Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nextourer

451 - CEL came on last night

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hmm... only 800kms in and the CEL came on last night. I didn't notice anything peculiar. No weird engine noises, it does have a burnt oil smell but I think someone said that was normal. The tank had 1 bar left, topped it up this morning and the CEL is still there.Appointment made for Friday morning.In the meantime, anybody have any ideas? Something loose maybe?Edit: Also, as you can see, I finally have a reading from Spritmonitor as it's my second tank. I pumped 29.161 litres.... in a 33 litre tank... Isn't there a 5 litre countdown?

Edited by Nextourer

Hmm... only 800kms in and the CEL came on last night...

Same thing append to me last night. With only 1900kms. The car runs fine! I'll get an appointment. Let us know what was the problem, I'll do the same.

I had to think about this for 3 minutes or so until I figured out it meant "Check Engine Light". lol-Iain

Mine starts at 3.5LAlso... my check engine light also came on (around 3000km I think) a couple of weeks ago. It was a valve in the secondary air injection system (maybe the secondary air cross over valve as mentioned above). It was an easy swap for the shop to do. The tech told me there was no problem to drive my car while waiting for the part... no engine damage, fuel economy not affected etc. I actually got 5.18L/100km on the highway with the CEL on, so it couldn't have been to bad. But it's all fixed now and I'm a happy camper again.Craig

Edited by Talgas

It's probably the secondary air cross over valve. We have seen alot of those go bad here. A very quick and easy fix, but disheartening. smart is well aware of this, so I can't imagine a redesign for this component isn't already in the works. Please let us know what the diagnosis is and good luck. B)

What he said. Air valve under warranty took 4hours....zero problems since for me.

Mine starts at 3.5LAlso... my check engine light also came on (around 3000km I think) a couple of weeks ago. It was a valve in the secondary air injection system (maybe the secondary air cross over valve as mentioned above). It was an easy swap for the shop to do. The tech told me there was no problem to drive my car while waiting for the part... no engine damage, fuel economy not affected etc. I actually got 5.18L/100km on the highway with the CEL on, so it couldn't have been to bad. But it's all fixed now and I'm a happy camper again.Craig

What he said. Air valve under warranty took 4hours....zero problems since for me.

What they said. I took the car in today and it's the secondary air injection pump.hmm.. so 3 or 3.5L? hahahaha.... time to check the manual I guess ;)

And so... what were the codes? No codes, nothing to talk about... could have been anything really. No symptoms?

Unfortunatatley no scanguage, but I was told it recirulates emissions to burn....thats why I never noticed any lack of performance. New gas engines believe it or not are more similar to the regen diesels than any of us want to believe.

And so... what were the codes? No codes, nothing to talk about... could have been anything really. No symptoms?

Retrieved Code: #P0410Does that help?

Secondary air injection system malfunction.

Edited by Mike T

I have a P0410 that will not clear on my 451... anyway, it's going to the dealer soon for service.