Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nextourer

451 - 12V has enough juice?

12 posts in this topic

Hmm.. I've noticed two things with my 4511. When you change gears, the headlights dim during the shift2. When the hazard lights are on and the dome lamp is on, the dome lamp dims and brightens out of phase with the hazardsAny thoughts?oh and leaving the dome light on overnight does no damage. The light was just as bright in the morning with no sign of a drained battery.

If you have a ScanGauge, have VLT on and a fast refresh rate, and see what happens to the voltage during a shift. Maybe your voltage regulator is shot? I've never noticed that in my 450 (when shifting).

I don't have a scangauge =(. The headlight dim is minute. I only saw it because I was on a circular onramp which had little street lighting so I saw the lights dim against the grass and the reflectors at the side of the curve.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nextour. Some of the new NA-451's were shipped with defective batteries and have been failing prematurely. Contact your dealer and have him load test, or replace the battery. This little car has lots of electrics and imposes tough work on the system. This may be your early warning of problems ahead. Catch it now. A2Jack.

Edited by a2jack

Will do. Thanks A2Jack. I'll let them know about the dimming of the lights when I bring in the car. I gotta do a quick check of the mechanical bits after the two violations from the vandals. I don't think the front wheel is supposed to be tilted that far when I found it but it seems ok. "seems" being the operative word.

ScanGauge Voltage...With engine off: 12.5 V.Engine at idle (900 rpm): 13.7 V.Engine above idle (1000 rpm and up): 14.0 V.During transmission shifts: 13.7 V.

so it does drop 0.3V when shifting lol. Is 0.3V enough of a drop to slightly dim the headlights?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe if you have owl vision; but a really visible dimming would likely be over 1 volt, I think, like the difference between running on a battery alone (12.x V) and alternator (14 V).

Edited by Mike T

I have noticed subtle dimming on the lights on my car as well as every other smart I've driven (450 and 451); I have pretty bad eyesight, but it's noticeable. For example turning on the blinker you can watch the luminosity of the instrument cluster change ever so slightly.-Iain

mmhmm. As Duck said, it is just visible. I mean even turning on the hazards will see the dome light dim and brighten accordingly.

I always feel the cabrio motor is undersized. It labours so hard to get the roof closed, even on brand new cars. As a mechanical designer that makes me cringe!-Iain

I don't know, seems that the cabrio roof comes back just fine. I just chuckle each time I move it because of the way the whole vehicle seems to move up and down when it lowers or raises at the far back. All sorts of SBNs to be copied by impressionable young childrenSBN - my daughters phrase Stupid Boy Noises.B)