Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Speedie

How to - make your smart safer at night

14 posts in this topic

One thing I do to all vehicles is put some sort of reflector on the door - really surprised smart didn't especially with our wide doors.The clearance on the door is pretty tight so that limits options. What I came up with was some reflective dots cut from reflective tape..I made up a hole punch and it is a great way to work off frustration - the dots are about 15mm and if anyone wants some - let me know - what would work best is if someone in an area grabbed a bunch and distributed at meets etc.To install - give the spot a wipe with something like isopropanol to get the greasy bits off - then place so that you get a reflective surface at all stages of the door opening.Here are some pictures.post-375-1211854135_thumb.jpg Dots in the raw - you can get a heck of a lot of them out of one strip - made them small as to not be too difficult to placepost-375-1211854147_thumb.jpg Before - imagine it is night time - hard to see huh!?post-375-1211854157_thumb.jpg Placement - three spots - fully open, partially, and points in betweenpost-375-1211854165_thumb.jpg This is with just a flashlight under bright conditions - with head lights it would be pretty hard to not to seeCheers,Cameron

I love the irony that one of the members with the best fabrication skill-sets comes up with this one! :D

LOL - well I did have to make the punch - chunk of conduit with a Ford wheel stud welded in. Took a lot longer than the punching but I can make a whack of them now.If anyone wants some to distribute - PM me an address and approximate count and I will throw them in the mail.Cheers,Cameron

That is absolutely brilliant in it's simplicity. Oh I just thought it's also brilliant at night!

If you can find the yellow reflective tape that a school bus uses it seems to reflect light much better than the red/white tape.

This stuff is the same with a different colour on it - the picture was in daylight with only a small flash light for illumination - I am going to go hit up a sign maker I know for some scraps of Scotlite stuff - like they use on traffic signs - it is about as reflective as it gets!Other aspect is from the rear - reflectors are supposed to be red - yellow - at least in Canada is reserved for the front - hence our ugly love handles on the back and truck markers on the front (surprised they didn't use duct tape!).Cheers,Cameron

The brightest stuff used on signs is 3M DG3, the stuff that meets ASTM 9 reflectivity standards. AVery Denisson makes an ASTM 9 grade material as well.I have some narrow, ~1.5 cm wide, red reflective tape. It would probably work well to put a couple stripes down the door. Thanks for the idea.

The stuff I am using has Avery on the back - thanks for the spec on the 3m stuff - have to see if I can locate some here!It is the really small stuff that can make the difference - amazing how well semi's show up with the strips compared to what they used to be like - especially if the tail lights were out or covered in road slime. I am often amazed as some cyclists here - no reflectors - no lights - rainy nights - and dark clothing - the Telephone company here when it used to be BC Tel used to distribute reflective stickers at schools - sure they wound up stuck places they didn't belong - but a lot wound up on bikes - great low cost feel good community thing - may be we need CsC stickers? :) Cheers,Cameron

I'll just be happy if they have some scraps of something - low buck approach - but hopefully it will be the good stuff - thanks for the info.Cheers,Cameron