Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kitty

2008 451 Gas Tank

30 posts in this topic

When filling the gas tank on the 2008 451s, how full can you get it?

As in, when you're at the pump and it stops automatically, does that mean it's full full, or can you squeeze up to the next dollar?

With my old Toyota Corolla waggon, I could always squirt in more gas after the pump stopped automatically. With my current Hyundai Accent, once the pump stops the thing is full. If I try to squirt in more, it spills out over the side of the car (that was unpleasant to learn).

I'd rather ask this on the forums than accidentally squirt gas all down the side of my beautiful new Smart when it arrives! :o

Not sure but my last tank, I drove til the low fuel light came on (3.5 litres is NOT a lot of reserve.... most car companies give you 10-15 litres reserve).Anyway, when I got to the station, it was already reading 3.0 litres. I pumped 30.093 litres of fuel into the 33 litre tank so I think it's safe to say that it's means full full. (as in Accent full, not Corolla full)

Generally it is a bad idea to top up a gasoline car's tank. The fuel vapour recovery system can be (expensively) damaged.

+1 on what Mike said. Fill until the pump kicks-out and it will give you 8 bars on the fuel gauge.

How low does the fuel gage have to read before you get the low fuel light or some kind of how much fuel is left in the tank indication? I have gone as low as 1/8 of a tank (last rectangular black bar) on the display.

Hi,I wnet until the last block disappeared. After that the gas tank symbol flashes for a bit and then the trip indicator tells you how many litres of gas are left and this goes down in .5 l increments. I found this out while searching for a gas station in downtown Vancouver!Geraldine

How low does the fuel gage have to read before you get the low fuel light or some kind of how much fuel is left in the tank indication? I have gone as low as 1/8 of a tank (last rectangular black bar) on the display.

When mine started blinking, it said I had 3.5 litres left

Do the US versions of the car give the fuel amount countdown in gallons (or fractions of a gallon, more likely)?

Generally it is a bad idea to top up a gasoline car's tank. The fuel vapour recovery system can be (expensively) damaged.

Is this something that affects only newer (like 90s+) cars? It used to be a source of pride to be able to stop the gas pump at the next full dollar amount, so you didn't have to make any change.

I once overfilled my 1976 Renault 5 (30 years ago) and the charcoal canister filled with liquid gasoline. So no, any gasoline car since the 1970s has this.

Huh. Weird.

I've only had two cars before my current one (the Accent), both from the late 80s, and I'd always been taught to adjust the fill a bit. Never had any issues with it; at least none that I knew about, and none any mechanic had ever let me know about (and being female, they usually try to pile on every tiny extra bit of work they can find when they check my car and give me an estimate).

I can honestly say I've never heard of problems with doing that until this thread here.

A lot of new cars have a "DO NOT TOP OFF" warning on either the gas cap or the flap. Our new MINI does.

nearly every gas station also has warning signs saying "do not top off" - also Owner's Manuals (i know, nobody reads these) also warn against topping off. as emissions standards become far more stringent, the possibility of $$$ damage also increase.

there is little to be gained by topping off and now, quite a bit to possibly lose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been wondering if my fuel level sensor and/or the display on my 451 is gimped... I have never seen it show "full". Not from the time it was delivered and not any time I've filled it. I've topped up a bit because of that figuring the pump was too sensitive, but then I actually overfilled and splashed a bit. Still, wouldn't show full. The very last segment of the bar doesn't light up ever. - Steven

It may just be the fact that I work for General Motors, but I never trust a fuel gauge in any car. I just use the low level indicator (or the reserve indicator as per the smart), and then once I know how far I generally go on a tank, I use the trip meter or odometer to give me an idea of how much is left in the tank. After 400 km in my 451, I take the next opportunity to fill the tank until it clicks. That way I don't run the tank too low which is hard on the pump, and I don't overfill. This has worked for me on all my vehicles, but it is just my opinion :)

Do the US versions of the car give the fuel amount countdown in gallons (or fractions of a gallon, more likely)?

Mine does countdown in fractions of a gallon, following a brief "1Gal" readout. I have taken it down to the last bar of the countdown a couple of times but fill ups were 7.8 gallons (29.5 liters) and 8.3 gallons (31.4 liters).So there may be a couple of liters left after the reserve gauge reaches zero bars, but I'm not testing this theory :o Scott

I've been wondering if my fuel level sensor and/or the display on my 451 is gimped... I have never seen it show "full". Not from the time it was delivered and not any time I've filled it. I've topped up a bit because of that figuring the pump was too sensitive, but then I actually overfilled and splashed a bit. Still, wouldn't show full. The very last segment of the bar doesn't light up ever. - Steven

Then I think you might have a problem lol. Mine goes straight to full after a refuel. It doesn't slowly fill up the bars.

Mine does countdown in fractions of a gallon, following a brief "1Gal" readout. I have taken it down to the last bar of the countdown a couple of times but fill ups were 7.8 gallons (29.5 liters) and 8.3 gallons (31.4 liters).So there may be a couple of liters left after the reserve gauge reaches zero bars, but I'm not testing this theory :o Scott

Someone at SCOA said there's still 3 litres left after it reads 0.0L. However, I pumped 30 litres when it said it had 3.0 litres left so unless the tank is actually 36 litres but the system is calibrated to show it's 33 litres, I'm not gonna run it down to 0.0.

Just fill it SLOWLY.. or if you use a station that has the latch on the handle to allow you to let go, put it on the SLOWEST setting. This will ensure that the tank actually totally fills up and the gage reads correctly.I've also had the gage not read full and it's just because I filled very quickly. I think this might happen because there may a part of the tank (like an auxiliary section or something, that draws from the main part) that takes more time to fill.

Ok, next time I fill, I'll let it sit for a good minute then fill again slowly to the click. See where it ends up.

Hi Kitty Have you gotten your smart yet? The picture in yourprofile is a twin to our "Meg" We have been able to round up with no obvious issues, but in the end does it really matter if yoursmart is full or kinda full? Happy Driving Lesley(Megs folks) B)

Hey, forgot all about this thread.Update from my situation above: It just started working!?! Couldn't say why. Filling slowly made no difference. Then one fill, it first showed all but one blob but then as I was driving.. there it was! For the first time since I got the car, I saw full!! Then a couple of fills where it wasn't there but ever since, it does now show full after a fill. So I have no clue what was up. - Steven

That's really odd.In my case it's like clockwork, perfectly duplicatable every-time. If I pump quickly (from empty), I always get one bar missing on the guage.. but if I put the gas-nozzle on the slow setting and take that extra 30 seconds the guage always reads full.

The gauge not showing full when actually full seems to be a commonly reported problem, at least on the SCOA forum. Filling sloooowly, at least the last few liters, or stopping and letting it sit for 30 seconds or so, seems to result in a full fill. A fast fill rate always seems to shut off when there's room for at least another 4 liters or so. IMHO the tank holds 37.8 liters/10 gallons, but I've had that debate before and it's hard to convince people of it, even though many people report fillups of well over 9 gallons and one dealer put in 10.4 gallons after letting their demo idle until it quit (for 10 hours) when the gauge read 0.0.

Are you folks accounting for the fizz? When you fill a tank the fuel fizzes up as you go. In a small car this fizz heads up the pipe as suds and shuts off the nozzle. Filling slowly or waiting a few seconds allows the suds to go down (think soda pop) so that the tank finishes filling without the suds shutting it off. If you look into the pipe while filling (take the nozzle out and off now and then) you'll see the suds bubbling up.