Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ARTZ

Conversion from L/100km to MPG (or vice-versa)

34 posts in this topic

I found this on anther site that I use to visit alot but not as much any more but it has an easy to use conversion web form for all you fuel consumption needs.

Fuel Conversion

Many of you have probably already been to TDI Club before. It is an excellent site for TDI information and it is also Canadian.

It is easy to use. Just plug in your fuel ecnomy from www.spritmonitor.de into the L/100km field and click the button below it.

Let me know if the calculations are accurate.

**EDIT** just to let you know the attachment here is just an image/picture of the screen and doesn't actually work. Click here to goto the website.

post-80-1126781861.jpg

i would... but the whole spirit moniter thing confuses me.... so i'll just use how far i've travelled and how much fuel i just put in the tank. I always fill it to the same point (as close to teh same as I can anyway)....

I have noticed recently (although maybe it always did it and I never picked up on it) that spritmonitor that you can enter cost in CDN and it lists it as Euros. I used to go to xe.com to convert it then cut and paste.

Of course that conversion on TDI club is for US and not Imperial gallons....

S

I find the easiest way to convert units is with Google. Enter 3.5 l/100km in miles per uk gallon in Google's search bar and it will spit back 80.7 (or 3.5 l/100km in mpg for US gallons).

You can also use it to switch between currencies. Want to know what last week's outrageous gas prices in Newfoundland would be in U.S. units? Try this: 1.489 CAD / l in USD / gallon.

Well I didn't know about doing that in google. :lookaround: I knew that you could enter 2+3 in google to get back 5. I actually used google to search for the conversion utility. Well now I have more useful information in my head, just call me "Cliff" (Pass me another beer there, Norm) :beerchug:

Here are some more for you, "Cliff". You can convert pretty much everything with Google Calculator. The magic keyword is "in", for example bushel fortnights per long ton in UK ounce minutes per slug.

It even know constants, like those in Euler's classic formula e^(i pi) + 1.

Or, for fans of Douglas Adams, how about the answer to life the universe and everything.

</offtopic>

Imp: 282.48 over mpg (or liters) equals liters (or mpg).

US: 235.21 over mpg (or liters) equals liters (or mpg).

My rental Sharan in Belgium used 13.66 liters to travel 281.2 km.

13.66 / 2.812 = 4.86 l/100km

282.48 / 4.86 = 58.1 mpg (imp)

235.21 / 4.86 = 48.4 mpg (us)

<edited on 20 Sept. to correct "rounding" errors>

<Oops, corrected two lines and the header, but not the other two>

I just noticed that in the Canadian Fuel Consumption Guide that when they convert the L/100km to MPG that they use a UK gallon not a US gallon. That is quite miss leading to the general public. My brother-in-law just bought a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and he was told that it gets 30 MPG. Well according to the Government of Canada it get 28 miles per UK gallon which translates to 21 MPG. That is a big difference. Why would the Government of Canada use UK gallons in stead of US gallons? :lookaround:

Why would the Government of Canada use UK gallons in stead of US gallons? :lookaround:

For the same reason we have a picture of the Queen on our money, and not the US President... :rollsmile:

Probably because we were once part of the crown and not a US state. Worldwide a gallon is an Imperial gallon only the Americans refer to the US gallon as a "gallon"

I just noticed that in the Canadian Fuel Consumption Guide that when they convert the L/100km to MPG that they use a UK gallon not a US gallon. That is quite miss leading to the general public. My brother-in-law just bought a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and he was told that it gets 30 MPG. Well according to the Government of Canada it get 28 miles per UK gallon which translates to 21 MPG. That is a big difference. Why would the Government of Canada use UK gallons in stead of US gallons? :lookaround:

Once upon a time, when the metric system was but a twinkle in some egghead's eye, Canada, being a good citizen of the Commonwealth, used imperial measures, which were based on British measures.

