Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sryall

Why did they stop making the diesel for CA?

27 posts in this topic

Howdy - we are looking at getting a smart car - but we can't find any information as to why they stopped selling the diesel in Canada? Are there problems with it?? We live on the "Wet" Coast so winter isn't really a problem... Thanks in advance....

Economics - the Americans can't have them, and our sales amount to about the same as just one of their states, so...

The gasoline model was introduced to the American market for 2008, and unfortunately, we are stuck with getting whatever the US gets... and they don't want the diesel. That's the simple answer.The diesel is quite reliable, and there are many high quality used units available, including even in the Fraser Valley. (I have one for sale at this time for example.)Check the member classifieds on this site. PM me if you want any help finding a good unit.

We only got the diesel in Canada as a fluke; M-B Canada had plans to import the gasoline-engined car in 2003, but it could not meet the fuel vapour regulations, so they defaulted to the diesel.That fluke was eliminated with the new 451 and so we will likely only ever get the gas engine from now on. And sales are strong enough that maybe the marketing people are right, although some would still like to buy the diesel. Even in Europe, the diesel is a poor seller.

Thanks for the replies - that was kinda what we figured... As for diesel in the UK - maybe the Smart isn't a great seller - but diesels seem to sell great there according to my brother in law who lives there... and loves his diesel (not a Smart)...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah, that is the thing, even in countries where the new 451 is sold as both a diesel and gasoline version, the sales mix is about 82% gasoline and 18% diesel for the smartl, whereas for all other cars that are available in both gas and diesel, it's more like diesel: 65%, gas 35%.So I am not sure why the diesel smart is so unpopular.

Edited by Mike T

Something no one has mentioned. The 450 cdi didn't meet the new 2007 Canadian emission standards. That's why all 450s produced for the Canadian market in late 2006 or 2007 were registered as 2006. That way they didn't have to meet the new standards. One of the reasons the 450 cdi didn't sell that well in the UK was that most, if not all cdi units were only produced in left hand drive.

All cdis were and are LHD. And good point about the emission controls. With 18% diesel sales, I doubt the bean counters at smart are willing to redesign the engine for the meagre sales benefit it would likely bring.

Yeah, as much as I love my car I probably would have bought a turbo gasser had it been available for the 450 in 2005. I'd be blipping around with (at least) 95 hp right now I'm sure. Unless I'd had my license taken away...:D

Just to clarify, we never got any smarts built in 2007, although some arived in Canada in 2007 of course. They were all built by the fall of 2006As a side note, many '2006' G&K conversions in the US were actually official 2007 model year cars...

Posted (edited) · Report post

The local AM news station owned by Rogers Communications (680 News) has been running an auto related info spot which stresses the efficiency and the eco-friendliness of the latest diesel technology. M-B Bluetec and the latest Jeep diesels are mentioned, but strangely, not VW, a company which has promoted diesels for years. The impression is given that most Japanese and Korean car makers will be offering diesels in 2009 in response to high fuel prices. If this is true, I'm confident that Penske will make smart diesels available to North American buyers in order to compete. Fuel economy is now a huge factor in auto purchases. People have finally taken notice. Too bad they won't slow down; that would save a lot right there.

Edited by smart65

I wonder how long it will be before highway speed limits are brought down for the sake of fuel economy.As related to diesels, someone had posted about some market research they had been doing for the US, and found that there was no diesel that could stuff into a smart car that was powerful enough to meet the demands of the US public, or something to that effect, and as such they had no plans for diesels in the US in the near future.

Well, that's plainly a result of North American devolution, thanks to the artificially cheap price of gas throughout the last 25 years along with Nanny-Statism mandating more safety equipment on cars instead of better driver education and law enforcement. Consumers want more power because the car makers have brain-washed them into wanting more power.Remember the Rabbit Diesel? 48 hp and 57 lb-ft. 0-60 in 17 seconds. Or how about the MB 240D? 0-60 in 25 seconds!

