Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bilgladstone

How-To: Installing aftermarket LED side markers

95 posts in this topic

Just a bit of advice, try your local truck supply store or even something like NAPA. The lights are STANDARD TRUCK/TRAILER 2.5" clearance marker lights which can be found at most truck/auto part stores. If you are lucky, a supplier in your home town might even have the clear LED ones. Getting the clear LED ones will be the tricky part but more and more trucks are starting to use LED ones. Try that first before trying to have things shipped from far away. I will look around here in Calgary to see what I can find this weekend. If I find anything I will post the supplier.

Nice looking car by the way! Thanks for the pics!

Yes do have a look around. These are 9LED lights. I'm sure a saw some 13LED lights someplace too!

Sounds good Dang, I'll take that extra set off of your hands. BTW what are you installing in your smart now? Did you get your new touchscreen HU?

I just ordered the last pair from Parts System. More will be coming in 10 days. Shipping was only $3.75. He said that he suddenly had a bunch of orders from Canada! :yes2:

Hey Dean (and others) - just try to get them from wherever direct - I'd have to charge $12 a set so its not worth it, plus I'd have to buy 50 units... which *might* have been ok, but you guys are all buying them too fast :)

So I'm going to pass on this one I think - they aren't giving me good enough terms.

- Steven

Sounds good Dang, I'll take that extra set off of your hands. BTW what are you installing in your smart now? Did you get your new touchscreen HU?

Yep, head unit....fog lights...putting the side markers in....converting the side markers and front turn signals...different sub...etc.

If any one needs me I'll be in the garage all day. :bustamove:

Later!

Dang

Anyone interested in a group buy since S_Mack's not inerested?

I need 4 of them.

Hey all... I found another supplier for these LEDs. The US supplier was US$6.92 each plus shipping from the US. The conversion has that at around the CAD$8.20 mark (plus shipping). I found a Canadian supplier that will sell any quantity for CAD$8.54 each - but he "urged" that it should be a minimum of 20 units... whatever the heck "urge" means.

He was NOT interested in giving any sort of "group price" because (in his words) he's making "a buck each" and he has to pay the freight (they don't stock them) from NYC.

Also, as I was in the middle of typing this, I finally heard back from the US supplier about my pricing - and its not much of a discount AND there's freight from the US. So I am not interested in carrying his in my store.

So I think there are three options here:

1) Individually order from that US site (linked above). If you get dinged for taxes and duty, I estimate this to be probably close to $35 after exchange and shipping costs. Likely get it the quickest (from now).

2) Do a "group buy" as a one-time deal with the Canadian supplier. Probably get it the cheapest (likely around $28 per person after shipping and taxes and re-shipping)

3) I can carry them in SmartieParts and you can buy at our pleasure through me. He's not giving me a discount either - so I'd be paying the same as we would with a group buy - and I'd have to mark it up and cover shipping. So its probably the most expensive option for you, but the quickest once I've got them in. What's the price? Well - you know my cost is $17.08 +pst (gst is a wash) for a pair. To cover transaction fees, re-packaging, and get a profit it would have to go for around the $30 mark - and then local shipping and taxes. If they fit in a small envelope (kinda doubt it) shipping could be as low as a buck - or as high as $8 - $10.

This is most definately a case where I won't be offended if you don't choose option #3... honestly, the profit on this will likely not be worth the extra hassle of dealing with a one-off supplier. I'm interested in doing it if it makes it easier for you guys.

If we collectively choose to do a group buy, then I'm in for a pair for sure. I'm going to buy from the CDN supplier regardless... if I'm on my own, or in a group buy, or as a stock order. Before you ask - I'm not going to name the supplier here because he strongly indicated that he didn't want to deal with one-offs... so if it IS going to be a one-off... its going to be MY one off :)

Dean - unless you were keen on doing it, I'll handle the group buy if that's what we choose. I know you're busy and I already found the contact.

Btw. I phoned the manufacturer of these items in NY and found out the distributor cost was "around $5 (US)" - so even if we continuted to hunt I don't think we'd get much of a discount on these.

I'm going to start a poll and we can let majority rule on this decision.

- Steven

I don't care how we get them, but I'd like 5 lights (one spare) for our two cars.

Of course I'd like to pay as little as possible but am willing to support Steve if he carries them in his store. I think they are a GREAT item for him to carry but I understand carrying ultra low profit items...

You're right... forget this poll nonsense... I'll bring some in, charge what I have to charge, and people that want to buy can :) Its not that big of a deal either way and I'm sure they'll sell sooner or later and its not like I need a warehouse to stock them.

They'll be on their way ASAP, but they have to come from NY first.

- Steven

Cool! Let us know when they come in... I'd like to put my name down for a pair.

Unfortunately - there's no ETA I'm afraid. I ordered 23 - enough for 10 cars plus my own plus Dean's "extra" :)

I'll put it up on SmartieParts as soon as I have a chance.

- Steven

Kirk and Bil - do you guys mind if I use your photos on my site? The ones from the manufacturer are tres boring.

- Steven

Sure, Steven. Go ahead and use my pix.

Always happy to help energetic entrepreneurs!

I have no problem with that. Are they the identical light as your NY source?

Thanks Kirk and Bil.Yes Kirk, they are the exact same part number and manufacturer as you quoted earlier this thread.- Steven

Just ordered a pair and an inside back LED light. Just ship it all when the side markers come in. No need to rush the back light