Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Retired RCAF

My Luck

5 posts in this topic

Had the bad fortune to have one of my front Brake Pads De-laminate.Replaced them myself today but part of the operation is to loosen the Master Cylinder cap to compress the brake piston and to get at the master cylinder you must remove the access hatch grill at the right front of the car. Removed it an laid it on top of the left side hatch.Completed the brake job remembered to tighten the cap on the master cylinder and then took the car for a test drive of about 5Km to seat the pads and rotors.Then drove my daughter to work, another 5Km. Then continued west out onto Highway 1 for about another 6 or 7 Km and then decided to pull over and see if the rotors were very warm. The left rotor was fine, the right one was....WOW, the hatch was missing for the access to the Master Cylinder.Looked over to the left side of the hood and there it was still sitting there, held on only by gravity.After all the bumpy roads and bombin down the highway at 110Km/hr it was still just sitting there.Now that is my idea of Good Luck. Suppose I should head for a Lottery counter and buy some tickets.Retired RCAF

Why did you remove the cap? They are vented, and unless somebody topped up the fluid between pad changes (which should not be done by the way) the fluid should just rise to the top of the resevoir when the pistons are pushed all the way back in.

Wow. Good for you. Lucky. Glad it worked out. Great story too!

Posted (edited) · Report post

MightyMouseTech, it's in the instructions for Mazda and smart brake jobs. I just loosened it, did not remove. Maybe it just makes it easier as I pushed the piston by hand.Retired RCAF

Edited by Retired RCAF