Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deezle

Honda to Launch New Hybrid Model!

91 posts in this topic

Prius was way over-priced since day one. Its interior is nasty and inferior to the Insight. As a hybrid the Prius excelled, but as a car it was mediocre.

I have read that the interior of the new Insight uses cheaper-looking materials than the Prius.Has anybody heard the actual price of the Insight in Canada?

I sat in one optimistically at the Auto Show with 3 of my buddies; sadly, none of us could fit in it. Just like the FIT, Honda's built a car that one again can't seat someone over 6' tall. Why?!-Iain

I sat in one optimistically at the Auto Show with 3 of my buddies; sadly, none of us could fit in it. Just like the FIT, Honda's built a car that one again can't seat someone over 6' tall. Why?!-Iain

How is it that the smart can seat someone 6'8" (I did it once, poor guy had a hard time getting out. Mind you he's 80), and the insight, which is larger in all dimensions can't fit someone 6' tall? I still want to go try it, but this is disheartening news. I think i'm about the same height as you Duck, so if you don't fit, then i wont either.The Insight is listed for sale at $23,000 ish i believe, however, the new prius is to start at $21,000 US, and probably around $25000 CDN. which is hopeful! -Steve

At these prices, I don't think it makes sense to buy one of these for economic reasons. Some of us don't buy for economic reasons.We didn't buy our Escape hybrid because it made sense. But it was fun to drive and especially interesting to listen to. I like to turn off the stereo and listen to it when driving around the city. It whirrs and clicks - little fans go on and off - it makes sighing noises after shutting down.It has great hvac systems, comfortable seats, and worked just fine all winter in many different conditions. Most of it is even made in the USA. Compared to the smart, the first year and a half have been a breeze - the doors shut when closed, requires minimal servicing, no complaints. Not a single thing has needed an adjustment.We'll never recover the extra cost although it does seem to be quite economical compared to what it replaced. I think more hybrid Escapes would be sold, but supply seems to be the problem. Honda is having supply problems with their new car in their home market. A lot of people there seem to want the car, even though it costs much more than a normal car.I'm not sure why Honda doesn't make the cars for people over 6' - they are generally smaller than north americans. I remember when they underestimated the braking strength of north americans when they introduced their ALB system in the Accord - testors broke the brake pedal off the mount. My only complaint is that they seem to paint just about every car silver. Dull, dull, dull.Ian

At these prices, I don't think it makes sense to buy one of these for economic reasons. Some of us don't buy for economic reasons.We didn't buy our Escape hybrid because it made sense. But it was fun to drive and especially interesting to listen to. I like to turn off the stereo and listen to it when driving around the city. It whirrs and clicks - little fans go on and off - it makes sighing noises after shutting down.It has great hvac systems, comfortable seats, and worked just fine all winter in many different conditions. Most of it is even made in the USA. Compared to the smart, the first year and a half have been a breeze - the doors shut when closed, requires minimal servicing, no complaints. Not a single thing has needed an adjustment.We'll never recover the extra cost although it does seem to be quite economical compared to what it replaced. I think more hybrid Escapes would be sold, but supply seems to be the problem. Honda is having supply problems with their new car in their home market. A lot of people there seem to want the car, even though it costs much more than a normal car.I'm not sure why Honda doesn't make the cars for people over 6' - they are generally smaller than north americans. I remember when they underestimated the braking strength of north americans when they introduced their ALB system in the Accord - testors broke the brake pedal off the mount. My only complaint is that they seem to paint just about every car silver. Dull, dull, dull.Ian

if compared to a similarly sized and comparably optioned subcompact, it's not much more money. A new cobalt reasonably optioned is still $22k. An insight would be $23k, and only be missing alloys and a sunroof

You need to factor in the depreciation savings as well as the fuel savings. The current generation Prius (and Civic hybrid) are holding their values remarkably well. Depreciation is a huge unseen cost of car ownership.

I went and saw the insight today. I'm please to say... I FIT! However, there is still no way it's an economical car to drive as compared the car i own now though. Kudos to honda for putting out an excellent vehicle however.-Steve

It's not economical?? Every lead-footed car magazine reviewer who has driven it (Road & Track, Motor Trend, AutoWeek) has said that with even only modest eco-driving they were able to easily beat the EPA ratings by a fair margin -- (60 mpg US vs. 42 mpg US).

Perhaps you meant not economical for you because it would mean buying a new car? In that case, absolutely.

It's not economical?? Every lead-footed car magazine reviewer who has driven it (Road & Track, Motor Trend, AutoWeek) has said that with even only modest eco-driving they were able to easily beat the EPA ratings by a fair margin -- (60 mpg US vs. 42 mpg US).

Perhaps you meant not economical for you because it would mean buying a new car? In that case, absolutely.

Yes, sorry, that's exactly what i meant. I have no doubt i could pull 70 MPG in it, consistantly. However, it would mean making payments on a $23000 car instead of a $11000 that i already own.

