Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

General Ongoing Fuel Economy Discussion

1,833 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This thread is for general discussion about the fuel mileage results real-world owners are getting with their fortwo cdi (diesel) engines.

According to the 2005 fuel consumption guide, the cdi should be able to get 3.8L/100km hwy, and 4.6L/100km city. This is apparently in 'softouch mode', whereas in 'softip', it should be 3.7L/100km hwy.

I'll start off by recapping my fuel economy for May 2005:

4057 kms

148.2 litres

3.65L/100km overall

77.3 mpg (Canadian)

64.4 mpg (US)

Hopefully Fred will kick off a fuel derby for June 1. We know there are some better results available!

My best result thus far was 3.44L/100km, or 82 mpg! My aim is to average out at 3.5 eventually, or at least for 8 months out of the year.

Edited by smartzuuk

My overall mileage to date for 16400 kms is 3.98L/100km, or 71 mpg.

My overall mileage for 15,800km is 4.39L/100km.

So far this month, it is at 3.99L/100km, and last month was 4.01L/100km.

I'm happy with anything around 4, I don't think it could get much better with the daily drive that I have.

Interestingly, the smarts being delivered these days have the official ratings of 4.6 city and 3.7 highway, whether or not they have softouch. The 2005 Energy Guide from Transport Canada shows the highway rating at 3.8 highway...

Overall, since getting my car on January 8th, I have averaged 4.00 L/100 km (70.6 MPG imerial).

May 2005: 3.62 L/100 km (78.0 MPG imperial).

With the snow and summer conditions (wheel changes included), and driving mostly in the city, my overall average is a little below 5 litres/100 kms.

My Smart will be here in a matter of weeks, but we have a 1998 Saturn wagon. We just drove from Moose Jaw to Lethbridge with the cruise control set at 105 the entire way. We had three adults in the car with gear, and we stopped twice. The odometer said we travelled 540.6 kilometres and we used a total of 29.7 litres of regular ol' unleaded gas. This works out to 5.3 l/100 kms. Not bad for a six-year old station wagon! By the way, there was a headwind most of the way as well.

I am looking forward to driving the Smart the same route and seeing what will happen. A friend in Regina said that their friend has a diesel Jetta and she drove from Regina to Vancouver without stopping for fuel. Amazing, huh?

One of the "must-haves" on our Smart is going to be cruise control.

Actually it's 5.5 L/100 km, but still excellent!

I wonder if the smart would have been all that much better, given those conditions.

One of the "must-haves" on our Smart is going to be cruise control.

I totally agree with you on cruise, but it wasn't enough to make me not order one, and I see that it didn't stop you as well.

Welcome to the site.

You do not have in your profile where you live, but from your post I take it that you live in Lethbridge. Any chance you could update your profile so as to show where you live.

Again, Welcome.

Bud

Sorry but some of you knew it was coming......

My overall mileage to date for 8,611 kms is 3.70L/100km, or 76.37 mpg.

Best tank to date was 3.26 L/100 or 86.58 mpg.

Best single tank distance 632 kms.

My overall mileage to date for 8,611 kms is 3.70L/100km, or 76.37 mpg.

Best tank to date was 3.26 L/100 or 86.58 mpg.

Best single tank distance 632 kms.

I'll be quite happy if I can do that.

Bud

No, no... we knew YOU were coming... there's no 'it' here...

3.43 L/100 km (>82 MPG); mixed driving (I don't mean the economy champ, "mixed") but mixed urban/suburban - a record for me :ballons:

Filled up today achieving back to back 600k+ tanks...... please don't hate me ....... :watchout:

Not great; 3.77 L/100 km, but it included intense city driving both during and after the event in Victoria today. The traffic downtown afterwards was brutal! So, I am not diasppointed with 3.77 in these circumstances.

mixed is the undisputed economy king!

It has been said on another site that diesels love the heat ..... this being my first diesel I can't speak to that .... I do know it was F'n hot here today. I had the first blob hold on till 210.4 kms before disappearing today, destroying my previous best mark of 194.2 km. dieseldave has reported a 2.86 l/100 km result on the weekend .... based on this information is a 700 km+ tank really now NOT outside the realm of possibility. I had previously gone 632 kms with a litre still showing in the tank, based on this new reading I may be able to get close

:beerchug:

*edit* I really need to learn how to type

but we have a 1998 Saturn wagon

1998, must be an SW, as I don't think the L-series was out yet. Those 1.9L engines were great. I had a '96 SL1, and a '01 SC1. We now have a 2.2L VUE. Never did look at the ION, as it lost the economy appeal of the S-Series.

The mom-in-law has a '92 SL2 that looks pretty-much brand new w/ 160,000km on her.

I'm not sure what it is. SW sounds right - W is for wagon, right?

Not much besides the fuel economy is great about the car - it is rough (the transmission lurches every time it shifts from neutral to park), the electrical system is shoddy (only one out of four electric windows still opens and closes), the fit & finish is really poor (two seatbelts no longer work), and the resale value is next to nothing (good thing it is long since paid-for). In short, it is pretty much a modern GM vehicle. The transmission imploded at 125,000 kilometres, and it is starting to use a little antifreeze now. We have about 165,000 kilometres on the odometer.

I am interested in seeing how well the Smart holds up. I hope that it lasts much better than the Saturn over 5-10 years. I have heard so many bad things about Mercedes quality, though - to be perfectly honest, I am more than a little scared. And I think the dealerships are going to be merciless a few years down the road, after the 3 year/80,000 kilometre limit has been breached.

Results from today's driving.............

Blob 2 ~ 295.4 kms

Blob 3 ~ 410.6 kms

Steve you had better seriously think about spending some time in your car tomorrow or tonight if you want to be first to 700 k on a tank ...

I have to and from work tomorrow again , another 220 k approx with a stop in Burlington for cruise night at the Mapleview, which means (knock on wood) if everything continues as it is I might be able to chance it Thursday morning

Like the Hamburglar, I've not had a mega-blobular performance yet. The best I've done on Blob 1 is 160 km. That was the tank I averaged 3.43 L/100 on. Today it went out at ~153 km.

Seems I am the only one bucking the trend on the spritmonitor image in the signature, choosing to go with a different style.... THAT IS NOT ALLOWED! YOU MUST CONFORM!

Seems I am the only one bucking the trend on the spritmonitor image in the signature, choosing to go with a different style.... THAT IS NOT ALLOWED! YOU MUST CONFORM!

Heyyyy, I got #5. It should be showing more pumps as my history grows longer.

210 km on the first blob? Amazing!

Mine's been crapping out at around the 120 km mark.

Damned lead foot of mine!