Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuum

General Ongoing Fuel Economy Discussion

1,833 posts in this topic

..... the buttons are poorly labeled.

Sorry to chime in late.The problem is simply that the button below the individual messages is not actually a 'Reply' button per se, but is a "Quote and Reply" button. Note the " before 'Reply'...It's a small issue. What it really prompts someone to do when they use it, is edit what they are quoting down to the bare minimum required.... like part of a sentence....

Why do you measure in litres per hour? Or do you mean LHK (L/100 km)?

I have kept track of FE in all my vehicles since 1984. The list is rather long.I have owned this 450 since Feb and previously owned another one for about 2 years. The FE noted here by others seems to me to be astounding. My current average is about 4.05 L/100km based upon a full month at a time - I got nearer to 4.5 L/100 km in Feb. Occasionally I get high 3s on an individual tank but that always seems to be followed by mid 4s on the next tank, suggesting that the amount of fuel going in the tank is the variable of interest. That's why I do it monthly. I always fill up just until the "click" and seldom, because of this, see much above 350 km to a "fill up". But the "filling to the click" part is at least consistent.The signatures of some of you suggest that about 4.1 L/100 is the "norm", consistent with me. So what are those of you reporting mid 3s (equivalent to 80 mpg imperial, doing that I am not? My driving is about 80/20 highway/city and I very rarely drive above 100 km/h. I always drive in manual mode and normally shift at 3000-35000 rpm. Pretty easy driver.Thoughts?

Brakes are the enemy, don't use them. That is how you maximise FE.

Driving 90 km each way to work, 7 days a week, all highway it is doubtful if they could be used less without simply running into stuff!!

You are certainly driving far enough to have the engine running at operating temp. Winter FE will always be worst due to fuel and temperatures. If you do not have to drive 100 kph, 80 or 90 will certainly result in better FE. The smart has all the aerodynamics of a brick, speed quickly hampers FE.

Edited by Huronlad

I recently started driving "by the gauge" with my 450. Back in Feb (I think) I installed an UltraGauge and played with it for a few weeks, getting used to all the readings and figuring out what was normal. Since the warmer weather, I have been making a concerted effort to achieve the best FE that I can using, what they call, the Instantaneous L/100km (IL/100) gauge and the Average L/100km gauge AL/100).What I'm finding is that 90km/h, in 6th gear, is really a sweet spot. The tach is showing just under 2k and the IL/100 is showing 2.7 - 2.9 L/100km....which is amazing. In English, that's 104 - 97 mpg!! The engine isn't lugging and seems to be happy and I can cruise all the secondary roads like that very easily.However, I can't do 90km/h on the 400 series highways else I get run over :) But, even at 110km/h, and not setting the cruise, I am showing between 3.2 and 3.3 (88-85mpg) which is awesome! Obviously, hills and valleys will play hell with the readings but that's on the straight and level. But even then, I rarely get above 4.0.Since installing the gauge, I have shaved the Average L/100km down from 4.3 to 3.95 L/100km. But, I've been at 3.95 for a few weeks now and can't seem to get any lower. So, I guess that's going to be about the average. I guess, eventually, the FE in the signature will come down, too. But, there's a years worth of fill-ups for that figure rather than just a few months. Maybe someday ;) That's what I'm finding and I'm having fun trying to improve the FE by easing-up on the pedal. YMMV..Happy Canada Day all...