Seems to me obviously we'd use UK gallons... the mpg conversion isn't there for the benefit of Americans... I don't see how it is misleading. A gallon in Canada is 4.54L - same as it has always been. Its not our fault some American way back when didn't know how to use an abicus :)

- Steven

In the U.S., they rejected everything to do with the monarchy ? driving on the left, Imperial measures, proper spelling ? when they achieved independence from England. They also say "aluminum" instead of the proper "aluminium". ;)

Heck, they can't even spell units in the metric system correctly. They say "liters" and "meters" instead of "litres" and "metres".

darren.

I find it funny how schizophrenic Canada is with Metric and Imperial. You can go to the hardware store and buy a kilogram of 3/4 inch nails... :P

I read an interesting article regarding where the funny US measurements come from. Really - its not that they are funny... they simply pre-date the metric system and they never bothered to change it... however, that's not unique. The UK gallon is pretty stupid too, so is a "bushel" or a "pint". For the US gallon, it was simply that some guy at some point took a "gallon" (which was an iron bucket) that was made in England and he decided to make a business selling iron buckets of his own... he used the inside of the gallon as his mold, ensuring that all "gallons" made by his "gallon" mold were destined to be smaller than the original. He happened to become the largest (if not only) supplier of gallons in the New World and it became the defacto standard. When they officially standardized measurements (some 100+ years later) they used his gallon as the official US gallon. So it wasn't so much a matter of rebelling from the UK (if it were, they surely would have chosen a gallon that's 10 times the size of a UK one) as it was an off-shoot of practical application unique to the New World's experiences.

This is the same for so many things... the length of a "yard", or a "foot"... even the width of a railroad track has a very interesting history... but its not the one many people hear in math courses:

The common (and more interesting) story is:

A standard railroad track is exactly 4 feet, 8 and 1/2 inches apart. Why?

Because a standard railroad tie is 4 feet, 8 and 1/2 incheas apart. Ok, why?

Because Horse and buggy wheels where 4 feet, 8 and 1/2 inches apart. Why?

Well, because roads carved from centuries of use were 4 feet, 8 and 1/2 inches apart. Why's that?

Because ancient romans used chariots an their wheels were 4 feet, 8 and 1/2 inches apart. But why???

Because... two horses asses are aproximately 4 feet, 8 and 1/2 inches wide!

It is amusing... but not true...

The truth is, some guy named Stephenenson was the leading developer of steam powered mining carts and they had to run on a single standard. For whatever reason, that's how wide he made his contraption. By the time railroads were coming into popular use and they decided to standardize things, he already had 100's of miles of track that width in place so they went with it.

Trivia by s_mack

- Steven

I find it funny how schizophrenic Canada is with Metric and Imperial. You can go to the hardware store and buy a kilogram of 3/4 inch nails... :P

What's even more odd is that in the construction trades, architects' plans are in metric, but all lumber is in U.S. measurements. (Can't really refit all of the sawmills to do metric measurements when we sell so much lumber south of the border.) And when we poured a concrete pad for our hot tub a couple of years ago, our gravel was ordered in cubic metres, and the concrete was ordered in cubic yards... or the other way around, i can't remember.

darren.

... and do you know why they drive on different sides of the road in different countries? ;)

So, when someone asks me for the MPG of the smart car do I tell them the UK gallon or should I tell them US gallon? I tell my dad L/100km and he always asks me what's that in MPG. What do I tell people? Any Thoughts. :lookaround:

I tell them miles per US gallon. After all, most of the world is metric now, so most should understand L/100km, and for the rest, well, US probably works.

I have a small spreadsheet on my palmtop that lets me put in miles per US gallons, or litres per 100 km and have the conversion to the other automatically done.

I tell them miles per US gallon. After all, most of the world is metric now, so most should understand L/100km, and for the rest, well, US probably works.

I have a small spreadsheet on my palmtop that lets me put in miles per US gallons, or litres per 100 km and have the conversion to the other automatically done.