Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cora Napple

car cover for coupe/cabrio

32 posts in this topic

Thought this was a neat idea....faster and easier to put on than a whole car cover. www.capoptop.com. or item # 290241947805 on ebay. Cora

Wow, that looks pretty neat. I wonder how hard it would be to make something like that?Sure would help with my glass rood and our large windshield.Retired RCAF

I ordered one too. They say delivery might get here in 10 days which would mean I'd have it in time for the trip. This could make things a lot easier while on the road. You don't like your car heating up, you know? Also if it does keep the car cool enough, it would allow us to leave the dog in the car instead of finding local kennels when enjoying sights that aren't dog friendly.

I got mine yesterday - and it really does only take about 30 seconds to put on and off. I'm quite pleased - I had it on most of the day today with the car sitting out in full Arizona sun at about 95 degrees and it was quite comfortable inside when I took it off. I have a cab and it should prolong the life of the top, too.

... waiting for piccies of this on your car! Did you order the smallest size then?:sun:

Here you go - and the size is C18 / 2008 Smart Cabriolet.

Nice! So is the front tension retained by the wiper blades? Looks like the fabric is pulling against them - bending the rubbers?That is, how would it be with the front edge OVER the wipers?:sun:

Wiper rubbers are always under tension.Edit:spelling correction

Edited by kwaldron

The front flap just lays over the windshield - there's not really any tension. It's made out of Tyvek which is very thin, very strong, and breathable. Where I live if the wipers weren't holding down the flap the wind would catch it and the car would soon be naked! Here are a couple of closeups.

post-5706-1216228484_thumb.jpg

post-5706-1216228501_thumb.jpg

Edited by sheureka

Thanks - looks really good at a great price!

Yes, that does look nice, and should keep the car a lot cooler. I am just surprised that the elastic alone can keep the cover on in a wind. Especially some of the winds we get around here. Thanks for all the pics, vy well done. doris

wow.. it says my reply was rejected. hmmmmmm. Anyways the cover looks real cool. Just surprised that the elastic alone can keep it in place in the winds. Nice pics too. Thanksdoris-

I am just surprised that the elastic alone can keep the cover on in a wind.

There are cords that pull it tight in the back, and closing the hatch with those inside seems to keep it pretty secure. We'll see.

Ohhh, just two days of mail left and I'm waiting on mine plus my calling cards. Haven't had any mail all week. Sheesh!

Got mine today YAY! :lol: I was really hoping it'd get here in time for the trip! It's a weird fabric, reminds me of paper disposable overalls but much thicker and stronger. I thought it was a pretty tight fit when I started putting it on but found that I just had to be more assertive with the back tie strings and get them routed down under the tailgate bottom and pulled tight. You can still peer in the back window a slice but that probably will get stretched out with use too. This not only provides protection from the hot sun for my little glass box car, but privacy too when out there parked with all our stuff.I'll have to let you know how it works on the trip in some real world situations but for $70 I still think it's a great deal!

Mine is sitting in Burnaby still waiting to clear customs.... It should be here in a couple of days...Hate waiting!!!

I thought it was a pretty tight fit when I started putting it on but found that I just had to be more assertive with the back tie strings and get them routed down under the tailgate bottom and pulled tight. You can still peer in the back window a slice but that probably will get stretched out with use too.

My strings are just pulled tight below the window, not under the tailgate. I pull it tight with the tailgate down, and then the strings get locked inside. The area below the tailgate gets so hot I was afraid I'd either have to stand around waiting for it to cool off or I'd melt the strings and the plastic slide thingy.

My strings are just pulled tight below the window, not under the tailgate. I pull it tight with the tailgate down, and then the strings get locked inside. The area below the tailgate gets so hot I was afraid I'd either have to stand around waiting for it to cool off or I'd melt the strings and the plastic slide thingy.

Thanks for the tip Sheureka! I'll try that instead next time. The car was just sitting in the garage when I tried it today. Is it just me or is this thing a real pain to get folded back up into it's little "pouch" sewn on the back of the windshield flap? Any tricks I could try? Maybe it needs to be folded as you take it off the car?

I followed the instructions :P and didn't have a problem. Bring it from the back until it's laying on the windshield, undo the passenger side mirror, and then start rolling from the passenger side into a bundle that's about 6 inches wide. When you get to the part with the pouch, unfasten the driver's side mirror and then turn the pouch inside out around the bundle you made. Stuff in the driver's mirror and put the elastic band around the whole thing.I realize that makes absolutely no sense when you read it, but when you actually try it on the car it works. :)

Edited by sheureka

Ahhh, you read the instructions and it tells how! LOL, I was too excited about it all and left them laying unattended in the basement. Once again RTFM to the rescue! Thanks, now I still don't have to read 'em because you just wrote it down! LOL

WOW, finally found a car cover that's quick and easy to go on!!The OEM cover is just too bothersome to put on, while cheap cover from walmart doesn't fit nicely and hard to put on.Just ordered one!! desperately need it to save my cabrio's roof from bird droppings!!

Just thought I'd add a couple of photos of the top on a 450. Anyone else receive theirs?

post-219-1218510414_thumb.jpg

post-219-1218510447_thumb.jpg

I had mine just in time for our road trip and I was SO grateful to have it. When you're living in your car, all your valuables and sometimes your dog locked in, security and heat resistance are quite important. Like in the Fry's parking lot we wanted to go in. The sun was beating down and the pavement radiating and it was HOT. We not only used the poptop, but left the windows down nearly 6" under it because, after all, you can't see them, yet the top is far enough out from them to let air move. Dan went out 20mins later to check and all was cool. We kept shopping. Two hours later we were done enjoying the shelves and the car was still comfortably cool and the dog was fine. We used it rain or shine whenever the car was parked. It not only prevented our gear from overheating, but deterred theft by hiding the contents. I gotta say, this pop top was the best thing I've bought for my car yet! It goes on fast, comes off fast, is easy enough to use even for quick stops, and fits neatly under the driver's seat when driving. All that for under a hundred bucks. Oh, and it's held up well. It stretched a bit but it needed to, and it hasn't torn, worn, or gotten filthy.Ohh, one caveat, it can be challenging to work with in a wind. I should have got a pic that day it billowed up from the back while still held on the front. It looked like a sail and I thought it would be really funny to post the pic stating I'd invented smart car sail power.

Edited by yolanda