Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tilleybabe

lost Air Conditioner

34 posts in this topic

Has anyone had this problem, turning on their Air conditioner this year and finding it dead? There are two of us in this southern Alberta City and both of us have lost our air. I had to go in for a part to be put on and asked them to check out my air conditioner, They said they checked but could not fix it that day as it takes 5 hours to do it. I made another appointment and asked why I had lost it. They told me that the rocking of the motor had caused the little cup to move and it let out the freon. Don't ask, I don't know what cup, but I do hope it isn't going to happen every year. We live in a very hot area. I then met the other smart car owner and he too is having problems he was told that he needed a part for his and it had to come from Germany. I have also lost my block heater cord for the second time since I have owned the car only 1 year and this time they gave me the whole assembly at 176.00 to put in myself Not happening they are getting the part back and They can fix it on warranty. I pulls out of the socket and runs along the ground till it is wratched. I love my car but not the service I have been getting. We drive 2 hours to make our appointment time and wait all day for our cars to get out only to find they are still not fixed.

Greetings:Very common problem. Search this site. You'll find lots of information and possible solutions. Ours has been fixed four times in less than 28K. It fails every year unless you use Duracool or live on Vancouver Island. If you still have warranty, you have to decide if you want to go aftermarket and try to solve the problem or let Mercedes fix it.Ian

Mine worked when I tried it this spring. I couldn't fire it up in winter as the thing won't start at exterior temps below 5c according to the manual. So it's been off since before I bought it.However my car spent 3 years as a dealer demo and who knows what mods may have been done? It's so zippy I keep wondering if it was remapped to make it more attractive to potential buyers while on a test drive.

So far mine is working and the car is just about one year on the road. Hope that my writing this doesn't jinx it!!

Mine (05 Pulse) failed weeks before the end of its first simmer. I believe it was never properly inspected at PDI not fully charged at delivery. Instead if b*ggering around, I went for a recharge with DuralCool and it's now come through three winters trouble free.BTW, noticed the other day: the complete "Mobile Service Kit" of DuraCool products - with gauge & hoses - available at Wallyworld for $99.B :sun:

The only problem I have with mine, now that I put in the DuraCool, is that it works too well. It ices up after about an hour, so I have to shut it off for a little while, then the ice chunks spew out of the centre vent!-Iain

Mine has failed every summer since I have had it. They fixed it during the winter months so I am hoping it will work this summer.

I have had to re-charge my system each year. So far it has been on warranty, but that is running out. One of my service reps said that the A/C is the achilles heel of the smart and I have to agree. It is the one reason that I agonize over whether or not I should buy a new smart. So far I'm leaning towards a hybrid.I think that the most telling thing for me was when a MB rep used the escuse that the smart is not made by MB. When I pointed out to him that it is their product and they must support it likke any other MB product, he had little to say.

I went in asking about my air con as it has never blown cold air, only cool air and now just warm air. After 1 billable hour they repeated back to me exactly what i had told them. They couldnt figure it out. So I asked them maybe a mechanic should look at it. With a puzzled look they said that a mechanic did look at it. So I said how about a mechanic that works on smart cars because obviously if the guys on the smart car website can figure it out a trained smart car mechanic should be able to... It just got bad from there.

What a shameful situation: one of the largest, wealthiest, and most sophisticated cities in the country offering the shoddiest and most insolently over-priced "service" available anywhere in Canada. :banghead:

What a shameful situation: one of the largest, wealthiest, and most sophisticated cities in the country offering the shoddiest and most insolently over-priced "service" available anywhere in Canada. :banghead:

YUP, isn't Alberta great !!!. MAN !!! If the dealership in Kelowna was open on saturdays i would drive there and have my cars B service done and drive back too edmonton rather than go to an Edmonton dealership. So is it the extra sunshine you BC'ers get or what. what makes the BC service so much better than Alberta service for our smart cars???

YUP, isn't Alberta great !!!. MAN !!! If the dealership in Kelowna was open on saturdays i would drive there and have my cars B service done and drive back too edmonton rather than go to an Edmonton dealership. So is it the extra sunshine you BC'ers get or what. what makes the BC service so much better than Alberta service for our smart cars???

It's variable in every province, I think... Easier for you and better service in Kamloops than Kelowna. I think BC companies are hungrier. ;)

So Bil: Is the dealership in Kamloops open on saturdays?If they are hungry they might wanna consider it?I'm sure i'm not the only smartie that would be willing to drive to BC to get good , happy, honest . quality service on my smart car?I wonder which is closer, Kamloops or Kelowna ???In Kelowna i could visit Steven.. Not sure i know anyone in Kamloops?

My 2006 Pulse A/C has worked flawlessly..... until this spring. Now nothing. Its a 7 hour round trip to Calgary for crappy service. Has anyone recharged their own? Where are the connections? A quick look today did not find them on the top end.

Remove the grille and it's visible there.

Remove the grill. The high pressure side is on the driver's side. Do NOT connect the recharge bottle here. The low pressure side is behind the little yellow light on the passanger's side. Simply remove the yellow light and look inside. Connect the recharge bottle here to recharge. They sell the R134a recharge kit in the US at WallyMart.

How much should you fill it?I filled mine to the top of the green arc on the duracool gauge - does that sound right (4.5 PSI I think).

I have my A/C fixed on warranty every year. For those of us with original smarts, our warranties are running out. Two days ago, I sent an email to MB Canada telling them of my issue and pointed out that any other product that is defective from the very start would be replaced. I continued by saying that I merely want a reasonable solution to my problem prior to my warranty being over. I'm interested to see what response I get.