Yeah, the math is fairly simple; a $2000 1996 Crown Vic is "more economical" than a 2010 Honda Insight, even at last year's gas prices.

Oh ok! I was looking at them on the Honda website and did the "build". It would only give me a lease option at the end no purchase. The toota gave me info on both lease and purchase side by side.I assumed from the info the website gave me that they are leased only. Probably some sick perverse way of forcing me into a dealership to listen to blah blah blah until I run away. :P

Yeah, the math is fairly simple; a $2000 1996 Crown Vic is "more economical" than a 2010 Honda Insight, even at last year's gas prices.

Most often, the cheapest car to drive is the one you own. When i was in university, i almost bought an old boat of a Cadillac because it was cheap, and low mileage. Even if the gas consumption was poor, it would take a LOT Of miles before it mattered.

Oh ok! I was looking at them on the Honda website and did the "build". It would only give me a lease option at the end no purchase. The toota gave me info on both lease and purchase side by side.I assumed from the info the website gave me that they are leased only. Probably some sick perverse way of forcing me into a dealership to listen to blah blah blah until I run away. :P

The website and everything is all way behind the real release. The dealership didn't even have brochures. One thing i will say? I'd consider giving someone a straight up trade for an original insight for my cobalt. :P

What's neat about the new Insight is, though a manual transmission is no longer available, Honda seems to have incorporated quite a few of the "hacks" that Wayne Gerdes and his friends developed for the original Insight.

What's neat about the new Insight is, though a manual transmission is no longer available, Honda seems to have incorporated quite a few of the "hacks" that Wayne Gerdes and his friends developed for the original Insight.

Care to elaborate on that? <intrigued>

For optimizing IMA attributes, the Insight's driver gets a really neat tripart Ecological Drive Assist: an ECON button, a real-time Guidance Function and, for the gamer in all of us, a Scoring Function.The ECON button optimizes engine, CVT, IMA assist and regenerative braking, air conditioning and even cruise control. For instance, in ECON mode those little fuel-wasting dithers of your accelerator foot are smoothed out. IMA's Start/Stop feature is employed somewhat more actively. By contrast, cruise control reaches its ECON set speed somewhat less aggressively.The real-time Guidance Function is simple but effective: an illuminated arc backing up the speedometer's digital readout. It changes color from deep blue (fuel-guzzling) to light blue (better) to a fuel-efficient green. There's also a somewhat less prominent but equally real-time Multi-information Display of bar graphs showing the degree of IMA boost and regen.The Scoring Function is good fun. It tracks current driving practice, updating approximately every 2000 meters, as well as giving feedback of cumulative patterns. An Eco Guide accumulates little leaf symbols as you drive more environmentally responsibly. When you turn off the ignition, it rates your Eco Score and Lifetime results.I asked about dual settings for driving partners, but Honda felt this might make for more marital discord than it's worth.Do these gizmos work? The Insight's EPA City/Hwy numbers are 40/43 mpg, respectively. I posted 54.9 mpg on my driving stint. And, later, on a specially devised suburban tour, fully half of our journalist contingent saw results better than 60 mpg, with the best of them in the 70s. Impressive indeed.

An important one is the "hack" that smooths the response from the throttle position sensor that enables the little gas engine to run ultra-lean (<1:22 FAR) more consistently.

An important one is the "hack" that smooths the response from the throttle position sensor that enables the little gas engine to run ultra-lean (<1:22 FAR) more consistently.

Yes, the Econ mode that allows trees to grow on your dash. Really hippy of them.I admit i'm infatuated with the car. I'm somewhat concerned about it's reliability though. The original insight seems to have had a number of issues, and the owners complain that most parts are very expensive. A $2000 repair wipes out a lot of mileage gains.-Steve

'A $2000.00 repair wipes out a lot of milage gains....' Are you sure your NOT talking about Smart cars?

'A $2000.00 repair wipes out a lot of milage gains....' Are you sure your NOT talking about Smart cars?

I'm reasonably sure it still applies regardless of the car. My point being that, for a high mileage driver like myself, sure fuel consumption is important. But buying an unreliable car that isn't going to make it to 200k without major repairs is worse for the wallet then a car that gets 5 MPG less on the highway. Either way, you never know for sure what the best course of action is, and you just have to make the best decision with the information you have available.

Sometimes, it's not only about the wallet... ;)

For Sure. And it's why i'll probably end up managing to snag an insight at some point. Either that or a 2010 Prius assuming I fit in that. The hypermiler in me won't allow anything else. ... Or alternatively, if they bring the diesel smart back, i'll snap one up in a heartbeat.

-Steve

I'm not sure if this is automotive philosophy class, or a thread about the Insight?In any event, I cannot fit in the back of an Insight, I thought it was terrible....They should release a hybrid Fit... now there's a car.