Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LittleYellow

Front End Panel Security

9 posts in this topic

Hi all.Funny thing happened today. Picked up dry cleaning and showed the cleaner Little Yellow. He wanted to see what's up front so I took the front panel off (put it in it's holder).Someone else came up and we're all talking about smart, and then a lady drove up to ask about it. So we're all yacking and afterwards, I drove home (not far). When I got home I found I had driven home with the front panel still in it's holder! Yikes!So now my new friends (and everyone driving by when I took it off) know how easy it is to remove the front panel. Eventually everyone will know.I haven't seen anything anywhere yet, but I'm wondering if there is a way to lock down the front panel. I was thinking about those hood wire pin things like they used to put on muscle cars. You can put pad locks on those. Any other ideas?Thanks in advance.LY

It's not like someone would mess with what's under there, like the windshield washer fluid, but I would be somewhat afraid they would take off with the panel just for fun/to piss you off (people can be stupid, so it wouldn't surprise me).

I have a couple of fishing leaders I need to attach to my 450 vent hatches. Same idea would work for the 451 - find a spot you could get hole through - get some stainless cable with loops in the end - put a pad lock on to keep things attached - as far as locking the thing - you could rig up something on the front levers - but they are so flimsy it would not deter a determined dumas. May be I need to find someone with a 451 that will let me take a few measurements - see if there is a better way.I know that a locking hood was a very popular option on the YJ and CJ Jeeps as they didn't have an internal hood release - and batteries etc. are expensive.Cheers,Cameron

I really need to look at one to see if the latch can be made out of something a bit stronger and then some sort of lock put on - I will try to buzz by the dealership the next few days.I am thinking the little pull out latch, the securing pin and plate can be made up in aluminum or stainless - then a lock tied in. I know the euro 451 we had a preview of was already having issues from someone not releasing the latches before they tried to lift the hood.Cheers,Cameron

Speedie, yer the best!I didn't get a chance to measure but it sounds like you've got the project covered.It looks like we might be working on an aftermarket product that could sell well. The aluminum replacement with locks, even if they're kinda small, is better than nothing.If you come up with something and get rich, send me a gas card or something, okay? lolBTW Thanks all for your comments and support. Also for the term, that kind name "dumas". I'd probably use stronger words so I'm gonna stick with dumas.Oh, and Speedie, since I'll be helping you beta test your hood locks, I get mine for free right?!LY

I have a couple of fishing leaders I need to attach to my 450 vent hatches. Same idea would work for the 451 - find a spot you could get hole through - get some stainless cable with loops in the end - put a pad lock on to keep things attached - as far as locking the thing - you could rig up something on the front levers - but they are so flimsy it would not deter a determined dumas. May be I need to find someone with a 451 that will let me take a few measurements - see if there is a better way.I know that a locking hood was a very popular option on the YJ and CJ Jeeps as they didn't have an internal hood release - and batteries etc. are expensive.Cheers,Cameron

Hello Cameron, do you have a picture on how to attach the fishing leaders with stainless cable? This sounds like a really good idea!Thanks.

Not yet - too many projects - too little me. There should be enough meat in some of the spots to drill and put a screw in to hook the leaders up to - I don't have a 451 to play with so haven't gotten around to getting going to the dealership (they are used to me laying on the floor and such) to measure things.Cheers,Cameron