Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cait

The OFFICIAL Chat Poll!

To chat or not to chat   72 members have voted

1. 1.

• Definitely!
    • No way :[
    • Meh! I wouldnt use it, but would not be opposed to one...

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

64 posts in this topic

I have been reading some posts and some are thinking we should buy a chat, otheres are saying we shouldn't.... perhaps we can get another free one. However, this is the unofficial (until a mod/admin makes it official..made official!) poll to see who wants a chat on this site!

so get your mouse ready and click!

Yeah I sure could go for for a chat...

I think there's a lotta free alternatives out there...

However, they still need to be tested for ruggedness and security...

Should we need to buy one though, I'll chip in!

Eddie

Edit: Cait says I cannot spell! BAH!

Count me in. I'm new to the world of chat but it's fun. Sometimes it gets a little chaotic but that's not really a bad thing either.

Before the crash though chat seemed to be falling in popularity. However maybe now that it's actually gone people will realize how much they liked it.

And Eddie, Cait's right about your spelling ability, but I'm no better really. In fact you should stand up for your right to spell in your own individual way. Live outside the box and don't let those silly academics stiffle your style. Live free my man!

Um, was that too weird?

:P

I'm making it official! We need to know if the members at large would be willing to use club assets for a good chat system.

s_mack has one up for testing on his site - looks good to me.

http://www.smartieparts.com/chat/

They have more features for $75 $100 $135, but the free one looks fine to me.

Basic Service Features

* Customizable Look & Feel

o Embeds directly into your own website!

o You specify colors & defaults.

o Two layout styles

* Advanced, web-based control panel

* Audio Enabled

o Audio Emoticons

o Use audio to grab another user's attention

* Built-in Image Emoticons

* Profanity Filter/Censoring

o Two Modes

o You choose which words to censor

* Easily Communicate Web Addresses (URL's)

* Timestamp & Message Scrollback Features

* Loads Very Fast! (~69k)

* Multiple Subrooms

* Online Help

* Available in English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Armenian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.

* 100% Free. No Strings Attached.

The Professional one does let you add the number of users onto the site though.

Cya

Doesn't work on my computer. :( I'm running Windows XP Profesional with Service Pack 2 if any of that jibberish means anything to anybody... :P

Doesn't work on my computer. :( I'm running Windows XP Profesional with Service Pack 2 if any of that jibberish means anything to anybody... :P

Trying it now, it requires the JAVA runtime plug in... So maybe that's what your missing. With firefox I had to click on the menu bar to allow it to install.

Trying it now, it requires the JAVA runtime plug in... So maybe that's what your missing. With firefox I had to click on the menu bar to allow it to install.

The $100US a year plan looks like what we'd need... Anything less and your asking for trouble.

Eddie and I were in that chat on s_macks site earlier today and decided it was a no go because it booted him out and wouldnt let him back in again.... but if there's a way around that then it seemed like a pretty neat chat.

I was a fan too!!! mets get that web site up in hurr!

oh, its laready here, thanks caspar! look up a few posts! click and chat!! woo woo!!

Eddie and I were in that chat on s_macks site earlier today and decided it was a no go because it booted him out and wouldnt let him back in again.... but if there's a way around that then it seemed like a pretty neat chat.

like that's never happened to him before :buttkick::hilarious:

I tried to find chat on s_mack's site and couldn't :help:. But some guy named Steven kept following me around trying to sell me car parts :lookaround:.

It works now. :D I didn't do anything different it just started working. Nobody was there though. :(

I tried to find chat on s_mack's site and couldn't :help:. But some guy named Steven kept following me around trying to sell me car parts :lookaround:.

He followed me around, as well and asked me if I needed anything for my Smart car. I told him I decided not to get the smart car and I bought a Hummer. He was speechless (if you can imagine that)!!! :crackmeup:

It would serve the need of a dozen or so of our members. Get the free one s_mack & caspar suggest.

For me, I think the need to think, write, consider, and send will make for a stronger site, so I wouldn't use it.

The chat thing is fine for the more compulsively verbal/emotional, with time to spare.

So, appeal to us all - add the the free chatter tool.

He followed me around, as well and asked me if I needed anything for my Smart car. I told him I decided not to get the smart car and I bought a Hummer. He was speechless (if you can imagine that)!!! :crackmeup:

Well he's kind of quiet and shy most of the time anyway.

Speechless=never!!!

Followed your link Cati :lookaround: and it worked but all I got was an echo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.

Followed your link Cati :lookaround: and it worked but all I got was an echo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.

who needs spell checker now! :bustamove:

ok, i take it back again.. I like the chat on his site. I gues my computer was just being a poo last night. I just tried it now and it works perfectly... except I got an echo too

Also it says that the Professional level has unlimited people chatting - it doesn't mention how the basic is limited though.

chat is for chatting - just talking about stuff that may not have anything to do with smarts - you know stuff that we don't really need/want on the board anyway :-) Or for sorting out arrangements for meets - which can then be posted into a topic. Cheaper than phones and a lot of people can be involved all at once.

Cya

I wonder if people can explore the use of IRC -- remember that? Internet Relay Chat. You use an agent on your desktop, connect to an IRC server, then join a room. Now, what if we had a bot to monitor and control a #clubsmartcar room?

The problem I see with the web-based chat programs is that they quite inevitably have to construct their own interfaces, be it through Java or Flash or whatever. Because of this, desktop enhancements like a scrolling wheel on a mouse won't work in the scrolling chat window. Also, they start to break down as the chat room gets busy.

That chat program on smartieparts is reasonable though it doesn't have tooltips where the buttons are. Who's looking at the status bar of their browser to see what the icons mean? There was some lag in entering text.