Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

How-To: Installing aftermarket LED side markers

95 posts in this topic

Hope you can see the details - my camera doesn't do micro~ very well...

You can read the part number - the vendor changed one of the digits though.

post-95-1127097506_thumb.jpg

post-1-1127097506.jpg

Just got mine today too.

The back has that same 'bowtie' shape that will (should?) fit right into the black plastic bezel.

Tak was able to twist out his side lights without removing the front end. Not sure how painful it was to do so.

The back of the lights have the same two prong connection that the existing lights have and should be plug and play. Don't need any pigtail thingy.

I'll try installing mine over the lunch hour and will snap a pic or two.

-kirk

just checked Tak's post at mbcanada. You don't need to remove the front end and it's twist 90 degrees counter-clockwise to remove, 90 degrees clockwise to reattach. Apparently they're a VERY tight fit.

-Kirk.

Ok. Check this out.

I was off at a client's and figured I'd spend a few moments after the meeting and swap the lights!

Here's the tool I used (made). It's an old set of BBQ tongs which I bent so they'd grab the sides of the light. Pinch them onto the sides (don't scuff up the black plastic grommet) and turn counter-clockwise. It's tight but they do turn.

post-30-1127143283.jpg

Here's the light popped out.

There's only a little bit of wire slack so don't reef on it.

(Ignore all the dirt on my car)

post-30-1127143322.jpg

Here's the new light!!

Direct plug and play. Absolutely identical in connector, shape and fitting piece on the back.

post-30-1127143396.jpg

All in all, the driver's side took 30 seconds to replace but the passenger side took 10 minutes.

With the pass side, there was less slack on the wires and the connector fell back into the fender. Just had to take the 5 torque bolts out, pop out the fender and push the connector back out the grommet hole. Having a set of needle nose pliers was pretty helpful too.

...Tak was able to twist out his side lights without removing the front end...

Where is Tak these days? I haven't seen any recent posts from him in this forum or the other.

Just for the record, can you post where you go them from and what the part numbers are?

Thanks.

Looks great. I want a set of those. Could you tell us how bright they are day and night compared with the originals?

Here's the URL for the lights. It tends to take a second or two to load but be patient.

The part number is MX-M16280YCL. You can also get ones with amber or red glass (different part numbers) rather than clear but I think the clear ones are far cooler.

Email Steve Peterson (speterson@partssystems.com) at Parts Systems. He's a friendly guy. Parts Systems is the cheapest source I could find and one of the few companies that offered the clear plastic/amber LED combination.

Feel free to mention you're a Canadian smart car driver as when I originally sourced the part I told him that there may be others from the great white north wanting to get their hands on these. I also sent him a pic of the final install which he thought was pretty neat.

I'll grab a night shot for you DD.

-Kirk

Awesome! I've sent my email off to Steve asking for a price.Thanks for the pics, great to see them on a similar.(what's with the raver pants in the 'driver side' pic?) :P

(what's with the raver pants in the 'driver side' pic?)

Raver pants? Us old guys call them parachute pants. I always put them on before taking photos or jamming out to some MC Hammer. :bustamove:

Maybe it could be a group smartieparts buy! I'll even write a review for s_mack (if he can afford it :biglaugh: )

I think it would be a FAB idea if Smartieparts carried that item.

They are small and cheap enough that he shouldn't have any issues.

I'll take 2 pairs!