Rabbit Diesels are FAST compared to a fortwo cdi! :lol:

My 1990 Golf Diesel was way slower than my smart. The key problem bringing a diesel into NA is you have to put the Bluetec scrubbers or some other technology to pass the 2007 emissions standards. MB can do it but is there a business case to do it. Also will adding the technology price the diesel version out of the market. Bluetec tends to be on more expensive vehicles.I reviewed the 2007 MB E320 Bluetec. AMAZING vehicle. Power fast and got better mileage than a Ford Focus with a base engine and a manual transmission. Not a cheap date though

There won't be any smart cdi in North America until it meets the new NOx2 levels that were put in place during 2007...I have read somewhere that Mercedes has been experimenting with blutec technology for the smart.

That link takes you to smart UK/GB. I couldn't find anything about a diesel on the smart Canada site.

SWEET!!!

Will wait for that to hit the market then... we were looking at a 2006 "demo" that qualified for the goverment rebate programs...

Thanks!!!

SR

That link takes you to smart UK/GB. I couldn't find anything about a diesel on the smart Canada site.

Boo hiss!!Hopefully it will still make it over the pond....

Well, that's plainly a result of North American devolution, thanks to the artificially cheap price of gas throughout the last 25 years along with Nanny-Statism mandating more safety equipment on cars instead of better driver education and law enforcement. Consumers want more power because the car makers have brain-washed them into wanting more power.Remember the Rabbit Diesel? 48 hp and 57 lb-ft. 0-60 in 17 seconds. Or how about the MB 240D? 0-60 in 25 seconds!

You took the words right out of my mouth -- thank you

I grew up riding around in a VW van - 0-60 ? Surely you jest - maybe 55 if you had a tail wind and a downhill :lol: Actually it wasn't bad after Dad redid it as a 1600cc with headers - but earth shattering acceleration was not among it's charms even after that. We did pull a pretty good sized boat over the Malahat once - with plenty of 2nd gear and cool down stops. But you have to know how to drive more than just stepping on the gas - things like downshifting and getting a run at hills - that lets out a good 1/2 the populace that figure driving is get in the car, step on the gas as hard as you can, turn on the stereo and yack on the cell.I am not sure where everyone got convinced you need dragster like performance - heck the most distance you can go in a city if the lights are with you is about 2 miles and then you are in traffic so you can't really unleash "The Power" so you are stuck hauling an extra half an engine around just in case a drag race pops up. Once you are at speed on the highway - who cares? Usually there is slower traffic ahead on the on ramp anyways - and not too many places you need to go 160km/h anyways.I am happy to take a bit longer to get up to speed and get 60mpg - and with a remap it isn't that much longer than most cars - with a whooping 60 some HP! We did fine down on the freeways in San Fran - kept up with traffic with no issues - merged fine - did a lot better than the BMW roadster that kissed the wall with his butt end when the dumass stepped on the gas too hard after a light rain - car go sideways - car go boom - I know let's blame BMW for not putting a warning sticker on the door!Cheers,Cameron

Looks like I'll be getting a used one. LOL. Not that I mind! I keep thinking a gas smart kind of defeats the purpose.

Hi, myself & many friends would fall all over ourselves to obtain a new diesel smartA Brabus variant would be the best of everythingHave always had a diesel, starting with a Rabbit, wish I still had itAcceleration from stop ?Diesel drivers develop more subdued style over timeHeck, sometimes I don't even smoke screen the SUV's behind me at freeway on ramps anymoreCM

VW beetle 4 speed transmission guide:first speed is used to break innerciasecond speed is to start acceleratingthird speed is for actual accelarationfourth speed is available to maintain cruising speed on flat surface.down shift as necessaryP.S. in winter if you own a beetle or a supeer beetle lighting a candle on the dash to help defrosting and raise ambiant temperature will result in a cracked windshield.:-)