Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clvrchik

HELP! Bert is leaking something onto the garage floor from his front

13 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'm not the first smart with this issue, but I really am not sure what I'm looking for in all the previous posts. Can someone let me know what my smart could be leaking onto the ground from the front and if I should book service for it?I noticed the puddle last night when I got home, and I haven't tried to start it yet this morning... I guess if it doesn't start, I'll have a completely different set of issues to ask about...Even if you can tell me what thread to read, that would be great... thanks all.

Dip a clean paper towel in the liquid and see what colour it is. Motor oil would be black, antifreeze clearish green?, brake fluid clear with a sharp smell, windshield washer fluid clearish with a blue tinge, or maybe orange if you are using one of the bug formulas.On the other hand, do you have A/C? It could just be from melting ice.MG

Have you been using the air-conditioning much lately? It could simply be the condensate draining. Does the puddle just look like water?

If the liquid is coloured, the problem could be a coolant leak. See Kane's page here. Keep an eye on the engine temperature indicator!

HTH,

Bil :sun:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are you sure it is not just water from the A/C system?Edit: Damn, hit "reply" too slow and this is what happens...

Edited by MightyMouseTech

hey, wow fast replies...the puddle looked like water, but it was under the car and i couldn't get a good look at colour. there's nothing left on the floor this morning, so i'm hoping just water, but does antifreeze or ac coolant evaporate as quickly?i did drive with the ac on yesterday being that it was over 30 degrees celcius up here... i'm on my way out to an appointment, so here's hoping it starts for me and that the ac still works. i'll let you know if it happens again.i didn't realize the ac builds up ice that melts when you stop... is that in the manual?

Posted (edited) · Report post

A/C also dehumidifies (at least on my Altima, no A/C on our smart) so it could just be the condensate draining out.Damn, what Bill said!

Edited by lebikerboy

It could also just be road splash (ie. drove through a puddle) :) And in that case it could be any colour.

When I was chasing an airlock problem in my coolant system, I overfilled my rad a few times. I freaked at the puddle of clear, slightly viscous liquid (MB rad fluid) that was dribbling from my car. Eddy had to calm me down. If it had been green, I wouldn't have panicked.

I live in Georgia. It's hot and humid here. If I didn't see a puddle under my car I would think the AC was not working. I think you are just seeing water from the AC. It's quite normal and nothing to worry about. You said the puddle was gonein the morning. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

ok, i've added to my shoe and handbag collection, and by doing so, drove bert all around (litterally) the city of Edmonton.Got back and didn't notice a puddle right away, but I just went out again and the puddle is forming. Of course, it's sweltering here today again, so I ran the AC most of the time I was driving... Which means, the car still starts and runs fine, and the AC is still workin' good... From what you all have said, I'm gonna chalk it up to AC condensation... Thank you everyone for making my Friday better... I was worried for a minute there... Happy weekend, all!

It could also just be road splash (ie. drove through a puddle) :) And in that case it could be any colour.

That would imply that the temp here has been below the boiling point of water, and that any puddles could have been formed by any process B) In other words, I really should have asked for A/C when I bought my smart.MG

Condensation sounds about right - I was in the same situation with our van before heading to Calgary.Coolant/antifreeze doesn't evaporate as quickly as water, it sticks around for a bit and probably would be colored.

yep A/C water clvrchick, mine does it all the time, had the same reaction when I first saw it WTH!!! :o Now I'm just yeh I have A/C. :D

Edited by Daren2006