Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuum

General Ongoing Fuel Economy Discussion

1,833 posts in this topic

I was driving home from from the Cruise night at the Mapleview mall tonight where we had five show up tonight (pictures in the morning)..... and I realized that it was such a beautiful night why go straight home .... and I knew I couldn't wait till tomorrow to try for 700k. So about half way home I doubled back as much as I thought I would need to get to the Diesel pump closest to the house and then turned around and headed for home ...... I hit the station with just 0.5l showing on the gauge, the car sucked in 22.11 litres to its usual fill point and had traveled ..................... 710 kms .... as you can see below this dropped me down on spritmonitor to 3.6l / 100 k...

I look forward to tomorrow and a fresh new tank...... :bustamove:

I could use some 3.1 action myself.

Though I hasten to add that 3.5 - for the conditions I drive in - is already remarkable.

3.5 is awesome Mike.

I'm awaiting fasteddy to get info on an OEM cruise retrofit from Europe.

Once I ave cruise, I think I can level it out. It's become quite a bit of work to drive 85 on Hwy 1.

Craig is a great guy, but it's getting harder and harder to like him.

Congrats. I remember when I was king with my 574km tank.

My last few tanks haven't been overly great, but my latest tank should come in close to 3.5 or so on nearly 600 kms. This despite rush hour traffic in Seattle AND a passenger.

I can credit the mileage gains solely to driving 85 kmh or less in 6th. I let up on the last few tanks on trying to NOT go over 85... and well, paid the price...

So, fasteddy is working on the cruise... or as a last resort, I may opt to put in the MDC cruise. (I'm opting to not get MDC right away simply for the fact it's a separate module... I'm sure it's working good for the folks who have it...)

You can see my latest spritmonitor result below -- my worst recording to date. The main difference in the last week was the trip into Toronto for the rally and the use of the a/c -- which I'm assuming is what made the difference?

And I've whinged elsewhere about the jump in the cost of diesel. I'd been feeling smug about that until tonight. :cry3: Diesel more expensive than gas!!

Sigh.

You can see my latest spritmonitor result below -- my worst recording to date. The main difference in the last week was the trip into Toronto for the rally and the use of the a/c -- which I'm assuming is what made the difference?

And I've whinged elsewhere about the jump in the cost of diesel. I'd been feeling smug about that until tonight. :cry3: Diesel more expensive than gas!!

Sigh.

How many kilometers do you have on your car in total ?? 1 result posted is not much to get upset about, you have plenty of time to drop it down.

You can always read this if you need some advice on bettering your consumption.......

http://www.clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=135

What's going on mixed???

You want us to work to find out about your latest tank?

I went to the spritmonitor site - 710km on one tank! :cheer2:

22.11 litres?

Congratulations :ballons:

Edit: For the link until he replies here http://www.spritmonitor.de/detail.php?vid=114701

Last four tanks have all exceeded 600 kms, probably be five in a row by Thursday morning......... :clapping:

Darn, I was hoping that highspeed run you made around the park path on Sunday would've killed your fuel.

Had my worst tank in about 2 months, 4.19L/100km. Some spirited driving and plenty of A/C probably didn't help much. Still nothing to complain about.

I finally figured out how to use spiritmonitor (my results are skewed now b/c I didn't include my horrible mileage in the beginning :)), but I have one question whats the difference b/w autobahn and landstraBen or something? the 3 icons?

I finally figured out how to use spiritmonitor (my results are skewed now b/c I didn't include my horrible mileage in the beginning :)), but I have one question whats the difference b/w autobahn and landstraBen or something? the 3 icons?

It's probably open to interpretation but I assume autobahn to be on the equivalent of 400 series hwy's anything posting 100 km/hr.... landstraBen would be any roads etc posting 80 kms/hr or thereabouts ..... like I said open to interpretation ......

I would be curious to hear other's thoughts on the matter.... :BlahBlah:

Darn, I was hoping that highspeed run you made around the park path on Sunday would've killed your fuel.

Yah my wife wasn't too happy about it either !! :diablo:

How many kilometers do you have on your car in total ?? 1 result posted is not much to get upset about, you have plenty of time to drop it down.

You can always read this if you need some advice on bettering your consumption.......

http://www.clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=135

For the most part I've been trying to follow Mike's Most Excellent Tips -- but now that I've reread them, I realize that the change this time was probably inevitable. It's been super hot, so I've had the windows open, or the a/c on when on the highway. And my other half has driven the car a lot in the last week, and I think his driving style is slightly more agressive than mine (not a huge lot, but it all adds up, right?).

As for total kms: 2149, so maybe there's still a bit of breaking in to do? She asks hopefully?

I'm not upset by the result, more like I was surprised by it. Then I was surprised by the hike in the price of diesel. Just an evening of surprises.

Your car isn't even broken in yet, you have plenty of time for inprovement in your fuel economy........ check my spritmonitor page, it has slowly progressed downward....

I do not have air in my car but drive with the window down on humid days and haven't really noticed any degradation in my consumption because of it........... I have found that my car does run longer on the hot humid days could be coincidence..... :BlahBlah:

As for your location "Ontario" could you be a bit more vague.....

Good luck......

Yes, I could.

Yes, I could.

that hurts..... :cry3:

Yes, I could.

that hurts..... :cry3:

Got a way with the ladies there Craig.

I followed your pathway route when I left SteamWhistle as well... although my wife giggled.

I got another decent result today, despite being what I would consider to be a little careless during this tank - fast acceleration, straying over 90 sometimes, quite a few short trips. Actually it was my personal best: 3.42 L/100 km....

So I wish I had done this fill yesterday and therefore I would qualified that last tank for the derby....I might have been second this time! Ahh well.

But I did finally get my cumulative L/100 since the day the car was bought down under 4.0, which was nice!

The 110 km/h (with Jennifer capably) driving to Seattle and the city driving while there and in Vancouver resulted in a lousy 4.05 L/100 km, so my cumulative average is going to go back up to 4.0!

Ah well, it was a great event, worth it for sure.

I am wondering if it would not be better to have the same program (instead of spiritmonitor) written and calculate all the mileage results on the club website?

I am not capable of writting it myself, but I'm sure that someone on this forum could probably do a fine job of it. If not I think I may know of someone that could possibly do it GUI and all.

There must be a reason that you all use spirit monitor, but why could we not have the same thing for only smarts on the club website?

....Feedback?

It's more fun to compare ourselves with all those European fortwo cdi owners, IMO. Plus setting another one up in English would be quite the major job.

I just had my second best tank so far, 3.86L/100km (552km on 21.296L).

Finally dropped my Spritmonitor ranking down to 4.3 (it's actually 4.34). That's the average for all the diesels on that site.

It's more fun to compare ourselves with all those European fortwo cdi owners, IMO. Plus setting another one up in English would be quite the major job.

actually it's kind of fun to compare your car to ALL the vehicles just to realize what kind of fuel consumption we are getting ..... and for euro's per 100 km's they cant touch us on this side of the pond......