Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

General Ongoing Fuel Economy Discussion

1,833 posts in this topic

"No load" is an acceptable term for running in neutral, and was properly used. You'll also notice that you can't get the turbo to add 1.15 bar of boost in neutral. :)

I guess warmed-up was a poor use, and 10 mins alil much (the most was 10 mins because the coffee spilled on the way out)...I meant more so getting the oil moving and putting some warmth in the oil. I know the coolant doesn't warm up enough for the heat to work without driving. Also this is my first Diesel Car, all the Diesels I've used before were 20 Ton Articulating Wheel Loaders with pistons the size of my head that needed to be idled for 3-5 mins after startup. Our weather has been great the last couple days, but got down in the -8 ish area late last week

That reminds me: A good rule to follow when firing up a car that has been idled for a few years is to remove the spark plugs or glow plugs, to allow the engine to build up oil pressure to put a good film on all the moving bits without any crankshaft journal load from compression. I will do this to my 404C next summer.

Say that again?

We're talking about warming up the engine (or not) at idle, it reminded him that the 404 has sat "idle" for several years, and he noted a good procedure to follow for initial start-up after a lengthy furlough.

Right, different idle...... in reading it, I thought it ought to have read 'has not been idled' (ie: not been run)... which is what he did say...... Follow.... yeah

The 404 is finally going back on the road... cool!

Well not really, I just want to do an assessment of what needs work in a mechanical sense. The body needs lots of work, as you know.

Abit less work is to unplug the ignition(if gasoline) and just crank the engine till oil pressure builds.On the racecar (250hp 2.5L 2100LB Ford Mustang) we have a starter button and toggle switch for ignition power, I crank till I see 40 PSI Oil pressure and flip the switch.Back to Fuel Econ. though...So I've learned- Up the tires to 30/32psi- Idle 30-60 seconds max.- Use my block heater (but at what outside temp?)- Get a SG so we'll know when we're in/out of boost.

I use the block heater even in the garage. Mid-winter my garage stabilizes at about 12°C which is where the coolant is after a couple of hours. But when I leave for work it may be -15° outside. I leave the block heater on a timer for about an hour before I leave, and when I unplug it and hit the road, the ScanGauge reports my coolant at about 28°C. By the time I get to the end of my street (~500 m) I've got one blob.

I finally got around to listing the Scangauge E for sale... $94.95 CAD... see signature.My mileage is hovering around 6.0 in the lifted/larger tired 451I'll be making the trip back to Abbotsford later today or tomorrow, so will have a full 2000 kms on the car since the lift, and will post my numbers. I have calibrated the Scangauge to a GPS for distance, as the cars ODO is now undereporting by 9%.

I finally got around to listing the Scangauge E for sale... $94.95 CAD... see signature.My mileage is hovering around 6.0 in the lifted/larger tired 451I'll be making the trip back to Abbotsford later today or tomorrow, so will have a full 2000 kms on the car since the lift, and will post my numbers. I have calibrated the Scangauge to a GPS for distance, as the cars ODO is now undereporting by 9%.

Will the Scangauge E require the special cable for the 450cdi?

You may need to request a 'NON-CAN' cable from Linear Logic if you have issues. Not everyone does.

Got the results from our latest fill up504km Travelled21 Litres Used (I filled to rim at the start and again this fill, the dash said we had 1.5L Left)I worked it out to 4.2L/100kmThis was about 2 weeks of daily commuting 20mins eachway in mixed city & hwy driving, with a 60km hwy trip in high winds today.Winter Tires with 29psi, shifting manually.

I'm happy with it...With some room for improvement but still WAY better than the Kia Rio we got rid of to get the smart.

EGR feed tube from exhaust leaking, so no turbo at all. = 5.94LHK Prior to that, I had been averaging in 3.8's

Spew!

Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone

Got a 3.9LHK tank the last 2 weeks :) City Driving with Winter Tires

Good result!

EGR feed tube from exhaust leaking, so no turbo at all. = 5.94LHK Prior to that, I had been averaging in 3.8's

Holski crapski! Bad scene man. How was the EGR by the way? Did you bin it or did you hang onto it?

Holski crapski! Bad scene man. How was the EGR by the way? Did you bin it or did you hang onto it?

I've kept it of course, Mike. Since it hasn't been working for about three years - I have the emulator pcb plugged in AND I've had the CCV return bypassed for years too - it's probably nowhere near as dirty is it might otherwise be. Actually, it was only a little bit greasy and gungy. No actual blockage or obstructification, just some loosely packed, sooty schmutz. I could probably clean it up shine-style in a couple of minutes with a degreaser-laden toothbrush.B :senile:

Too much work to just throw it back on?

Yes, too much difficulty - nigh impossible - for me to do by myself. And the stainless steel exhaust tube block plate should be here Monday anyway, then I can have one "quick" session on Tuesday to swap out the plate with two little M10 bolts... and done like dinner. And soon after that it will be time for a major engine bay cleanup and exterior car wash. I'll likely have to wash and re-oil the tri-foam filter and run a tank with a double dose of de-carbon additive to clean the 'cat etc. Gotta tell you, I am super psyched to find out what result the EGR delete gives the wee'un after all this!!Bil :sun:

Last tank averaged 3.9L/100km. Lots of stop and go 401 with my winter steelies on. Was getting 4-4.5L/100km before this. Best tank so far has been 3.8, which included a drive to Huntsville on 80kph roads.

Edited by Z1K

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post...I had a quick question about the Scanguage I was hoping you could answer.Am I understanding correctly that the Scanguage E will literally just plug into my Smart? I think I'm interested in ordering one. Do you think delivery to Victoria would arrive before Christmas? (I know, I know...it's Tuesday night already ;-)ThanksJacqui