Uses 0W20 oil. Not sure if regular or synthetic. The maintenance management system is similar to the smart as far as extending or shortening intervals depending on how its driven. When the oil life gets to 10% the comuter will tell you which type of service it needs. A service = oil change = $48 B service = oil and a few other items = 180 bucks. So by extending services out past the usual regimented 8000km or whatever you could save more money and save more oil, etc depending on your swing of things.That all said if I can figure out what to do about camping etc I would seriously consider buying one. The Tango Red is hot! The Blue is very bright and different than you usually see on a Honda.edited for clarity.

Edited by I M SMRT

Make sure it can tow. The cvt may not be too happy about this.Our Escape hybrid only uses the electric motor when backing up. They do not recommend towing at all. Of course, the Honda system may be completely different.Ian

Good review, Sean. I may be wrong, but I don't think any hybrid cars are suitable for pulling even small trailers. Something like a Jetta diesel might be better for that. Perhaps a roof-rack for your light-weight camping stuff would work? Or Motel 6. :) I sat in an Insight today and was surprised that my head didn't touch the roof in the front or backseats. I'm 6'2", but have longer legs rather than a long torso. The me-behind-me test definitely didn't work for legroom, and I had much difficulty getting in and out of the rear seat. The interior finish seemed quite chintzy ---- but I guess that's the future for mainstream cars to be competitive.

Does it come in silver like the rest of the Honda's? :D;) Now if they would just deliver on the high efficiency turbo diesel they promised several years ago.Cheers,Cameron

Just to clarify, I would have no intention of towing with it. It would replace our current "tow" Mazda MPV. I would then find something else to use during camping season.Oh and YES they come in silver and that God awfully boring "polished metal" grey...and I have NO intention of getting rid of my smart! I still love it!

Edited by I M SMRT